M61WL vs. M61WLL

prof student

Enlightened
So, I think that the LED I have actually been waiting for is finally being produced by Gene. However, now I am now at the point of "which one?", lol. Yes, as most of y'all will say, "why not buy both?", or the notion of you can't make a light brighter, but you can make a bright light run longer (bring extra batteries, lol) and less bright by using something to diffuse the beam. Unfortunately it is not in my finances right now to purchase both. So, it will have to be one for right now.

Specs:
M61WL - 125 lumens - 5 hours
M61WLL - 70 lumens - 10 hours

Well, the question is......can you REALLY tell the difference between 70 vs 125 lumens? I have read here before that to really see a clear difference, lumens has to be 3 or 4 times greater. So, is that true, or can you tell a difference between 70 vs 125 lumens?

woodentsick

Enlightened
My Zebralight SC51w has a 172-lumen mode and an 86-lumen mode. The difference is definitely noticeable, but it really isn't all that significant....

Hint: What are you planning on using this flashlight for? ;)

In most circumstances I'd choose the M61WLL over the WL, considering the very significant increase in runtime.

latestarter

Newly Enlightened
I dont have either of the modules you mention...but i do have a m61 and a m61L.They have a 85 lumen diference not 55 but i find it very noticable if thats any help

cheers David

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
I have both, yes, I can tell a difference easily. I think the WL is the best compromise between brightness and runtime. Especially if running in a MD2 with a hi low ring. However, if you are going to be using this for up close or indoor work, the WLL can't be beat.

I got 8 hours on a 18650 on the WL, and 17.5 hours on a 18650 on the WLL.

You can't go wrong here, but, if I had to keep only one, it would be the WL. This is simply based on the fact I rarely if ever need that much runtime.

shane45_1911

Enlightened
The difference between 70 lm and 125 lm is quite apparent. A 55 lm difference at low levels is much more obvious than say, the difference between 900 and 955 lm.

Regardless, the posts above have basically answered your questions (hopefully).

I like the M60WLL for my SHTF/bugout bag, where runtime is king. For general use (especially indoors), the M60WL gets the call.