Best 2xAAA penlight alternative to the preon2?

apurva

Newly Enlightened
My light buying bug just spread into the family! Need a 2xAAA light for my dad. He wants to carry it like a pen in the shirt pocket, so should be slim. The Preon2 fits the bill just fine, especially the titanium version, but its out of stock :( Anyone know of anything as bright as the Preon2 and with the same form factor?

SirJohn

Newly Enlightened
Goinggear has a few of the Preon2 titanium left in stock, why don't you just get one from them?

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
The best alternative is the Fenix LD05; in fact it's just better. There are not many similar lights worth looking at.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
The best alternative is the Fenix LD05; in fact it's just better. There are not many similar lights worth looking at.

I have an LD05. Very good light, though on the long side.

The EPLI™ Executive Precision Lighting Instrument is a new multi mode penlight by Brite-Strike, but I cannot find any reviews of it.

penlights3.jpg

apurva

Newly Enlightened
Parnass, the ELPI does look impressive, any idea where to buy it?

SirJohn, thanks for the goinggear tip, but the only have the blue one, and I am sorta tilting towards backordering the Ti version and waiting it out if i go with the Preon. 4Sevens have a 15% sale going on too :D

StandardBattery, Why do you say the LD05 is better? From what I see in the specs, the lumens are much lower than the Preon.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
StandardBattery, Why do you say the LD05 is better? From what I see in the specs, the lumens are much lower than the Preon.

The lumens differences are not really significant. The Fenix just feels a lot better, more solid. How a light feels is important to me. Now I've never handled a Ti Preon penlight so maybe that one would feel good. More subjective: I personally also much prefer the M-L-H sequence, but that really depends on the application I'm going to use the light for. If it the Pen was my EDC M-L-H sequence is what I'd want, if it was for close inspection only in something like electronics, I'd want L-M-H.

If you don't want an alternative, but are happy with the Preon, then you're set. Parnass did show a couple nice alternatives I was not familar with.

Hopefully you can get a chance to handle them, and see what works for you.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
The EagleTac 2xAAA model is supposed to be very durable and reliable.

http://eagletac.com/flashlights/pn20a2.html

It's also available with a neutral emitter (better if your dad is in the medical field), and has available colored filters as an accessory. It is very tactical looking though, and a bit larger than a Preon. I'm very partial to neutral emitters myself, so would go for a neutral EagleTac over a cool tinted Preon.

Chris_Himself

Newly Enlightened
If the Fenix LD05 is as good as my LD01, I'd recommend that over the Preon 2. I appreciate moonlight mode, don't get me wrong but sometimes I don't want to fidget around with all the modes and thats why sometimes my "EDC" lights get left behind in favor of the lowly LD01.

apurva

Newly Enlightened
Just like my previous purchase, it was a tight battle between fenix and 47s. Previously I was about to buy the LD01 ss and Dan pointed me to the preon revo and I ultimately got that one. I like the LD05 too as it's sleek enough for the shirt pocket, but the preon2 is sleeker and the titanium looks quite classy in the photos. So thanks to sirJohn, I just ordered the preon2 ti form going gear. And while I was at it, I picked up an iTP A1 SS too!! Dang this light buying bug!! :D I guess I will jump into the fenix club with one of those TK series lights that everyone at CPF is raving about.

I'd love to get one of those peak lights, but the tiniest ones :) and I couldn't really figure out their whole lineup well enough yet to make a purchase.

AMD64Blondie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah yes,that evil light buying bug.. I'm in the same boat.I already have a UK Vizion headlight,but then I see the Black Diamond Storm mentioned.(Curses..it's only $49.99 before shipping.Tempting..but I think I'll wait until after I get my paycheck before I consider buying it.)

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd love to get one of those peak lights, but the tiniest ones :) and I couldn't really figure out their whole lineup well enough yet to make a purchase.

You need to look at RMSKs site to see the basics, and MWClint's thread (product lineup) to see what can be put together.

It sounds like you want a 10180 or 10280 Eiger. :naughty:

The smaller bodies can be purchased through Peak. You do need patience though.

apurva

Newly Enlightened
You need to look at RMSKs site to see the basics, and MWClint's thread (product lineup) to see what can be put together.

It sounds like you want a 10180 or 10280 Eiger. :naughty:

The smaller bodies can be purchased through Peak. You do need patience though.

Yeah I had seen the 10180 and 10280 bodies and they looked cool! Any idea what kinda batteries and chargers best suit these lights? From looking, I didnt find any protected or branded batteries in these sizes.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah I had seen the 10180 and 10280 bodies and they looked cool! Any idea what kinda batteries and chargers best suit these lights? From looking, I didnt find any protected or branded batteries in these sizes.

You won't find protected ones, too small. You need to be careful not to drain the battery too much, if you see dimming, recharge.

Lighthound has both batts and the Nano charger. They provide spacer magnets with the Batt purchase.

Using the Nano on the 10180 has mixed reviews, some people use a charger for lithium coin cells, and an adapter.

apurva

Newly Enlightened
You won't find protected ones, too small. You need to be careful not to drain the battery too much, if you see dimming, recharge.

Lighthound has both batts and the Nano charger. They provide spacer magnets with the Batt purchase.

Using the Nano on the 10180 has mixed reviews, some people use a charger for lithium coin cells, and an adapter.

Yep, now I remember! I was looking into these lights and then the batteries scene turned me off :( . I jumped back to AAA and CR123a lights. I got myself the tenergy 123a LiFePO4 battery charging kit and half a dozen batteries :) They have been performing well until now. And AAAs are ofcourse available everywhere.

However, what really interests me with the peak is that you can buy the different barrels for your light and be compatible with various formats of batteries. hmmm... must resist ....

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just like my previous purchase, it was a tight battle between fenix and 47s. Previously I was about to buy the LD01 ss and Dan pointed me to the preon revo and I ultimately got that one. I like the LD05 too as it's sleek enough for the shirt pocket, but the preon2 is sleeker and the titanium looks quite classy in the photos. So thanks to sirJohn, I just ordered the preon2 ti form going gear. And while I was at it, I picked up an iTP A1 SS too!! Dang this light buying bug!! :D I guess I will jump into the fenix club with one of those TK series lights that everyone at CPF is raving about.

I suspect the Preon-2 Ti will prove too heavy for average shirt pocket carry, but let us know. The MAX output seems too high for typical pen light applications, both Fenix and 4Sevens would do better to offer a lower low than worry about the high, but the the Fenix high is a little less OTT to me, but since I have the other two modes I don't worry about it. At 40% less I still would have gone with the Fenix if I was going to use it as a pen light.

I happen to have the preon revo SS and the LD01-SS , the LD is on the keychain and i feel is the better EDC light due to the levels, super tough, and sequence. The Revo-SS is a nice neck light and night light since it starts on low. It's nice to operate due to the texturing, and it looks pretty. They should have made it a better tail stander, but if you put it on your keyring the attachment point is very nice. I like it enough I bought a backup or gift, I also updated the LD01-SS to the latest ed for backup or gift (actually I think that's the backup to the backup). If you like the revo-ss low first, or just like twisting (it was popular in the 50s), then you chose the right one for you.

mrpink

Newly Enlightened

i just bought the last r5 ti preon2 from going gear. :)