What emitter is this? Cygolite Expilion 250

Blurider24

Newly Enlightened
Hi folks,

New to the forums, I did a general and bicycle specific search for the Expilion and didn't have luck finding information, so here we go :)

I just bought a Cygolite Expilion 250 with the intent of replacing the emitter with (hopefully) a Cree XM-L. As far as I can tell, the emitter is soldered onto a 20mm star which is then coupled to a custom shaped slug which is thermally pasted and screwed to the inside of the light head. Can anyone tell me which emitter this is? It doesn't look like a SSC P4 or P7...which should tell you how often I do this stuff... that's about all I can tell :) There are 2 images below that have the lens holder over the star.

Thanks for the help folks!

expilion1.jpg

expilion2.jpg

expilion3.jpg

Blurider24

Newly Enlightened
Great pe2er, thank you for chiming in and providing the links! I've bookmarked them for future reference and to help out if anyone has questions later on down the line.

So, i guess the question now is, is it worth replacing the XP-G with an XM-L...how much brighter can I expect the light to get. From the Cree data sheets, the XP-G achieves 250 Lumens, which is approx 200% of its rated brightness at 350mA (depending on bin), which occurs at approx 750 mA and 3.20-3.25 V. Can I assume the driver will provide the same Voltage, Current, either, neither with an XM-L in place? Just trying to gauge what kind of brightness boost I'll see from a LED swap.

Thoughts?

pe2er

Enlightened
Yes, the current will roughly be the same (provided that this light has a constant current driver). Looking at the XM-L datasheet, the XM-L will deliver 200 to 280 Lumens at 700mA, depending on tint and bin. Typical forward voltage is 2.9V at that current. So your gain of replacing the XP-G with an XM-L will be minimal if any, if you do not change the driver to supply more current.