Streamlight SL-20 XP charger hot

FTJoe

Newly Enlightened
Three LEDs and regular bulb. Long story short, got one of these 2 years back which floated around the basement until I ran across it this weekend. Tired of not having working flashlights when the power goes out, I mounted the charger and plugged the flashlight in. Charger seemed hot but battery was taking a charge and the little red led charging light is on.

Two days later, charging light on (does it ever go out?), charger still hot, regular light from the flashlight seems a little weak but lasted at least 45 minutes before I decided to put the light back in the charger. Is this a battery or bulb issue? Would cycling it help? I forgot to put my DVM on it but can do so tonight.

Also, any decent cheap upgrades (bang for the buck) assuming I get it working well again? I see folks upgrading the bulb and the lens maybe?

Sad news is I have another floating around the house somewhere but can't find it (yes I am that disorganized).

OT - found this site after researching the Costco three pack Techlites I bought for $15. Might be posting about those in a few days after getting my 22600 batteries.

FTJoe

Newly Enlightened
So charger is still hot. Bulb seems weak, battery is measuring 5.48V. I hate to just toss the light but am thinking of spending a little money to try a new battery. I just don't want to find out something else is awry having wasted the money. When folks say they upgrade the light to from x20 to x35, is that the regular bulb they are replacing?

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have several SL-20XP flashlights. The interface between the flashlight and the charger usually seem warm. The red light is normally on all the time. It sounds to me like your battery is failing. Streamlight warranty service has a good reputation, so if you contact them like Robin 24 suggested, you'll get good advice and maybe free service. I doubt they would replace an old battery.... but it never hurts to ask. Part of the charging electronics is in the charging base and part is in the flashlight switch assembly. I believe that it's the electronics causing the heat.

Vinniec5

Enlightened
sorry joe but you need a battery sounds like you have a dead cell in the pack and the heat is from the resistance in the bad cell. leaving ni-cads for that long a time is a no-no nicads like to be used. I'd by two batts and for 80-90 bucks have two new lights I forgot I had and if i wanted a little more light slap a terralux upgrade in it too. They are great lights to have and easy to update

FTJoe

Newly Enlightened
Thanx everyone, ordered one battery form optics planet. Will get another if I ever find my other flashlight..sniff sniff.

The terralux upgrades look great but looks like I'm out of luck having the XP version.