*Email virus alert*

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received an email from "Microsoft Customer Support" in regards to a "patch" for the latest security issues. The text is as follows:
"Microsoft Customer

this is the latest version of security update, the "September 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which fixes all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three new vulnerabilities. Install now to maintain the security of your computer from these vulnerabilities, the most serious of which could allow an malicious user to run code on your system. This update includes the functionality of all previously released patches. "

The attached file, named "qbix.exe" contains the Swen virus. Info from Mcafee: SWEN Virus Info.

--dan

Tomas

Banned
Yup. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

"Swen" first seems to have hit about the 19th and the first
notification here in CPF was from a Mac user on the 11th:
Link to thread.

T_sig6.gif

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
No WAIT DANO!!!

You say there's an attached file; That's a sure giveaway that it's a bogus email DON'T RUN AN ATTACHED FILE!

Microsoft has a policy on this and actually follows it. Microsoft NEVER sends attachments to be run with emails. Instead they give you a link to a site at microsoft.com.

Don't run the attachment and beware of following links to any other site if the author of the email states they're Microsoft.

On Microsoft's TechNet site, they claim that they NEVER distribute software by email.

Here's the URL for that page.

(I hope I understood your post correctly. It's a little ambiguous about what email has an attachment.)

LEDependent

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
dano wrote: The attached file, named "qbix.exe" contains the Swen virus

[/ QUOTE ]Binky, I think Dan realizes it's a virus. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif