Good PALight mods?

Kirill

Newly Enlightened
I just got my new PALight, and firstly disassembled it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I think, there are some ways to make PALight better. Did somebody tried to do something like this? (Sealing of front part with silicone compound, making better locking "belt"...)

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
i pulled out the focusing lenses in mine.

then i cut down a regular plastic lens, and stuffed it in.

now it has a beam much like my ultra or arc aaa...heck, it has an even cleaner beam. and it is dimmable.

Bob

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
My PALight had the small rectangular chip type LED in it. I took it out and put in a regular Nichia 5mm LED and put in a plain clear plastic piece to replace the focusing lens. Much better, but was very hard to do.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes--i prefer the pals with the 5mm led, without the focusing optic.

i know the selectors/onestars have 5mm leds. i have 2 of them with white led's, and im about to order a couple with red 5mm leds with a RED case!

i think they will be fantastic for reading at night without disturbing my wife, or for walking about in the dark without killing night vision.

Bob

JJHitt

Enlightened
I use the "jewel" from 1/2 inch panel lamp holders to replace the lens. Common electronic junk drawer item. They diffuse over 180 degrees and come in colors. Pop the lens out and pop the jewel in. Takes less than a minute.

(Some plastic jewels have threaded bottoms. This can be sawed / broken / melted off.)

Kirill

Newly Enlightened
Just found new problem: switch is not deep enough to prevent turning on with accidental pressing in pocket etc. I think, there is a way to make button shorter inside case.
What do you think?

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lots of folks found that if they took the stock lens out, turned it around, and put it back in, the beam became "wide angle" and much more usable.

Darell

Flashaholic
Yea, I replaced my little flat LED with a "real" 5mm unit as well (BS1). And I just left the lens out completely. I potted the electronics, so there's really no fear of what might come in through the non-lensed area. BIG difference in having a wider beam. Makes the light useful to me!