Quark AA-2 Overheating?

Fluffy Ops

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

As some of you may know, I purchased a new flashlight a couple months back: a 4Sevens Quark AA-2, Regular UI. It is a reliable and versatile light, capable of multiple tasks such as EDC, night light, camping, self-defense, etc.

Recently, I used its Turbo setting (180 lumens) for quite a long time. Let's say 5 minutes while tailstanding on the ground of a dark hallway. When I was about to leave, I retrieved my light from the ground and immediately felt a scorching sensation. The light was burning hot! I am assuming that it heated up quite a bit with all those electrons flowing through the circuitry and had to somehow lose that extra energy. Is this abnormal? Has anyone experienced this before?
Also, is this light durable meaning that it can withstand a couple of impact shocks and survive constant usage, holstering and unholstering?
Thanks in advance for the help!
Fluffy Ops

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had my quarks get hot, but I wouldn't describe them as scorching hot. This has only happened when I have set the light down & wasn't holding it. If I hold onto the light then the heat dissapates fairly easy through my hand, and it's not uncomfortable. I have had other lights that got uncomfortably hot like a Olight M21 with the SST-50 LED in it.

As far as durability, I haven't purposely mistreated my quarks, but have done some dumb things with them...mostly dropping them or my kids dropping them. My edc is a Quark AA, and I have dropped it several times. After two years of heavy use of several quarks - so far so good.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all,

As some of you may know, I purchased a new flashlight a couple months back: a 4Sevens Quark AA-2, Regular UI. It is a reliable and versatile light, capable of multiple tasks such as EDC, night light, camping, self-defense, etc.

Recently, I used its Turbo setting (180 lumens) for quite a long time. Let's say 5 minutes while tailstanding on the ground of a dark hallway. When I was about to leave, I retrieved my light from the ground and immediately felt a scorching sensation. The light was burning hot! I am assuming that it heated up quite a bit with all those electrons flowing through the circuitry and had to somehow lose that extra energy. Is this abnormal? Has anyone experienced this before?
Also, is this light durable meaning that it can withstand a couple of impact shocks and survive constant usage, holstering and unholstering?
Thanks in advance for the help!
Fluffy Ops
Fluffy,
I have in my pocket right now a Quark AA^2 from the first neutral-white run. Mine has done good service with a fair bit of abuse (High-speed concrete impact, dropped 20 feet onto a steel ladder rung, daily use), and it's held up fine. As with ALL manufactured products, some have problems. But those are usually covered pretty quickly; I got my replacement clip by mail from Atlanta within a week.

The Quark is a pretty small light. On Turbo, it's generating a lot of heat. If you plan to leave the light unattended for a while, use the next-lowest setting, which produces about 1/3 the heat and isn't much dimmer to the eyes. Small lights simply can't work at high power without a hand to take heat away. If you have time to plan ahead and really need Turbo, tailstand it in a glass of water. The thing's pretty water resistant.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it was too hot to hold in your hand, that is a problem. If it feels hot but you are still able to hold it, then it is fine.

Fluffy Ops

Newly Enlightened
I guess it was not too hot to hold, but I cannot be sure right now because at that time, I was quite surprised by the amount ofheat emanating from my light.

Anyways, thanks for all the feedback; I'm happy to know that there is not an abnormaly with my flashlight and that it can also withstand so rugged use. :)

AnAppleSnail, I will try that ater trick of yours sometime soon... maybe during the weekend...

I LOVE FLASHLIGHTS!