New Guy Checking In...

D

DRHP

I've been browsing this forum for a while now so I might as well introduce myself. My name is Ed and I am a flashaholic... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Since I was a young boy I always thought flashlights were fun (find me a kid that doesn't). I remember using allowance money to buy those little pen flashlights where you pressed the clip to turn it on and it would come with this clear plastic sleeve to prevent accidental discharge. Over the years I've only owned MagLites (2AA & 3C).

One day last year my stepfather who is an LEO gave me 2 flashlights, a SL Poly Stinger and his old SF 6R and said "Charge these up you'll like them". Needless to say the first time I hit the tailcap of the 6R my flashlight interest was renewed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I was like most people and thought Mags were at the top of the flashlight chain. I found this forum through one of the gun boards and it has opened up a new world. Recently I purchased a TT 1L for EDC and sent another one over to my stepfather. He called me as soon as he got it to tell me how he was looking for a small flashlight to take hunting with a longer runtime and the TT was perfect!

My minimag was handed down to my 2 y/o daughter who takes it with her to bed every night... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

RevDavid

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF Ed,
Nice to hear your story. Be careful in here though,,, You are probably going to start wanting a lot more lights real soon! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif
It seems to happen to everyone.

David <><

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome DRHP!! Don't listen to the rest of them, no matter what they say, remember, its "Buy em both!!". Or better still "Buy em all!!" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Heck

Enlightened
Hey welcome welcome!.....it's funny how my first experiences with flashlights were those penlights too. My dad brought them home, they were corporate gifts with different company logos on them....I used to try and color the exposed bulb with some sort of marker to get differnt colors out of them......

Then I was introduced to Maglite..and I had the 3D....I thought Mags were the brightest things..and all my friends thought it was cool too.....

Skip a few years, I ran into some Pelicans and Streamlight..and from there on, Surefire..and Surefire ever since /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif And yes, watch your wallet especially if you are going for 3 celled Surefires and up heh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

gadgetnut

Enlightened
Welcome to the forum DRHP! You'll like this place. I've learned a LOT from these guys. Oh, and I've always loved those disposable pen lights too!

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
DRHP,

Glad to have you joining us. Yeah it's easy, especially as a boy, to develop a special relationship with flashlights. I wandered into CPF 7 or 8 months ago. I devoured all the interesting posts and found the range of specific subjects that I was interested in to be growing. I had to ask a question, so I registered and asked. That began a daily ritual of checking out what everyone's doing. I'm still here.

Hope you have fun here too.

Paul

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome Ed.
Where are you at in So Fla? I lived in Miami and Ft Laud.

BTW, buy an Opelec to mod your daughter's Mag.

D

DRHP

Thanks for the warm welcome fellas! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

As far as the wallet getting lighter...it's already started. Spent $100 over at brightguy.com the other day. Tell someone you spent $100 on flashlight stuff and they just give you this blank stare /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif I really like the SF L4 I don't think I can bring myself to shell out that kind of dough, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time...

sunspot, I'm in Deerfield on the border of Boca Raton. The only time my daughter lets me touch the minimag is when I have to change the batteries. Besides that she hides it under her pillow for safe keeping.

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome.

Ain't it great how kids still love flashlights just as you did when you were young? I have a 3 yr-old who's inside with a cold on this cloudy, dark New England day. At this moment he's wandering the house on a hunt for one of his toys. Dressed with his Batman cape and mask, he's using an E2e+KL1 to locate it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
DRHP said:
My minimag was handed down to my 2 y/o daughter who takes it with her to bed every night... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ed, Welcome!

You might want to consider replacing your daughter's mini-mag bulb with the Opalec Newbeam or the InReTECH 2AA Replacement LED .

There are other, brighter, LED replacements (dat2zip's Sandwich Modules) but these other two give many hours of light, so you will not be changing the batteries as often. Dat2Zip's sandwich modules are fantastic, but they give blindingly bright light for 90-120 minutes, whereas the Opalec is 10-12 hours of constant brightness light before dimming, and the InReTech one will give "DAYS" of light, according to Mike at InReTECH. (of coarse, at diminishing brightness). AND, LED's will not go yellow as the batteries die out, they just get less intense, but stay the same white color).

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome, Ed!

I think all children have a fondness for flashlights. They are FUN to play with, and that is what attracts the children to them.

Since you are in Hurricane territory, you should know the need for long runtime lights. So check out the Lightwave lights, which Brightguy also carries. I have a Lightwave 4000, and love it.