Not gonna buy warm [join club here]

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
More and more lights are getting warm tint LEDs available, but I just don't like them. I would agree for home lighting LED bulbs as the soft warm light is far more relaxing, but when I am looking for something or need light to see the way I much prefer a cool white light. I'm not talking about some of the nasty blue tint lights, but a good cool white.

So as to bring balance to the "Not Gonna Buy Cool White Again! [Join Club Here]" thread, if you agree with me, that the warm tints are not for you in a torch / flashlight, then post your support here.

This is not in competition with the other thread, nor do I need persuading to see the 'warm' light, but is just to see how many people also think the same.

Last edited:

warmurf

Enlightened
Do not like warm! I love cool, and can handle neutrals (pretty nice actually) but not keen on warm. Have one warm light and find it hard to distinguish things in the dark. Cool is great for really lighting everything up, and you do have better colour clarity with the neutral, but I can't see a purpose for warm, especially down the 3000K or lower. I just think "yuk".

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm with you subwoofer. My LED of choice is the cool white variety. I too do not like the blueish tints, so if I get one of those....they are given away or sold. I like the creamy white cool whites and always will. Around the house, out for a walk, or biking.....cool white is just what I prefer. I officially request for admission to the cool white emitter club.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
re: "Not gonna buy warm [join club here]"

My copyright lawyers will be in touch! :naughty:

There may be Neutral-White lovers joining both clubs. :duh2:

I believe there is significant confusion regarding cool, neutral, and warm tints. There are those who think a cool white LED that isn't obnoxiously blue can be considered neutral, which is wrong. Adding to the confusion, there are manufacturers (including Zebralight) who calls their lights "warm" even though they use neutral white LED's.

With this in mind, should your thread be "only gonna buy Cool White"? :thinking:

Well have fun, just remember we get the clubhouse on the weekends! :party:

OCD

Enlightened
+1. Neutral or cool for me.

Me too. I use my lights to see in the dark, not for lighting paintings to accurately render the painter's intended colors! Plus, I'm a lumens junkie so the more output the better.

(And FWIW, I'm color blind...so I think the warm tint thing is lost on me!)

cccpull

Enlightened
I like LED's white.:thumbsup: When I want warm (yellow), I go incandescent.:grin2:

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, I'm in!

I prefer 5000-5500K colour temperature which is kind of in between cool and neutral.
Don't like warm ~3000K LEDs at all.
IMO, cool/ neutral LEDs have far better white balance than incan, but incan has better CRI. Warm LEDs have the worst of both worlds.

Maxbelg

Enlightened
I thought that a warm tint would be great. With that in mind I bought an incandescent Surefire A2. Big surprise is that I prefer my A2Ls even with a blue tint.:confused: I used my A2 outdoors, knowing that its CRI is 100, but even there I prefer my A2Ls.:eek: I have decided that neutral is OK for closer range or headlamps and cool white is great for throwers and general purpose lights. Greatest tint I have is an older E1B with a vanilla white tint, with a close second my LX2s.:naughty: My current ideal do-it-all light is the red A2L even though it might look dated on paper. It has a very usable night-vision saving red and a great usable beam with adequate spill and a nice spot for general usage and a GREAT UI.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't afford to be picky, and I have plenty of incans that keep me happy in the "warm" department. Never bought a "warm" or "high CRI" LED, nor do I feel the need...so put me down!

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mr Subwoofer sir, when we met the other week in the London pub, did you not say you liked my 4 cree LED maglite? You know, the one with the 4 Warm Q3 XRE LEDs ?? :eek:

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, cool tint loving Phillistine dogs!

The cool tints do do a better job of simply creating light for generic lighting. Can't say I prefer, or even like them, but they serve a utilitarian purpose, for a more barbaric, less civilized age. LOL