Not the brightest mod, but a fine one. (LF3XT + XP-E P4 high CRI)

Nos

Enlightened
I have been waiting weeks do get all parts, so i can get rid of the blue XR-E in my loved LF3XT.

I replaced the XR-E with a "High Efficiency XP-E", with a P4 flux, 3000k and min CRI of 90! I could have choosen a XP-G Q2 but i rather have more throw than ~7% more flux.

the XP-E has a X shaped phosphor coating, with does look unpleasend with a smooth reflector, so i kept the op stock one.

The tint and colour temperatur are really nice, can wait to try it outside :naughty:

Here are some white wall beamshots together with a Quark Mini CR2 neutral white (tint might be 4b).

lower exposure

All in all there was a lot work involved, i had to reflow the XP-E on a 1cm² square board myself and replaced the lens with a ucl.

The light gets now warm pretty quick, must be the improved thermal path :twothumbs

clg0159

Enlightened
Nice upgrade!

I agree with your use of the XP-E here. They are by far my favorite in lights this size! I have a few AAA class lights begging for a high CRI swap so I may have to order some parts.

doctaq

Newly Enlightened
i like it, i def have not seen a whole bunch of high cri led mods, maybe people dont like it as much due to the lower flux but i plan on modding a cheapie focusable with a high cri xp-g, maybe drive it a little harder just because i can

dirtech

Enlightened
I would love a description of how you performed the mod. I recently sold my lf3xt after pulling out the pill and deciding I would likely destroy something if attempting a LED swap.

I am not a very experienced modder.

Nos

Enlightened
I would love a description of how you performed the mod. I recently sold my lf3xt after pulling out the pill and deciding I would likely destroy something if attempting a LED swap.

I am not a very experienced modder.

I used a steel tweezer and unscrewed the pill. The rest was simple, i unsoldered the circuit board with a vacuum pump, cleaned the botton of the pill. I fixed the driver with a drop second glue to the pill and then i exchanged the the LED itself. Soldered the contacts and centered the LED and screw the pill back in again.

I would describe myself as an average modder, and modding the LF3XT wasnt hard at all for me.

doctaq

Newly Enlightened
probably because the high cri line came out after the xp-e took over for the xr-e