New looking for a couple lights EDC ect.

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
Well as I have read in a couple other threads I started looking at a new quality flashlight and I am over whelmed by the amount of lights Fenix offers, let alone all the other companies. I use to carry a Photon micro light II for every day carry but there not very bright anymore comparatively and you can almost buy a new one for the price of the battery.

I'm looking for one light for EDC and another larger one (maybe 2 of the same) for in my car and camping. Right now I just own a Mini Mag converted to LED and some cheapos that usually need to be hit or opened and shut again to work. Id like them to be water resistant and I would prefer AA's to CR123's but I'm willing to try them.

For EDC I really like the new Fenix E05 but then theres the LD01 with double the lumens or If I went to AA theres the LD10 and LD15 what are the pros and cons between these 2 sets of lights?

Then for my other light the LD 20, 25, and 40 the PD 20, 30, and 31 and the TK12 and TK15 all could for just fine.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome: Fenix makes great lights, there are some other great manufacturers but if you wanna stick with them I suggest the Fenix LD10 and the TK21 to start with. One for functio. And one for wow

srfreddy

Enlightened
The E05 is a nice Keychain light, the LD10 is a good EDC, the TK41 a good nightstand/wow light, the LD25 is a nice all around, "outdoorsy" light, or general use around the house.

Thefo

Newly Enlightened
The LD20 is a nice little 2AA light too and run well on Eneloops

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the LD01 is absolutely an awesome light! I had an original single-level L0P, then a three-level L0P SE, and for the last 18 months or so, an LD01. I usually run an NiMH in it, but it's definitely fun to throw an 10440 in there to impress folks plus the low is still pretty usable.

My basic feeling on lights is this: If I can only own one light, it will be a 2 or 3 level light that runs on an AAA cell to keep on my keychain and if I can add one more light, it will be something in the 2x123/1x18650 range. I have a Fenix TK11 which is a more tactical-oriented light, but I want something that absolutely turns on on the max setting every single time. I have a Surefire C2 with a 3 level XML drop-in because I like the lower low output, but the host won't hold an 18650 so that's a significant hit on runtime on the higher settings.

I do really like the idea of the E05 and I'll probably end up snagging one for my #1 keychain but if I could only have one 1xAAA light, I want something with multiple modes.

1xAA light is too big for a keychain light in my opinion and if I'm going to have something bigger than a 1xAAA, I'll step up to the 1x18650 size.

I have carried an older modded HDS light for several years that is 1x123 size but I've always felt it was a bit too bulky to be ideal so maybe having a 1xAA light instead might be the trick. If I had to order today, I'd go for a Zebralight for something in this category.

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
So between the E05 and LD01 the LD01 had multiple modes and 72 lumens vs 30 but costs twice as much and the E05 has more of a flood beam?

Would they both be good for reading or finding your way in the dark?

blackkhawk51us

Newly Enlightened
I carry a fenix PD20 R5 and i love it i would recomend it or even the PD30 is a great light as well.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a very small cr123 light the PD10 is great. Always starts on medium, three modes 180 lumens on high. I splurged and got the titanium one ;)

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:

Size of the flashlight is important for EDC regarding pocket-ability. Size comparison picture:
Fenix L1D in holster, (LD10 in holster).
Quark MiNi AA2, 2AA Twisty
MiniMag with kroll switch, 2AA Clicky.
Fenix L1D, (LD10) 1AA Clicky.
Quark MiN AA, (LD15) 1AA Twisty.
Fenix L0D (LD01, E05) 1AAA Twisty.
AAA-AA-2AA-size.jpg

If you want to carry the light on your keychain, stay with 1AAA. AAs are too heavy.
- The E05 is a single mode floody beam. A single blob of light, the others have a hotspot/spill beam pattern. (comparison beamshots of the LD05 here: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...SS-R2-comparison-and-Beam-Shot-(A-lot-of-pics) )
- The LD01 is a multimode, starting with the most used medium, then the low for close in work or when you do not want to disturb others, then the brightest the tiny AAA battery can produce, finally the blinky modes strobe & SOS.
-
If you wear tight jeans with tight pockets I prefer the 1AA twisty. The extra length of the click switch makes the light noticeable in the pocket. I used to carry my L1D in the supplied holster on my belt instead. For dress or cargo pants with bigger/looser pockets this is not a problem.
- 1AA twisties include the Fenix LD15, Quark MiNi AA, Nitecore EZAA amongst others.
- 1AA clickies are Fenix LD10, Quark AA standard, Quark AA tactical.
I do not recommend getting a pocket EDC with a head bigger than the body like a Quark Turbo. My 1st LED EDC was a Dorcy AAA. The head was only 1/8 inch wider than the tail but enough to be uncomfortable in jeans pockets. (Look at my avatar to see what I did to it.)
Check the UI. You want your most used mode to always come on 1st. Fenix tend to go medium-low-high in their small lights. Quarks tend to go low-medium-high. Some other brands make you go through the blinky modes every time you want to change levels.
-
- The Quark MiNi AA2 is the shortest 2AA I know and can sit comfortably in my jeans back pocket clipped vertically. Its high is close to double the brightness of most 1AA lights.
-
For the car a 2AA is preferable, easier to find.
-
For camping a neutral tint is preferable. Regular LEDs are too blue to show vegetation properly.
- Fenix LD25-R4 Cree XP-G R4, NW LED 2xAA Model.
- Fenix LD40 Cree XP-G R4, NW LED 4xAA Model.
If it does not say Neutral White (sometimes called warm white) it isn't.

Last edited:

Lightman2

Enlightened
I'm a Zebra fan (SC51 for me) but when I am out and about in the city I take the Quark Mini 123 (real small and plenty of power).

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
Well I just picked up and LD01 and I like it and for my car I think I'm going to pic up a LD25.

Thanks for that pic LEDninja I like how small the Quark MiN AA is. Does anyone know where I can get the R4 30 lumen edition of the E05?

srfreddy

Enlightened
Well I just picked up and LD01 and I like it and for my car I think I'm going to pic up a LD25.

Thanks for that pic LEDninja I like how small the Quark MiN AA is. Does anyone know where I can get the R4 30 lumen edition of the E05?

The R4 version has a floodier beam, FYI. I think lightjunction/fenix outfitters had them last time I checked-I got the R2 version.

Samy

Enlightened
I've got the Klarus ST20. Every night i am amazed by the amount of light this thing pumps out... i also use the super low light mode every night too.

KlarusST20.jpg

Check it out, seriously awesome light. I'm probably going to get the 1AA ST10 version too after being impressed with the ST20.

cheers

tam17

Enlightened
New LD01 is a good choice, I have older R2 version with PWM and (sadly) violet-ish tint on Low and Medium level. LD15 is also an excellent choice for pocket carry - simple, modest and inconspicuous but ready and reliable when you need it. Good runtime with NiMH, floody beam... no cons for this one IMO.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the E05 and LD01 and prefer to carry the E05 on my keychain, matter of fact ever since the E05 was introduced my LD01 has not seen much use. The smaller size and floody output of the E05 make it a great keychain light, the single output makes things easy and it's plenty bright enough. I have both the R2 and R5 version of the E05 and prefer the XPG-R5, I prefer the flood of the XP-G and really any extra throw the R2 has in the E05 is negligible, the R2 stays on my wife's keychain and she really likes the E05 as well.

Even if you already have the LD01 the E05 is worth picking up so you can compare them yourself, if you find you still prefer the LD01 then you can put the E05 on a different set of keys or use it for whatever.