Brightest LED thrower?

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
After much searching about I can't help but think the Olight SR90 is still the bench setter in this department?

Are there any other really high power LED lights that are mostly throw?

Looking for an HID alternative type of thing, to give you an idea. No aspherics or crazy short runtimes please. No floody lights.

What am I missing? LED Lenser X21, Neofab, Catapult, RRT3 etc etc all in the 1000 lumen range like many others, which I already own.

What other LED throwy lights will blow me away?

Sugestions please.

The SR90 I had as a sample did in fact do 1480ish OTF lumens, but dropped to 1250ish OTF lumens within 3~4minutes. The Throw is insane though and at 95K plus lux and some folks have seen over 100K lux its hard to beat.

I currently am waiting for a Lamdalight.com 4C Mag. SST-90 at 15A and Rebel Deep Reflector. 70K lux is the goal with 2500 plus OTF lumens

If you look at the homemade section Ma_Sha1 has some impressive throwers with reflectors that put the SR90 to shame.

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the Plug, Big C :)
here is my current pride & joy, beating SR90 in throw with half the size:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-Shorty-XML-King-of-Throw-127-000-lux-1-meter

Just for reference, Catapult XML thrower is in the 40Klux Range, this light is 127Klux,:devil:
dscf0269nf.jpg

Last edited:

srfreddy

Enlightened
A keychain LED laser? All throw, no flood, a good one throws for miles.

:party:

LED laser? Excuse me? And I think the DEFT is pretty much on par with the SR90, but the masha's LED Torpedo beats both by a ton...still, not nearly the same form factor....actually, dunno about the torpedo vs. SR90 size.

Last edited:

Enlightened
IF we bring in customs/aspherics (think the OP does not want that as mentioned in original post), then we can also bring in the Lightpipe 70W HID with 4.75" reflector, it throws like mad as well for its size and the spill is usable. Li-ion batt, min 55 min runtime (most probably it would do much better), and the best part is its only usd125. But the price just went up this week, no more introductory prices. I am sure the 250W version will blow most away, by someone's definition its in the heavy iron group. :D

Last edited:

Latango

Newly Enlightened
Lambdalights de-domed V2k MkII with 4 c nimh cells. I have the standard MkII and it's beautiful. De-domed it throws a lot more, but even my standard type is over 60k lux.

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why do you think folks do custom mods? because what you are are looking for do not exist :)

There is a new version of Led Lenser 7xled x21 type light coming soon, which might rival SR90.
But at this moment, nothing else like it out there.

CKOD

Enlightened
4sevens XM18, 18,000lumen multi-LED flashlight that would kill most HIDs.

Lumens wise, sure, brightness wise, you may be surprised ;) Testing with 27mm aspherics and XM-Ls I can get peak 30k CP, average 20k CP on one LED, and lets be generous and say they are using larger/deeper reflectors so they can get the same. Assuming they can get the peak intensities to line up, 30k CP * 18 = 540k CP, so while 1/2 million CP may be fun and all, its still not approaching what HID/short arcs can do, especially if they are in the maxa-beam price range as Mvyrmnd indicated.

Craig K

Enlightened
What about the new Eagletac MX25L2...It will give the SR90 a run for its money.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now we are talking!

Eagletac MX25L2-T (large SMO reflector SST-90)
Olight X6 (6 x XML searchlight with seperate battery pack, 6000 lumen)

No release dates for either.

I wonder how far that X6 can throw though with 6 small reflectors in it.

The 4sevens X18 thing to my mind, whilst being impressive, is basically not a flashlight due to it's shape and size. More the type of light you set up at some event and don't really move about, nevermind carry.

The Eagletac MX25L2-T (T = Turbo) does look like it will give the SR-90 a run for its money and I like that EagleTac was more honest when rating it at 1500 lumens, since that is probably what it will really make OTF. More importantly it uses 2 li-on D cells, which is way better then proprietary cell.

bigC