Looking for 123 EDC light: multimode, no memory, flat reg, tailstand, forward clicky

Erayd

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,

I'm looking for a new EDC light that fits the following:
  • Takes single CR123A primary, but would like it to be capable of using an RCR123 also.
  • Ideally 4 modes (OTF): <0.5, ~30, ~100, >200. If this isn't available, then replacing both the middle modes with something around 50l would also be OK. Programmable would be ideal, but this isn't a requirement. UI-wise, I find the ArmyTek Predator to be brilliant; if something like this was available in a 123 format I'd buy it today.
  • No mode memory, or the ability to disable this. I generally like my lights to come on at the lowest mode each time. Level selection should be ramp-up.
  • Flat regulation - the light should keep the same level until it runs out of juice. Would be nice if it could drop to the lowest level when the battery is almost dead.
  • Forward clicky (tail switch preferred, side OK). Not too fussed about the mode-change method; most implementations should be fine.
  • Must tailstand when switched on, don't care about tailstanding when off.
  • OP reflector, some throw is nice but I prefer medium-distance flood for an EDC.
  • Decent tint; cool white is OK, but it needs to be *white* - things like purple tinting are unacceptable.
  • No clip, or removable clip. Can live with an unobtrusive clip if necessary to get some of the other features I'm looking for, but I *really* don't like clips on my lights.
  • Good build quality - I'd rather pay a bit more for something that's going to last
My ideal light would be something like the Predator's UI & LED with a C2H body and reflector.

My current EDC is a Dereelight C2H - main issues with this are lousy regulation, poor runtime on low modes, the lack of a really low low, and the mode memory.

So - can anyone recommend me a light that fits the above criteria? I've done a bit of searching, but haven't yet found one that fits.

Thanks in advance :)
Erayd

Last edited:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Erayd,

You just described for yourself the HDS System's EDC-E1S-170 clicky and/or the EDC-R1S-200 rotary.

The clicky has four programmable output to allow user customization from lowest 0.08 lumen all the way to 170 lumen. It uses an Osram Golden Dragon Plus LED and since GDP LEDs are narrower it provides a narrower hotspot for a bit more throw.

The rotary also have 4 programmable presets but with the exception that the user could program one of the preset to be on rotary mode. On rotary, just rotating the dial on the tail allows quick output adjustments from 0.08 lumen to 200 lumen. It uses a Cree XP-G R5 LED and the beam profile is much more floody than with the Osram GDP. I love this light and it is my personal favorite.

Both lights share quite similar technologies with the rotary models having an additional rotary function. Both are built super tough, has top notch battery management, is easy to use even though the user manual sounds complicated, and are backed by HDS System's unwavering lifetime warranty. Have a look at HDS Systems's website. One sad news is that production has been slow due to some inventory issues by the supplier and some who have pre-ordered months ago have yet to receive their light. However, someone mentioned that he just received his clicky a couple of days ago.

Thefo

Newly Enlightened
+1 for an HDS System's EDC-E1S-170 clicky and/or the EDC-R1S-200 rotary.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, sounds like an HDS light to me with the exception that HDS lights aren't reliable tail-standers. The buttons on them tend to bulge, and there's no reliable way to flatten them out, so while they can tail-stand, they tend to wobble a bit.

BIGLOU

Enlightened
HDS is great, but just thought I'd throw in the Jetbeam RRT-0 in the mix.
DSC03069.jpg

Erayd

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the responses :).

Re the HDS lights - how are these for belt carry? They seem like pretty big lights for something that takes a 123 cell - I have no doubt they're effectively indestructible, but I'm ideally looking for something a bit smaller. The HDS site also says that they don't tailstand well. They certainly look like very nice lights though, and they're very close to what I'm after.

