New Toys!

Napalm

Enlightened
Hi gang,

These just arrived today:

Eagletac P20A2 MkII XP-G S2 (cool white) and Xeno Cube E11 V7 XM-L 4C T5 (neutral white)

5763255428_fc2c226eac_b.jpg

Boxes opened:

The flashlights:

Tail view:

And tint difference:

And now the comments:

The XM-L Cube is definitely floody when compared with the Eagletac. I actually wished it to be this way, as the intended use is as a night table flashlight (that doesn't offend the missus by looking too "tactical"). The neutral tint is easier on the eyes and is in tone with the bedroom's other lights.

The Eagletac was an afterthought, after ordering the Cube I asked the dealer if he could recommend an emergency light to be kept in the car, and that would work safely in the Canadian temperature range (-30 Celsius in the winter, +50 Celsius in the summer when parked in the sun). He recommended this one, to be used with either NiMh or e2 Lithiums depending on season and (safety) preferences. It does everything I wanted, crenelated bezel to break glass, comes up in high mode, has a plethora of distress modes (sos, beacon etc) and decent runtime. I checked against other lights I researched before and this one was just the perfect match.

Compared with a Sunwayman M20A 2xAA light with XP-G R5 led, the Eagletac is better focused, brighter and rather bluish tint versus greenish.

I can't compare the cube with anything as this is my only XM-L light (for now).

No beamshots as I can't be bothered with them for now, I feel the urge to go play with the lights.

Both lights with many led options are available from here:

http://www.illuminationgear.com/

with same day shipping and exceptional service. I strongly recommend them.

Nap.

7k7k99

Newly Enlightened
that Xeno cube looks really cool, would love to read an expanded review

trooplewis

Newly Enlightened
Xeno says its the first cubic flashlight on earth. I wonder why they did not count this one?

dscn2306.jpg

Napalm

Enlightened
that Xeno cube looks really cool, would love to read an expanded review

I think that there are some reviews of the Xeno around, I hope to do beamshots soon too. Just to clarify the UI as there was some confusion around.

Mine always starts in Medium. This is achieved by fully depressing the button which works as a "reverse clicky". The medium is pleasantly low (won't blind you) and the floody character + tint makes it non-agressive on the eyes. By lightly pressing the button, it will switch to Low (quite a low one) then to High.

There were reports of Xeno lights that say it will start in the next mode every time (i.e. you turn it off in Medium, next time will start in Low). It isn't the case with mine, which always starts in Medium.

Otherwise it comes with a spare tail switch and front glass + o-rings + some other parts. Should have a pretty long life...... as you can service it yourself.

The LED is well centered and the reflector comes in close vicinity to it (you can't see the PCB around the LED).

Delicious stuff. I think I want one in XP-G cool tint too :devil:

Nap.

ATF628

Newly Enlightened
I want that Cube! I know what I'm saving my dough for now.

Chongker

Newly Enlightened
Nice Cube :thumbsup:

I've got a neutral XPG version, but I think the floodier XML would match it better. Happy with mine though.

Napalm

Enlightened
Beamshots! Ok, I'm a n00b at it but at least I try. Distance to wall is 2.15 meters (about 7 feet). On the left is Sunwayman M10A XP-G, right is the cube with XM-L. Both are loaded with 1AA eneloop and on max power. What I'm trying to show here is that if you want something resembling a hotspot and some throw, the XP-G wins. If you want a softer, floodier, non-aggresive light, the XM-L wins. Pics are intentionally underexposed as to show this character. In real life both produce plenty of light to see very well at this distance.

So I'd say that if you want to walk the dog outside, go for XPG. If you want to find your way inside the house at night without blasting your eyes, go for the XML.

Nap.

Napalm

Enlightened
More new toys! Just arrived! (I decided to get two new lights per day until I catch up with you guys :devil:)

Thrunite Neutron 1A, Klarus Mi X6 and a Maxpedition RAT Wallet (the Neutron fits inside just fine, although it's on the larger side for a 1xAA):

Out of the boxes:

The lights only:

And the tints:

Comments:

The Klarus is an amazing light for the size. 3 light levels + strobe, in the right order (medium, low, high, strobe). The missus already grabbed it from me and hid it in her purse. Guess I'll have to order a second sample.

I like the Neutron. I'm currently debating if I should honor it as my EDC, replacing the Sunwayman M10A. It's floodier but not that much as its "flood light" designation by Thrunite would suggest.

Nap.

uknewbie

Banned
Mmmm....new toys...

That Cube looks nice. Prob never buy one but I do like them. Good use that actually, table top light :) Looks classy enough for it.

