NiteCore EX11.2 Review - A Layman's Perspective

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
NiteCore EX11.2 - Submitted for consideration for the review forum

Reaching back to its roots, NiteCore brings back the SmartPD line attempting to correct some of the problems that presented themselves with the EX11. Are these fixes finally the worthy successor to the original EX10 that fans have been longing for or have they once again fallen short of the initial mark?

NiteCore EX11.2

Meat and Potatoes

The V.2 version of the EX11 has a user interface that bears the most resemblance to the venerable EX10 that arguably set the stage for modern portable lighting. One of the first "infinitely" variable lights to bear a genuinely affordable price tag. The EX10 was one of my first "good" flashlights. One of my earliest steps up from world of D cell Everready and Maglite incandescents. As such it definitely occupies a special place on my shelf, and often in my pocket. The EX11.2 however is shaping up as a worthy successor to the original. Bearing mostly the same UI as the EX10, NiteCore did happen to slip in a few extras, namely access to SOS and strobe modes from when the light is off. The light does however include the old shortcuts to max and min outputs when the light is on.

The business end of the EX11.2 houses the same R5 bin XP-G and lightly stippled reflector as the EX11 and thereby shares an identical beam profile and incredible 200 lumen top end as that already excellent light. Definitely balanced more for a floody beam than long distance throw, the EX11.2 has an excellent smoothly transitioned beam that is ideal for EDC. The crisp white beam is relatively free from artifacts and does not provide any distractions during use.

Cree XP-G

One of the biggest complaints about the EX11 was its standby current drain. With the light technically "off" the very nature of the Smart PD switches (or electronic switches in general) causes a slight trickle of current to still be used to keep the circuitry alive and ready for a button press. The EX11 seemed to have an overly high standby current drain resulting is peoples cells being depleted in as little as a weeks time. The EX11.2 however has directly addressed this problem claiming 3 years of inactivity before cell depletion.

Fit and finish for the EX11.2 is about on par with the majority of other NiteCore products. The anodizing is uniform and relatively thick in appearance, though after a week or so of harsh pocket carrying, it has started to develop some worn spots on the tips of a few of the knurlings. Strangely enough, my light actually came with a piston slotted to allow mounting of a tritium vial or glow powder locator. I don't know if every light shipped has this option included now, or if it just select varieties, but I may have to look into doing this at some point in the future. NiteCore has also included threaded holes in the tail of the light for installation of an optional pocket clip similar to what is found on other NiteCore products. I haven't tried this clip out myself, but if the quality is on par with the clip for the IFE2, then I have few concerns.

NiteCore EX11.2

Constructive Criticism

During the course of my time thus far with this light, I have a number of times experienced something rather unusual in its operation. Occasionally when I attempt to switch the light off, it will instead immediately change its output to the minimum level and remain on. I don't know if this is just a case of user error, and the I need to re-practice using my PD lights, or if there is something more sinister at work here. In the long run it wasn't a big issue since the light is so easy to correct the output level, but it definitely registers as a frustration.

EX11.2 Evolution

Conclusions

The NiteCore EX11.2 is in my opinion, quite a worthy heir to the SmartPD namesake. Its bright beam, smooth output, fast ramping, and return to nearly everyone's favorite UI makes for a winning combination that will be living in my pocket quite often. Sometimes a return to your roots is exactly what it takes to revitalize a brand name.

EX11.2 Evolution

Provided for review by the kind folks at NiteCore.

jbdan

Newly Enlightened
Thx for the review! I'm looking forward to one of these already paid for just waiting for shipment to arrive to the good folks at GG. I ordered the clip as well. Is the clip on the IFE2 really that bad? I have read some reports of it being flimsy, but you know how opinions are.

I love the small size and I love a clip lens down. Have you tried running an rcr123 in it yet?

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
My EX11.2 does not have a slotted switch button.

Great review and pics as usual, thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine doesn't suffer from high drainage as I made a point to purchase the latest batch. However, I'm wondering if it's really able to last for 3 years (1,095 days) before full depletion. If it's able to, that's a vast improvement.

As for the issue of it switching to minimum output instead of off, I've experienced that on a few occasions too (even on EX10) and I think it's user error. The depression of the piston needs to be firm and confident, otherwise, the brass ring will, on a micro level, contact the light engine twice which is the shortcut to minimum.

Whole-heartedly agree to your concluding statement. :)

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thx for the review! I'm looking forward to one of these already paid for just waiting for shipment to arrive to the good folks at GG. I ordered the clip as well. Is the clip on the IFE2 really that bad? I have read some reports of it being flimsy, but you know how opinions are.

I love the small size and I love a clip lens down. Have you tried running an rcr123 in it yet?

I have the Infilux clip on mine and love it. It is not flimsy at all, which you will find out when you get it. I run AW Protected RCR123's in mine with great results. This light has the broad voltage circuit which allows voltage up to 4.2v. I really like this light. :thumbsup:

EX112c.jpg

EX112b.jpg

fyrstormer

Banned
It's good to know the EX11.2 solves some of the long-standing problems with the SmartPD series since the original EX10. I actually hunted down an EX10 Golden Dragon to put into the Veleno Designs titanium shell I bought a while back, and while it's a good light, the GD+ emitter is noticeably dated compared to newer emitters. Once I see some standby-current-drain measurements for the EX11.2, and a verdict on whether the accidental brightness-change when trying to shut off is actually a defect or just user error, I'll probably pick one up and upgrade my Ti EX10 with it.

I don't really think the Nitecore brand was ever in danger of becoming obsolete; there was a steady stream of innovation going on, and their less-cutting-edge flashlights were just as durable as their Jetbeam cousins. However, between the new Infilux series and the updated SmartPD series I agree they've caught their second wind.

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast

I most certainly have used it with RCR. It's almost my only choice when testing out single cell lights. I'm usually a little dismayed to find lights that don't support the 4.2V input.

As far as the clip goes, if you read my Inflilux review, I don't really have any issue with it being flimsy at all. It's quite durable. It just has a couple of rougher edges that could stand to be smoother. I think it would be a quality clip for the EX11.2.

jbdan

Newly Enlightened
Thx bond and aardvark. Love the size of this light can't wait to get it.

Aard how much brighter are you getting with the rcr's or are you? Thx for the info regarding the clip

Hamaremon

Newly Enlightened
Can someone say how you access the SOS and strobe modes on this light?

From off,
S.O.S.: quickly double click the tail button.
Strobe: click once and then press and hold the tail button.

To exit these modes, you can just turn off the light with a single click.
If you turn on the light again with a single click, it will go back to the last used brightness setting.

Hope that helps!

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
From off,
S.O.S.: quickly double click the tail button.
Strobe: click once and then press and hold the tail button.

To exit these modes, you can just turn off the light with a single click.
If you turn on the light again with a single click, it will go back to the last used brightness setting.

Hope that helps!

Ahh thanks much Hamaremon. I ordered one yesterday and have always liked this style but to have those extra options really puts it up a notch or two for me. Sounds like the UI has some similarity now to an HDS style UI.