Sonic Observations

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Got my Sonic a few days ago and decided to put it to the ultimate test. It would replace the ARC AAA in my pocket. First off, it really seems to fit the pocket as well as ARC in spite of slightly larger size. I like ARC's full knurling better. The switch is very smooth, much like the Dorcy AAA. The beam seems slightly brighter than standard ARC, but same color. Sonic's beam appeared almost identical to my Photon 3 Covert in width and brightness. Throw seemed slightly greater than ARC.

While Sonic has it's good points, it looses some in its size and feeling of lesser robustness compared to ARC. Like most of us here, I've been spoiled, and will return my ARC to its rightful place.

Sonic

Newly Enlightened
Nice review. Very useful information. But I thought this thread was about me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Sonic

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
I was going to going to make the observation that the chili cheeze dogs at the Sonic are the best in town!

JJHitt

Enlightened
Let me ask about the OD (outer diameter) ... I have a hole I've wanted to stick an ARC AAA in but which doesn't quite fit. Is the Sonic noticably skinnier than the ARC (not counting that bulbous switch thingie).

[The place I want to stick it is inside the Tool Logic SL-1 knife. The provided LED light sucks, but it's a nice knife.)

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
The largest part of the body is the knurled grip, which is one half inch - the same as the ARC; however, the tailcap/switch is larger (0.565 in).

Eric_M

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
JJHitt said:
Let me ask about the OD (outer diameter) ... I have a hole I've wanted to stick an ARC AAA in but which doesn't quite fit. Is the Sonic noticably skinnier than the ARC (not counting that bulbous switch thingie).

[The place I want to stick it is inside the Tool Logic SL-1 knife. The provided LED light sucks, but it's a nice knife.)

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a good thing you clarified that statement. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DLG

Newly Enlightened
My EDC is now a Sonic. Don't really notice it in my pocket. While I've never owned an ARC AAA and have read much about its merits here, I'm very satisifed with the Sonic.

Price was right too.