Para-Cord Wrap, help or harm?

jdboy

Enlightened
Hello all, I'm new to the flashlight hobby and I have a quick question. I recently purchased a couple new to me lights. Neither has a pocket clip or a place for a lanyard. What I done was to wrap the bodies with Para-cord. One I wrapped and left a large loop sort of like a built in wrist lanyard. The other I wrapped and left just a small loop so I can hook to a belt lanyard with a 35mm McGizmo clasp on the end. The question is, will this cause my lights to build excess heat? I've read several posts that state that the hand contact actually acts like a heat sink of sorts. Any suggestions or thoughts would be helpful, thanks!!

Last edited:

UberLumens

Newly Enlightened
what are the lights?

Para-cord will insulate some but it may not be a concern for moderate powered lights.

(you could always just wrap the back 1/3 for your loop, so your hand does have some contact)

jdboy

Enlightened
One is an Elektro Lumens EDC-XM-L and the other is a Mac's Custom Tri-EDC made for 2 18350s.

UberLumens

Newly Enlightened
ok those two will make some heat.
It would be best to have some direct contact with your hand for any extended use.

jdboy

Enlightened
I kinda figured you was going to say that so I redone the wraps last night. I done a simple single line loop on the Mac and a double line with overhand knot on the Elektro. Thanks for your input on this subject!!

AnotherADDiction

Newly Enlightened
I would be concerned about the light getting caught in something and not being able to get away - there is no break-away part. The cord is rated for probably 550lbs - what is your arm? most lanyards have a part that will be able to break without causing you harm.

jdboy

Enlightened
I would be concerned about the light getting caught in something and not being able to get away - there is no break-away part. The cord is rated for probably 550lbs - what is your arm? most lanyards have a part that will be able to break without causing you harm.

Good point, I'll probably try to find some of quick release for the Elektro Lumens.

Latest posts