Surefire Z2S

sleep creeper

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys i am new to cpf...but i have been a streamlight fan for a while..i have several lights from them. That said...ive always wondered about the big hype with surefire so decided to order a z2s and i really light the built quality and looks but the light seems to have a warmer tint to it then for example my strion led which has a bluish tint...does surefire usually have a warmer tint...ad my strion led is rated at 160 like the z2s but seems brighter to me...???

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire usually uses cool white LEDs and have one of the nicest tints around. If I may say so, most of my Surefire has a creamy white tint to it, with the exception of the AZ2 and Stratum.

Like AZ2 and Stratum, the Z2S also uses a Luxeon K2 TFFC emitter which is more towards the yellowish side of tint. Almost like neutral white (warmer tint) but not quite there. The tint from the K2 TFFC seems to rest on the crossroads between cool white and neutral white. Some would like it but some don't. Personally I have mixed feelings about it.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
My experience with Surefires is that the Luxeons usually have a warmer tint than the other emitters out there. For example, if you want a warmer tinted U2, buy the older Lux-V model. The L2 (discontinued, but still available on the MP), while not "warm", is warmer than the other LED's out there used by most mfg.'s.

sleep creeper

Newly Enlightened
Ok i see now its the warmest tint then that i have seen...it is creamy like...why do you guys have mix feelings about it??? just curious....

yowzer

Enlightened
I have an AZ2 and like it a lot. Both the K2 and the 5mms have a much nicer tint than usual for Surefire (I'm a neutral/warm white guy). That said, the only Surefire I have with a bad (Nasty blue) tint is the 5mms in my A2.

The K2's not the latest and greatest LED (Heck, it was discontinued before the SF lights using it were released! I can only assume they have versions with an updated LED in the pipeline for when their stock gets used up), but I'm fond of it. Haven't seen one with a bad tint, bright enough, and it had a reputation for ruggedness that makes it a good fit for SF.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok i see now its the warmest tint then that i have seen...it is creamy like...why do you guys have mix feelings about it??? just curious....

I came from the incandescent era and I kind of like how incandescent makes all the colors pop. I mean the white and bright Surefire incandescent and not some cheapy incandescent bulb that is downright dim and orangey. When I buy LED lights that are warmer in tint, I prefer one that matches as close as possible to the Surefire incandescent that I have been accustomed to. Neutral white and most high CRI LED seems to be close enough to what I am seeing from an incandescent light so they are my main choice of LEDs.

With the K2 TFFC emitter that Surefire uses, I really don't know where to place it. IMHO, warmer color is nicer but color accuracy must be there too. The tint projected by the K2 TFFC is just yellow. It doesn't serve much purpose in rendering colors more accurately as it lacked the red or magenta tint to give red colors an extra boost. And to make matters worst it accentuate yellow objects by making them look even more yellowish and in the end just makes it a sickly looking yellow object. But out in the field, like woods and forest, it does work better than cool white. At least I get better contrast and can make out the colors between the leaves and trunks easily.

sleep creeper

Newly Enlightened
OK i understand now...so what you guys think...should i keep it? you think i made a good choice as my first surefire i paid $120 shipped for it?

yowzer

Enlightened
OK i understand now...so what you guys think...should i keep it? you think i made a good choice as my first surefire i paid $120 shipped for it?

Honestly, in the end, it doesn't matter what we think. If YOU like it, keep it. Otherwise, you shouldn't have any trouble selling it off on the marketplace.

sleep creeper

Newly Enlightened
OK sounds good overall i think i paid a good price for it and making it my first surefire i will keep it pluz i like the strobe on it to annoy my friends haha thank all of you for your input and answers and expertise

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is still a nice light. I would suggest you use it for awhile and see if you will like it.

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't find the tint of the AZ2 or Z2-S to be yellow. I quite like the tints they produce.

With tints, it is all down to how your eyes perceive the light...

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah...$120 for an AZ2 is awesome...if you don't think so, I'll buy it off you for $121...LOL! That's my next "have-to-have light". Like yowzer said, the tint only matters to you...people can go on and on about "High CRI lights are the shiznit", blah-blah-blah, but if you don't like them, what's the point? Enjoy your Surefire...I guarantee it won't be your last!

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah...$120 for an AZ2 is awesome...if you don't think so, I'll buy it off you for $121...LOL! That's my next "have-to-have light". Like yowzer said, the tint only matters to you...people can go on and on about "High CRI lights are the shiznit", blah-blah-blah, but if you don't like them, what's the point? Enjoy your Surefire...I guarantee it won't be your last!

He bought the Z2S and not AZ2. Btw, I PMed you a couple of weeks ago regarding a very mint AZ2. You keen?