fenix vs klarus light

tja343

Newly Enlightened
why is it that klarus light (even with the same XP-G R5 led and batteries (cr123a)) is posting shorter runtimes at higher lumen levels and with the new pd31 by fenix, less lumens
example: NT20 : 280 lumens, 1 hr 30 mins
PD31 : 304 lumens, 2 hr 15 mins

Does anyone know why this would be? I really love the klarus light interfaces (especially the NT10 with momentary on and additional button for switching modes), but the additional mins with the fenix lights is a nice draw.

Any info or explanations would be great.

Lightman2

Enlightened
Hi TJA. Wait for the tech gurus to answer this one. Maybe it has something to do with the testing as some manufacturers have various ways as I have seen such as OTF (out the front) lumen rating and 'Emitter' lumen rating and both are differant. Of course the other matter is the reflector design. The diameter on the Klarus is bigger and therefore 'rule of thumb' should be a better lumen rating (don't really know and stand corrected).

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
i dont believe any runtimes, or lumens output labeled by the manufacturers.
if you want to really know which is brighter and its runtimes check out selfbuilt's reviews on the reviews section.

SirJohn

Newly Enlightened
i dont believe any runtimes, or lumens output labeled by the manufacturers.
if you want to really know which is brighter and its runtimes check out selfbuilt's reviews on the reviews section.

Exactly. It seems that Fenix has been listing lumens low on some of their new lights vs what they have been testing out at. Perhaps with the recent emphasis on ANSI, Fenix is lowballing to be on the safe side. To find out real output and runtime you need to wait until people have them in hand and post reviews.