Email to tesco and reply :)

Thomasaurus

Newly Enlightened
As you all know, especially the UK cpf'ers like myself that the black led flashlights tesco used to sell were the dog's danglies. For the value for money they were simply unbeatable and they got a bit of a cult following with pretty much every kind of person who needs a decent light. They were loved by many and hated by non!

But one day they dissapeared...to be replaced by crappy silver models with 3 5mm led's and inferior build quality and insultingly the same price!

To go backwards and downgrade what they sell seemed utterly stupid and they really didnt even realise what a crap product it was and that what they used to sell were amazing value!

So I thought I know...lets see what they have to say. Basically I sent an email explaining what I just said aimed at them, asking why they dont sell the old versions and sell a rubbish lot now. I have the D cell and used to have the AA cell and loved them but told them the new ones were universally hated and that they should google the old ones so they'd realise how silly they've been.

And today I came home to find a message on my phone which says to this extent:

"Unfortunately the cree torches are discontinued and are no longer available but I have passed your message on to the head office and the manufacturor to see if they would be able to create a product similar to what used to be on offer. They will take your comments into consideration when redesigning the current product. Thanks for your call"

So hopefully they might have twigged why the old one sold like mad and these ones sit of a shelf collecting dust :)

Does this mean another bargain product on its way one day? I'd like to say watch this space because I'll most definately be checking my local tesco in the future and I can honestly say I'll be dam impressed if my email sparks a whole new improved product like the version of old we all loved!

IlluminatedOne

Newly Enlightened
Sounds interesting lets hope tescos start selling the better ones again, i missed out on them the first time round and i could always do with a few more lights :).

Thomasaurus

Newly Enlightened
Yeah definately. It was the price that made them such a hit. Pretty much like the maglites in term of build and performance but it less than half the price!

Kingfisher

Enlightened
I never look at supermarket lights, Asda, Tesco, Sainsbury's etc - thinking they're all junk by default - looks like I missed out on this one. Could you (or anyone else) post a pic or 2 ?

Thomasaurus

Newly Enlightened
Sure. I've only got the d cell left but I'll sort it out later when I get a chance.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
It strikes me that all things being equal, Tesco's have as much intention of putting customer satisfaction over profit margins as a pack of hyena's intend to leave the slow wildebeest to die of old age with a nice cup of tea!

Those cree lights were splendid, though. very bright and robust (I have a couple of 2C ones) and apart from a slightly flickery switch on occasion, very good value. I have known urban explorers to have them as their only lights for underground treks (NOT something I'd recommend BTW).

I think that crappy 5mm cheapies will cost the company much, much less to stock than the well made cree lights, and if they can sell them to the public for the same prices, then it's doubles and trebles all round.

Apparently Lidl have a good one in some of their stores.

Thomasaurus

Newly Enlightened
They might make twice as much butI know from looking at the dust covered shelf that they are selling a fraction of what they used to. The old ones were out of stock and refilled quite often. Suppose even the general public see the crappy old looking big fat led's and the inferior quality and can see that they are terrible!

I know they are pretty popular as a back up light with cavers and such but I agree that I wouldn't want to only use one! I had an AA one that died pretty quick (must have been a baddun) but I've got a D cell one that I use daily just for watching the dog in the garden but its on its first set of batteries after 2 years! I changed it to some fresh batteries the other day to make sure its not just me getting used to a dimmer beam but it was still the same. Very impressive for what it is! Plus you can take the head off and use it in a candlemode like the minimags, looks amusing but frickin bright with a big D cell candle lol!

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could you post the email address so we can all write? Maybe we could start a "bring back the cree lights" movement!

Those 2 C lights are great. Really good cheap mod fodder. My 2C runs 3 XPG's....

DSC00103.jpg

Thomasaurus

Newly Enlightened
Popped into tesco at the weekend and they have new lights! A 2aa and 2d for £10 and £15 much more like the old lights. Haven't tried anything out yet but defy adept going to buy the aa one!

Thomasaurus

Newly Enlightened
Is this the one:
http://direct.tesco.com/product/images/?R=208-7946&tn=/6/SS11208-7946TPS1124405.jpg

'Active LED' AA torch - £25. About the same price as a Fenix E11? Is it significantly better? - looks well built nice steel bezel and tailcap. Big for an AA though.

EDIT - just realised it is a 2x AA. Can't see a single AA on the Tesco Direct website - do they sell one in store?

No single aa, I meant the 2aa one I'll be getting, sorry for the confusion. It's better than the silver crap theyve had in which led to me complaining. They look similar to the one I that link but all black and a little slimmer I think. If they're an improvement on the original black Cree ones we all love so much then possibly bargain of the year maybe? Excited to find out!

Thomasaurus

Newly Enlightened
Is this the one:
http://direct.tesco.com/product/images/?R=208-7946&tn=/6/SS11208-7946TPS1124405.jpg

'Active LED' AA torch - £25. About the same price as a Fenix E11? Is it significantly better? - looks well built nice steel bezel and tailcap. Big for an AA though.

EDIT - just realised it is a 2x AA. Can't see a single AA on the Tesco Direct website - do they sell one in store?

No single aa, I meant the 2aa one I'll be getting, sorry for the confusion. It's better than the silver crap theyve had in which led to me complaining. They look similar to the one I that link but all black and a little slimmer I think. If they're an improvement on the original black Cree ones we all love so much then possibly bargain of the year maybe? Excited to find out!

fortean101

Newly Enlightened
Here are some pictures of a 2D cell one I bought a couple of years ago
It has a Seoul P4 and has an optic, good value but not upto m#glite quality, I agree that the lights since have been uninspiring!

5684867c-7709-942f.jpg

5684867c-771b-e289.jpg

Thomasaurus

Newly Enlightened
I have that d cell one too. Sits next to my back door for when I let the dog out. Still on it's first set of batteries after 2 years of almost daily use! Stuck some new batteries in the other day to see if it made any difference and ran the same!

I agree, those replacements that you can get in halfords and b&q are horrendous. Looks like my email worked!

Oh and the d cell shown there works awesome in candle mode! I didn't even realise it did it until recently, give it a whirl, you'll be impressed :)

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I looked at a 2D in Tescos the other night after having my flu jab. It didn't look as good as the old ones, build quality appeared less than before. Cree XRE led, large smooth reflector. I didn't bother buying.

Cypher_Aod

Enlightened
I have that d cell one too. Sits next to my back door for when I let the dog out. Still on it's first set of batteries after 2 years of almost daily use! Stuck some new batteries in the other day to see if it made any difference and ran the same!

I agree, those replacements that you can get in halfords and b&q are horrendous. Looks like my email worked!

Oh and the d cell shown there works awesome in candle mode! I didn't even realise it did it until recently, give it a whirl, you'll be impressed :)
If yours has the SSC P4 led then i don't recommend that, the emitter-dome is made of a gooey and slightly sticky silicone and running it in candle mode might cause it to fog up or get covered in dust/gunge. :(

Thomasaurus

Newly Enlightened
I'll have to have a closer look. I've only done it a couple of times indoors for the novelty factor.

No pics unfortunately but I can confirm the new 2aa is about as bright as my 200ish lumen ultrafire but with really good throw for what it cost. Very good light for the money! Worth a try for curiosities sake anyway.