BC40 mini review

oronocova

Enlightened
Well I was lucky enough to win a JetBeam BC40 and was happy to see it come in the mail today!

I can't believe they sell this for the price they do. It's very well made and has two well spaced levels changed by tightening/loosening the head. It throws a huge spot for a long ways. It came with a well made lanyard, extra o-rings and a grip ring (which i haven't tried yet.) I've included some pictures below and some beamshots comparing it to some of my other lights.

I certainly do appreciate receiving this light for free and will try to put it to good use, starting with a fishing trip over memorial day. It will be good to aid in looking for stuff floating when we come in after dark.

Maybe this will help you... if you are on the fence about this light it is definitely worth the money as far as build quality and output are concerned. I do like the forward clicky as well.

All of these were taken with a 5 second exposure, AWB, auto focus on, that's about the limit of my camera jargon. Then I removed some noise. They just serve to give you an idea of the difference between the lights.

Site at Dusk

ROV Sportsman Lantern 6V sealed beam

iTP A2

ZL H51 cool white

Fenix T1

Lumapower D-mini EX with a SST-50

BC40

Last edited:

jbdan

Newly Enlightened
And free to boot! I like the BC/BA series I know they've often gotten a bad rap as they are a budget minded LED light, but I love 'em. I played with the BC40 and it just about matches my TK35 in beam throw and brightness. And I like it's super simple interface like all the BC/BA series. They are also very affordable! Thx for the mini-rev and the beam shots ;)

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Why is your control shot so bright?

I love my BC40 too! I think its the most well spent $62 ever!

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good job and thanks for the nice beamshots!
It comes as surprise to see that BC40 is much brighter than D-mini EX is about 400 lumens.

oronocova

Enlightened
I took the control shot earlier at dusk so you could see the surroundings. Then I left the camera sitting in the same position until it was good and dark. edit> I suppose it's really not a "control shot" so I relabeled it.

Thanks for the comments!

I was also surprised it appeared that much brighter than the EX. The EX is a pretty awesome light, it's hotspot is definitely not as concentrated as the BC40 though. I wish the EX had mode memory for the modes that is it's only pitfall IMO, well and if it could take 2x123As.

I also really like the simple UI. Especially in a light this size I don't see a need for a really low mode. Leave the lower modes for your pocket light.

Last edited:

Sardaukar

Enlightened
Just ordered the BC40 from one of the CPF vendors. For the price, this light is going to be great! I'll probably sell my old M2C4 since I rarely use it.

oronocova

Enlightened
Yeah I think you will be impressed. I didn't already have a light that output this many lumens and it continues to blow me away every night. It's output is just very impressive to me, I can't get over it. It easily blows my old 2MCP brinkman spotlight out of the water. If people could play with it before use I think most anyone would agree that for the money this light is a steal.

The only bad thing is that now I see what 830L looks like... I want something that puts out over 2K :-D

Last edited: