Are you still using an incandescent headlamp? If so, which one?

robostudent5000

Enlightened
I think at least a couple users have mentioned using a Petzl Zoom still. I was wondering if anyone else is still using an incan headlamp and if so, which one.

I still use a PT Vortec (Pred Pro) occasionally.

electrothump

Enlightened
On occasion I will still use my Black Diamond Soliras when run time on a single charge is critical.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two still in usable condition.

1. An REI branded, Japanese made, 2AA compact headlamp that has a rather unique design. In fact, I've never seen another headlamp with these design features: 2 batteries, bulb, spare bulb, and a Fresnel lens are all housed in a thin pivoting head barely thicker than the AA cells. The Fresnel lens produces a fairly smooth general purpose beam with a bit of throw to it. It's actually a pretty nice headlamp for backpacking, but I haven't used it for years. Always intended to get an LED replacement bulb, but have never found a screw based LED dropin for a decent price.

2. Justrite headlamp with 4D belt pack. Very rugged, reliable all metal headlamp that I've had for well over 30 years. It's been through many a cave and on many camping and canoe trips. Still use it occasionally, mainly for sentimental value, although it does have decent runtime and an adjustable focus beam that is handy outdoors. Uses a bigger screw based bulb that I'll eventually get around to upgrading with a LED dropin.

robostudent5000

Enlightened

1. An REI branded, Japanese made, 2AA compact headlamp that has a rather unique design. In fact, I've never seen another headlamp with these design features: 2 batteries, bulb, spare bulb, and a Fresnel lens are all housed in a thin pivoting head barely thicker than the AA cells. The Fresnel lens produces a fairly smooth general purpose beam with a bit of throw to it. It's actually a pretty nice headlamp for backpacking, but I haven't used it for years. Always intended to get an LED replacement bulb, but have never found a screw based LED dropin for a decent price.

2. Justrite headlamp with 4D belt pack. Very rugged, reliable all metal headlamp that I've had for well over 30 years. It's been through many a cave and on many camping and canoe trips. Still use it occasionally, mainly for sentimental value, although it does have decent runtime and an adjustable focus beam that is handy outdoors. Uses a bigger screw based bulb that I'll eventually get around to upgrading with a LED dropin.

how cool! i would love see pics of both of those.

vtunderground

Enlightened

I did confined space entry at my last job, and they supplied us with those headlamps. My opinion was less favorable than yours :)

It would have been neat with an LED, though.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did confined space entry at my last job, and they supplied us with those headlamps. My opinion was less favorable than yours :)

It would have been neat with an LED, though.

Well, as I said, mine hasn't been used for years so I'm working from memory.

When I said it was decent for backpacking, I did NOT mean backpacking at night!

I meant it worked well for setting up camp after dark, cooking, gathering wood, etc.

Back in the day, this headlamp was more compact and lightweight than most of the competition and it had decent output compared to other 2AA incan lights.

I'll see about posting some pics of these headlamps, but I'll have to borrow a camera so it'll be a few days at least.

Latest posts