Re the JetBeam - the regulation issue in this thread is enough to rule it out for me, unless it's since been fixed:
In their quest to make a light which can utilize any battery that can fit inside it, JetBeam has run slightly afoul of battery chemistry. CR123 cells and rechargeable RCR123 cells run on slightly different voltages, the RCR123s being higher. CR123's themselves vary in voltage with their nominal "running" voltage being just over 3 volts. When the cells are brand-new, however, the voltage is slightly higher and can "overlap" a bit into the low part of the voltage range of a rechargeable cell. The problem this causes is that for a brief period when a new battery is placed in the light, the light believes that it is in fact a discharged rechargeable battery and will come on only in lowest-low mode to protect what it thinks is a rechargeable cell from over-discharge. When I received the light along with a brand-new CR123, I had to leave the light on (in it's low mode, no other modes were available) for about 90 seconds until the battery voltage dropped slightly. I turned it off and back on, and the light then recognized the battery as a new cell and not a discharged rechargeable. For me, "breaking in" a new battery for a minute-and-a-half isn't a big deal, but some may be upset with the inability to simply "throw in a new cell and go".
Any other suggestions?

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re the HDS lights - how are these for belt carry? They seem like pretty big lights for something that takes a 123 cell - I have no doubt they're effectively indestructible, but I'm ideally looking for something a bit smaller. The HDS site also says that they don't tailstand well. They certainly look like very nice lights though, and they're very close to what I'm after.

That depends on what your definition of big is. I do agree that the HDS is big compared to some other CR123 lights out there, but it has never been an issue for me. I had it riding on a Kydex holster from HDS and it is just perfect. The light fits snugly in the holster and needed quite a substantial amount of pull before I can get it out. If toughness, reliability, and good battery management are what you are looking for, I am afraid you don't have much of a choice out there that are much smaller other than HDS.

Erayd

Newly Enlightened
That depends on what your definition of big is.
I'm used to carrying a Dereelight C2H - anything larger than that is probably going to feel a bit big. I'm not sure how I'm going to find carrying something a lot bigger than that - hence asking for feedback on how people find this light for belt carry.

I do agree that the HDS is big compared to some other CR123 lights out there, but it has never been an issue for me. I had it riding on a Kydex holster from HDS and it is just perfect. The light fits snugly in the holster and needed quite a substantial amount of pull before I can get it out.
This all sounds good :).

If toughness, reliability, and good battery management are what you are looking for, I am afraid you don't have much of a choice out there that are much smaller other than HDS.
Really? It seems strange that nobody else makes lights that fit those criteria; I'd have thought they'd be a reasonably common product. Note that I don't need a torch that will survive an apocalypse, an asteroid impact, or being shot at with a cannon - something that is reasonably durable and well-made is good enough.

If the HDS lights are all that are available, then I have no problem with buying one - but they do seem to be missing a few of the things I'm after - so it would be good to compare a few other lights before making that decision, as they're not cheap (although the price does seem reasonable considering what you get for it).

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might also want to consider a Sunwayman V10R? I have the titanium version and it is quite nice a light too. Definitely smaller than the HDS and comes with removable clip. Definitely tailstand quite well too. One of my favorites other than the HDS. Not too sure if you will get fully flat regulation with the V10R. Haven't ran mine consistently on high to know if the light dims down over time. Only thing is that if you run it with rechargeable RCR123, the light would just shut down all of a sudden when the battery is weak and the protection circuit of the battery cuts in. HDS at least offers a graceful cut down in that it will blink once every couple of minutes and gradually diminish it's output when the battery is weak so that users could have ample time to find a spare battery. Overall, I personally think that Sunwayman V10R to be one of the best light that ever come out from out of US. Of course, the other brand would be Zebralight, but I personally don't like the side switch which tends to get activated all too easily when the light is in my pocket. That is why I did not recommend Zebralight to you. If you are not particular about the side switch, then Zebralight is something real cool and nice.

Erayd

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for that - I'll take a look at those and see if they fit the bill :).

archimedes

Flashaholic
How about a Peak Logan? Now available with the variable QTC, it should meet most of your criteria. It's a twisty, but you can get an optional momentary tail-switch (though not a true "clicky"). Smaller than the HDS/Ra and JETBeam RRT-0 (both great choices, BTW).

And probably tough enough to survive an "apocalyptic asteroid shot out of a cannon", if need be. :duck:

Last edited: