Is is the norm on my Preon 2's LED emitter

Mag317

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys,

i recieved my Preon 2 few days ago. Its a bright and great light to carry around everyday. However upon having a closer look at the emitter i saw some
adhesive around the lower part of the emitter and a strand of hair with dirt stucked on it. Is this the norm?:confused:

p1060854k.jpg

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
It depends if it is a magic hair. Take the light and wave it around three times, then clap your hands and make a wish. If the wish comes true, it is a magic hair, and should be coveted and kept secret.

:tinfoil:

—just kidding. It most likely should not be there, nor should it be the norm.

KLowD9x

Banned
My MiNiAA2 has the same adhesive around the emitter. In fact, so much so that it is noticeable in the beam. However, I see a lot of people have this same adhesive on their emitters also. No hairs though, that's a first.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've returned a LOT of stuff over the years for various reasons, but it doesn't look like either of those things hinders the operation of the light, and you didn't even notice it for a couple of days, so I'd probably just live with it, especially if you like everything else about the light.... tint, clicky, etc.

Plus, it's quite possible that any replacement you receive might have other more serious problems..... tint, clicky, etc.

However, everybody has a different level of tolerance, and if it's the kind of thing that is going to bug you every time you turn on the light, then by all means return it.

LEDburn

Enlightened
I had the exact same issue with my Preon 2. Possibly not quite as bad as yours but definitely noticeable when you look at the emitter, there was also a few fibres like on your sample - I'm not sure they're 'hairs'.

I contacted 4sevens immediatley and got a promt reply stating that they would fully refund me or exchange it for another light which is awesome as far as customer service goes.

However, I live in Australia and the delay for the light to go back to the US, then have a replacement shipped was going to be borderline ridiculous so I passed that option. It was also one of the limited runs of neutral R4s and I wasn't going to risk missing out on that tint.

I haven't been able to tell no matter how long I stare at a white wall with it so to me it's perfectly fine.

In fact it's probably my most used light (being an electrician lights are always handy) and I wouldn't even consider parting with it.

beerwax

Enlightened
i guess the question needs to be asked will the glue , over time and with heat, be a problem.

Chevy-SS

Enlightened
Personally, I think we're starting to get a little too anal around here. Yeah, there may be a tiny piece of fiber in there, and yeah, someone maybe spread a little too much adhesive. But c'mon, if the light is functioning normally, then what the heck?

Are we gonna start measuring every emitter with a micrometer, to make sure they're centered within .0001"???????????????

-

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chevy-SS,
Well, after all, this IS a forum dedicated to flashlights, and if we can't feel free to discuss this type of quality control issue here, then what's the point.

Everybody has different things that bug them, and if this is the kind of thing that will really bother the OP, then I see no problem asking for an exchange.

I honestly feel that our discussions on CPF have helped to shape some of what is happening with the field of portable illumination, and quality control is just as important as brightness or tint in my book.

However, as has been mentioned, an exchange always carries the possibility of a new and even possibly worse problem, so it's up to the OP to decide whether it's worth that risk or not.

Just my 2 cents :).

Napalm

Enlightened
If you don't think that a replacement would be any better, there's always the option of switching brands.

Nap.

mrlysle

Enlightened
The fact that you are asking the question tells me it bothers you. I don't blame you at all. If it won't be an extreme PITA, I would try and exchange it. Call the vendor you got it from. Sometimes they'll even pre-check the light for you before they send it, to make sure everything is good. The goop could be soldering flux, which wouldn't really hurt anything, but you're the one who has to live with the light. If those issues are always there, in the back of your mind, you might not get as much enjoyment from it as you normally would. No one could fault you for wanting to exchange it.