new to flashlights

godismyjudge

Newly Enlightened
ive recently received a surefire defender as a gift from a friend. it is my first flashlight but probably not my last, now that i've played with it. i take great joy in customizing things, and would like to do so with my defender. please, flashlight enthusiasts, suggest to me some of the things i can do to improve, 'pimp,' and personalize my new defender. thank you sincerely, daniel.

BIGLOU

Enlightened
GIMJ, Welcome to CPF. The 6PD is a great SF starter. Look into boring it to accept 18650 Lithium Ion batteries. Checkout Malkoff Devices M60, M61 and M91 as well as Nailbender's XML drop-ins. Almost forgot checkout Oveready.com to "pimp" your light.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it a 6P defender or an E2D??? If a 6P defender, go for a Malkoff for starters...if an E2D, try the MN02 Lamp Assembly for 2.5 hours of incan goodness...if it's an E2DL...just leave it alone...that light is as bad-arse as it can get. Oh, and welcome to CPF!!!

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
If its a Surefire E2D defender (with an incandescent lamp assembly), any of the Lumensfactory E series lamp assemblies will fit, as will the Veleno designs E series dropins.

godismyjudge

Newly Enlightened
ok. its an e2dl. what can i do to it cosmetically and functionally? i dont even know what my options are, but oveready was great, if a bit overwhelming. thanks for the advice and links.

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not too much you can do to mod the old E2DL... unless you want to remove the crenelated teeth from the head.

Enjoy it non the less!

:thumbsup:

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not too much you can do to mod the old E2DL... unless you want to remove the crenelated teeth from the head.

Enjoy it non the less!

:thumbsup:
Or you could get a Surefire Led head to compliment the black body and clicky tailcap. The latest KX2 or KX1 or even the KL4 head can be used. Enjoy and welcome to CPF

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or you could get a Surefire Led head to compliment the black body and clicky tailcap. The latest KX2 or KX1 or even the KL4 head can be used. Enjoy and welcome to CPF

True...the E2DL head (KX2C) is the brightest. The KL4/KL4A-BK (from the M600 weaponlight) will give you 100/120 of floody lumens.

godismyjudge

Newly Enlightened
a few months later, and here are my (very slight) cosmetic modifications to my e2dl. what do you think?

photo%252520%2525281%252529.JPG

photo.JPG

(as if you couldnt tell lx2 clip, z61, and gitd boot switch) comments, criticisms welcome.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
A little more high-speed, low drag! I'm not crazy about the neon switch boots, but over all, I think you actually improved the overall appearance! Seems a little more aesthetic!

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the scalloped tail of the E2D/L.
The clip is a nice touch, and the GITD boot is practical.
You've made it a lot less aggressive. Good job.

fivebyfive

Enlightened
Looks like a light that belongs to a flashaholic. The fact that it has been modded is enough. So long as it works for you, I'm all for it. You could keep that light as it is now or like others have said mod it for LED. IMO, invest some money into some LED lights.