Amid the flurry of new LED lights... the LF3XT STILL stands as a pinnacle light...

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like many of you, I've been enjoying many of the new lights and hot-new-emitters (XM-L, etc) including Thrunight, Fenix XM-L lights, Zebralight, L-Mini, S-Mini, Preon, Quark, JetBeam, etc.

Yet, I still find, to this day, that in spite of all these wonderful other lights, the Liteflux LF3XT with XR-E Q5 stands among them as one of the very best lights I've ever owned... and I find it's utility every bit as strong - or stronger - than many of todays newer, brighter lights. I think once one attains a certain level of maximum brightness for a general use light, like the LF3XT does with the XR-E Q5, the utility of greater brightness ~for a general use light~ drops off quickly. But the amazing interface, features (like built-in, under-load battery tester!), and the smooth, creamy, beautiful beam and tint of the LF3XT never fails to impress.

Anyway, I just wanted to celebrate the LF3XT a little bit and say that I'm dismayed that Liteflux has been directing its production attention toward it's other products rather than toward making more flashlights... that's a real loss for the flashlight lovers of the world.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, you make many good and valid points. I agree for the EDC we've reached brightness and runtime levels that are generally more than adequate for way more than average EDC use. That's why I hate to see lights like the V10A/V10R come out with crappy emitters... it's a crime... especially in their Ti version.

It's back to interface and quality emitters. ... well maybe I should say... It should be back to interface design and quality emitters for EDC lights. Interface design is hard, and when you have no real interest other than profit you can't really think correctly about interface. Luckily there is still a lot of competition in the industry so slowly but surely there will still be true innovation. Some manufactures are quite creative, so it's a matter of time while they look for their Niche, and the dinasaurs die off.

I'm sure the CPF Vendors and half the users don't want to hear it though. It's like the old CPU clock speed thing... they are going to pump that lumens number for all it's worth.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
While you could certainly argue it's not really an EDC-able size, my old JetBeam Jet-III Pro ST is still one of, if not, the brightest small light I have, and it's going on 2 years old now, and has an XRE-Q3/5B emitter in it. I love the tint and the beam profile, and IIRC it pumps out about 250 lumens OTF. I carry it in my cycling bag as my small thrower and for use on my helmet when biking at night or in inclement weather. Still a fantastic light.

Overall, I agree. The issues that need to be addressed in EDC size lights now are tint, beam profile, UI, and emitter efficiency; most any small light now days is bright enough for most any EDC use.

bansuri

Enlightened
I am still hopeful for a triumphant return by LITEFLUX with a refresh of their entire lineup of lights.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a much longer post, but the stupid incorrect "you logged in after the last page was loaded" error lost it all.

IMO a quality light with a flexible and easy to use UI with a low low and momentary (which the EX10/D10, LF3XT, and HDS/Ra/Novatac lights all have) a slim pocketable profile with clip and (IMO) neutral tint trumps a lesser light with 200+ lumens any day. I'd rather carry one of the lights listed above, plus maybe one of the dial lights like the RRT-0 (mine also modded XR-E Q3-5A neutral) than a brighter light missing one or more of the key features I listed.

AnotherADDiction

Newly Enlightened
What's wrong with the V10R Ti emitter? XP-G R5 isn't good?
I can only think that the tint is the issue. Personally, I have not picked this light up yet, because of that. I do not want anything that is not warm/neutral and I hope for high CRI.
I also agree with everything said in this discussion and I fully agree with the thoughts on the D10. I love them (but, the tint needs to be changed).
I hope that the tint, beam, cri starts to become a bigger issue and more people demanding/ manufacturers offering. This is beginning.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's wrong with the V10R Ti emitter? XP-G R5 isn't good?

My question too, do tell.
Yes, as AnotherADDiction, mentions it's about the color-temp, tint, and overall-spectrum. I was being a bit OTT, it's actually a great emitter in many respects, but a couple of years a go I started the move to warm, neutral, and High CRI leds and I hate having to buy a light without a really nice light. I like color, I'm very picky about color, so I want a nice beam that renders nice colors, accurate colors even better. So now I'm interested the qualities of the light, more so than the quantity of the light. In the past many companies and individuals worked creating nice beam shapes with nice dispersion patterns because it was a real issue back then. I now take that for granted, but some lights still come out with ugly beams because manufactures are lazy and can be easily persuaded to drop their standard if they had any to start with. It's now a similar thing with the quality of light from the emitter.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes indeed... I think we've really reached critical mass as far as output brightness is concerned for general use lights, so now the important focus of manufacturers should really be tint, beam characteristics, UI, efficiency, etc. Hopefully, we will have the magnificent designs of such lights as the LF3XT, D10, SC51w moving forward with ever better tints and higher CRI. I think we have a bright future awaiting us!!!

Budman231

Enlightened
IMO .... The LF3XT is the most advanced light to ever hit the market from a customization/programming perspective. It still amazes me every time I look at the programming chart !

It has a beautiful floody beam and is perfect for indoor use.

If they bring it back, I'm all over a couple more...

$60.. unreal.

Bud