Latest and greatest in AAA LED flashlights?

Felco

Newly Enlightened
It's time to buy more flashlights for me, and I need advice. The last flashlight I bought was the excellent Illumina Ti AAA a couple of years ago

41yeMU77A8L.jpg

I carry this excellent light wherever I go and use it every day.

I've been too busy to keep track of developments here, so I'd like an expert to point me to the best AAA flashlights in this class currently available, so I can invest in a few.

I'm sure there have been some improvements in the last couple of years, even if only in price?

Much obliged.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Most AAA lights get updated with new leds. The newest designs are 4Sevens ReVO and Klarus that uses the same driver and is stabilized (Fenix LD01 is also stabilized).
You can find reviews and beamshots on my website of most AAA lights.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'll probably be happy with the LD01; I know I am.

D.R.A.N.

Newly Enlightened
Peak has just released the QTC version of their Eiger line of flaslights. They are currently available in brass only but soon will be available in ss and aluminium. The just released brass version takes aaa or 10440 batteries. For more information see thread no 314940 titled QTC-Update and and thread no 315529 titled QTC-Brass-Eiger.

Felco

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the responses, but the more I think about this, the more I become confused. Here is my dilemma:

• My "old" IlluminaTi CA1 XP-G R5 can put out 115 lumens, these newer ones seem less powerful. Not that output is a key priority, it's just that I'm somewhat bemused to see 80 lumen lights like the LD01 recommended over a 115 lumen light
  • My "old" IlluminaTi weighs only 14g (without battery). I love this fact. I never feel it when it's clipped into my pocket. My wife's ITP EOS S/steel weighs more than double that .. it's like a brick in comparison. The Fenix LD01 SS is also heavy at 35g. I guess this is a key factor for me - weight
  • My IlluminaTi's one big drawback is stiff. gritty threads.

I suppose I want an equally powerful, low-weight 1xAAA flashlight that has a pocket clip, and can stand on cap end, and has smooth threads. Is this asking too much?

Last edited:

Napalm

Enlightened
I suppose I want an equally powerful, low-weight 1xAAA flashlight that has a pocket clip, and can stand on cap end, and has smooth threads. Is this asking too much?

Looks like. You can have some but not all the goodies in the same package. E.g. Eagletac PN20a comes with clip and stands on tail, but you won't like the size and lumen specs.

So are you willing to give up some stuff? like the clip?

Nap.

Last edited:

Felco

Newly Enlightened
You can find reviews and beamshots on my website of most AAA lights.

Unfortunately, you seem to have errors in your data. In the graph below, you have the IlluminaTi weight much more than the 14g it actually weighs.

Weight.png

The Fenix LD01 SS has a 28-gram weight (excluding batteries). Maybe you are using the AL version?

I see only the SS version reviewed on your site, so that's my assumption. But in the beamshots you seem to use the al version?

Last edited:

Felco

Newly Enlightened
After looking at the beam shots at HKJ's site, I am less convinced that my IlluminaTi is that much more powerful than a LD01.

I'm tempted to get a bunch of aluminium LD01s (2 for me, the rest as gifts). Fenix is a trusted brand (although a few of my early Fenixes had problems, which I had to fight to get fixed).

I'm thinking aluminum rather than SS because it's lighter, and if it's not on a keychain the extra toughness is not required.

HKJ

Flashaholic
My "old" IlluminaTi CA1 XP-G R5 can put out 115 lumens, these newer ones seem less powerful. Not that output is a key priority, it's just that I'm somewhat bemused to see 80 lumen lights like the LD01 recommended over a 115 lumen light

Some lights are specified with emitter lumen, other with OTF and most of the new lights with ANSI/FL1 lumen. ANSI/FL1 is considerable lower than emitter lumen.
A unstabilized light like IlluminaTi is probably specified with a fresh battery, where the output is highest. A stabilized light will maintain constant output, nearly independed of the battery.

Unfortunately, you seem to have errors in your data. In the graph below, you have the IlluminaTi weight much more than the 14g it actually weighs.

My weight does include batteries (eneloop or LiIon), the above table is with the aluminium LD01 that is also shown in the photos. There are other comparisions where I uses the SS LD01.

Felco

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your comment, HJK, and for your website, which helped me come to my decision.

A website dedicated to AAA flashlight reviews would get a lot of traffic and make some good advertising revenue, if anyone is interested.

Felco

Newly Enlightened
Lightman2

I was able to buy 4 LD01s for $35 ea delivered
LD01 has good beamshot
LD01 is a Fenix, and I have a lot of them
LD01 can capstand
I want aluminum chassis (no need for heavy stainless steel because I only pocket carry)

Last edited:

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all the responses, but the more I think about this, the more I become confused. Here is my dilemma:

• My "old" IlluminaTi CA1 XP-G R5 can put out 115 lumens, these newer ones seem less powerful. Not that output is a key priority, it's just that I'm somewhat bemused to see 80 lumen lights like the LD01 recommended over a 115 lumen light

As others have mentioned, I would closely examine how the lumens were measured for your light and those to which you are comparing it. The 20 - 30 lumen difference can be easily masked by different measurement protocols. Also, I believe you are looking at the specs for the LD01 on AAA (Alkaline?) battery. The LD01 is widely known to run on Lithium Ion 10440 cells and puts out around 200 lumens. I have one myself, and that's how I run it. Also, regarding weight, the Aluminum LD01 is one of the lightest 1xAAA lights there is. Significantly lighter than your IlluminaTi. If you're concerned about the weight, go with the Aluminum body instead of the SS.

Gryffin

Enlightened
Take a look a the Maratac / CountyComm AAA, which IIRC is the same as the ITP A3 EOS. Gotta clip, flat bottom for tailstanding, weigh absolutely noting, three modes, simple twist UI, and cranks out an honest 80 lumens. And on my Maratac (the grey one), the threads are smooth as buttah.

Just sayin'.