Lightman2

Enlightened
Hi Napalm. Good buying on the P20A2 MKII. I also got one of these based on Tod's reccomendations and from many hrs seeing what people liked and what was around. I really like the S2 LED on the P20A2 MKII. It offers great combination of throw and spill, is made finely without any flaws that I can see, operational perfect and has all my favourite and life saving modes like strobe, sos and beacon as well as high, med and low light settings. I am however pretty keen on the latest Eagletac catalogue pdf I got from Illuminationgear and of course (Zebra fan) the new Zebra Q50. Wished I had as much money as you LOL.

mt62092

Newly Enlightened
your taste are right inline with mine. I just received my cube and ordered an eagletac t20c2 a month ago and the next lite i am getting is the klarus mi x6. so you can see i love your choices. enjoy.

Napalm

Enlightened
Hi Napalm. Good buying on the P20A2 MKII. I also got one of these based on Tod's reccomendations and from many hrs seeing what people liked and what was around. I really like the S2 LED on the P20A2 MKII. It offers great combination of throw and spill, is made finely without any flaws that I can see, operational perfect and has all my favourite and life saving modes like strobe, sos and beacon as well as high, med and low light settings.

Well said, I can add only couple of things:

- The P20A2 is built like a tank;
- The S2 tint in my sample is actually very nice, a cool electric blue, without greenish haze or yellow rings or whatever. From all my XP-G lights (3) this one looks the best;
- I was pretty torn when ordering if I should wait for the XM-L HO version; now that I am able to compare XP-G vs XM-L, I think that for 1xAA and 2xAA lights with smaller reflectors the XP-G works better - unless you specifically want a floodier, softer light; if you add more power (i.e. 4xAA) and larger reflector then the XM-L will start to have an edge.

Now some negative comments - about the Thrunite Neutron 1A. No, the clip did not scratch the head. And no, the head doesn't wobble. My issue is with the contact the light makes with the (+) end of the battery. The battery's button goes in direct contact with the PCB's thin layer of metal. I can see how it can wear it when rotating - especially since this is a design where you're supposed to rotate the head to change modes (so the wear happens in normal operation, not only when you replace the battery). All my other AA lights have a solid metal button there, including the Sunwaymans - which don't have rotating heads mode changing. And you have to see the Eagletac one - really big and solid, you'll need several years of continuously rotating the head over the battery to wear that one lol.

So what's the purpose of making all the flashlight impressively solid if you forget this point of wear...

Nap.

Last edited:

Napalm

Enlightened
your taste are right inline with mine. I just received my cube and ordered an eagletac t20c2 a month ago and the next lite i am getting is the klarus mi x6. so you can see i love your choices. enjoy.

Nice. The cube is gorgeous! Be warned that the Klarus has the same design as the Neutron - i.e. the battery's (+) button will rub against the PCB metal layer when you operate the head. Now if the intended use is as a lady's purse EDC light, it's not big deal as the light will be seldom used so it should last many years. But if you intend to wear it on your keychain and use it frequently, I think this is something you should investigate before committing to the purchase.

Nap.

Napalm

Enlightened
Head construction comparison.

Left, Thrunite Neutron 1A. The central contact and the tube contact (gold color) are both PCB layer. This is a design where you select modes by rotating the head ("twisty") so there will be rubbing and wearing of those PCB layers when rotating them over the tube edge and battery's (+) button. You can already see on the tube contact ring a dark trace created by rubbing against the tube edge (left of the photo). The silver ring is just the reverse polarity protection. I would have expected 3 solid metal rings of different heights that could take some reasonable wear and tear.

Right, Sunwayman M10A. The central contact (gold color) is a solid metal pill. The tube contact is a solid Aluminum ring attached with screws. The M10A is a fixed head design, the only time you need to rotate it is when changing batteries.

Hello Thrunite, do you hear me? I'm quite disappointed by this, especially since otherwise the light is very solid.

Nap.

Last edited:

mt62092

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the heads up Napalm. It is people like you that make this forum fun and addicting .

Napalm

Enlightened
I was seriously considering the thrunite. Maybe ill reconsider.
But might have to pick up the eagletac though.

The Eagletac head has substantial, solid metal rings and central pill. It won't wear any time soon no matter how hard you abuse it.

Nap.

Lightman2

Enlightened
Yes I also note the same PCB issue with the Quark Mini 123 although the centre middle is raised up from the board about (cannot measure with vernier) .5mm. With 47's 10 year warranty I assume any issues wil be promptly sorted. Good thing I got a Zebra SC51 (no issues there) and an Eagletac P20A2 MKII.