Previously P.O. but now Happy Surefire 6P Owner

I bought a surefire 6p just about a year ago. The switch is failing :( Anyway what the issue is is the silver thingy that holds the spring has come loose. sometimes it sticks when turning off and the way it "jiggles" makes the light come on intermendently. Anyway I read that the switch is NOT warranted!! I have lost some respect for surefire cause of this. Anyway is there anyway to fix the switch with out buying a new one??

SgtCuts

Newly Enlightened
I had this exact issue with my switch so I called surefire and they gladly sent me a replacement z59 which is what I had to begin with

redsfairlane

Newly Enlightened
Re: Pissed off Surefire 6P Owner

I'm pretty sure they are warranted, send them an email.
Otherwise it sounds like the pin (or rivet) holding you switch together has worked loose and ma be an easy fix.
have a look at this thread, at the pictures in the first post, they show the pin quite clearly. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?83844-McE2S-for-C-M-bodies-prototype-evaluated-!!!
You may be able to just push it back in with the tip of a pair of needle nose pliers or small screwdriver, or something.

Only other option I would sugest is that it's a perfect oportunity to upgrade to a clicky, Oveready.com perhaps.

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi dieselducy,

It sounds like you may have one of the old Surefire 6P's (or at least an old tailcap switch). The early generations were not lock-out tailcaps and the guts would literally just fall out when you took them off the light to replace batteries, etc... That is normal for them, thus the reason why Surefire has since made better versions since then.

I don't know where you read that the tailcaps are not warranted. Surefire does warranty their tailcaps. Whatever the problem, I would highly suggest you contact Surefire Customer Service by phone (I would discourage you from emailing them as their phone CS is much more satisfactory). Their toll-free CS number is on their site. Tell them what is going on with your tailcap. I am confident that they will help you out.:thumbsup:

Good Luck!

Knuckles

Newly Enlightened

Hi dieselducy,

It sounds like you may have one of the old Surefire 6P's (or at least an old tailcap switch). The early generations were not lock-out tailcaps and the guts would literally just fall out when you took them off the light to replace batteries, etc... That is normal for them, thus the reason why Surefire has since made better versions since then.

I don't know where you read that the tailcaps are not warranted. Surefire does warranty their tailcaps. Whatever the problem, I would highly suggest you contact Surefire Customer Service by phone (I would discourage you from emailing them as their phone CS is much more satisfactory). Their toll-free CS number is on their site. Tell them what is going on with your tailcap. I am confident that they will help you out.:thumbsup:

Good Luck!

You should give the company a chance next time before bashing them online. It looks like they are taking care of you so lesson learned.

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast

So I guess the switch IS warranted
The Surefire no-hassle guarantee says: Lamps will burn out and batteries will be used up. Everything else is covered by our no-hassle guarantee: If it breaks, we fix it.

I´m glad you´ll get your replacment part.

Eric

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've had a few dealings with Surefire customer service, a couple of times they just sent a new part, but the other times they asked for me to send it back, at which point, I'd usually rather just fix it myself if possible if it's going to save on the money I'd spend on shipping. Plus, the wait... It seems like the no-hassle warranty only applies to your first few problems, after which the hassle becomes sending the part in and waiting 2-3 weeks. Just my 2 cents...

Shao

Mathiashogevold

Enlightened

Lamps will burn out, batteries will be used up, and switches may eventually wear out
Everything else is covered by our no-hassle guarantee.

I really like their service, and i know they do fix switches and so, but why does it stand that switches may eventually wear out? It sounds like they wouldn't replace them?
So, is there other things that may fail with Surefires? the threads?

Edit:
Normal wear and tear-including lamps burning out, headbands and headpads wearing out, batteries draining, ink cartridges running out, and switches wearing out-is not covered

Last edited:

damn_hammer

Enlightened

the op should be happy that a part broke after 1 year, and it was replaced? i wouldn't blame them for being unhappy that it broke in the first place.

Captain Spaulding

Enlightened

I spoke with SF on the phone about getting a replacement switch... She basically said that the "switches may eventually wear out" part was referring to weapon lights... not hand held lights. ( I suppose for the cost factor, weapon lights switches being much more expensive?) Anyway, I too was sent a switch, no questions asked. Oh and I once called offering to buy a G2 tailcap that I lost and they sent me a new one for free. I think SFs states warranty (like their stated lumens) is very conservative. Under-promise and over-deliver generally makes people happy.

cm_mtb

Enlightened
It seems email is hit or miss with Surefire. I've sent them two emails, one requesting product release information and the other requesting a new part under warranty. SF replied to both within 24 hours.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a surefire 6p just about a year ago. The switch is failing :( Anyway what the issue is is the silver thingy that holds the spring has come loose. sometimes it sticks when turning off and the way it "jiggles" makes the light come on intermendently. Anyway I read that the switch is NOT warranted!! I have lost some respect for surefire cause of this. Anyway is there anyway to fix the switch with out buying a new one??

No matter what SureFires warranty says.. there is a high chance they will replace it.

I once left an E2DL at the bottom of a pool for 2 hours while testing it's "water proof ness". The E2DL tailcap was a known leaker and I ruined it.

The email I sent to SF was almost identical to the above paragraph. Had a new one in 5 days.

They stand behind their stuff.. ESPECIALLY if you didn't do it yourself (and even sometimes if you did).

aldagoods

Newly Enlightened
I ran into o-ring issues with my older E2e. Sent their customer service an email and got a response the next day asking for my address to ship replacements. No questions asked and fast service. I'd give em a chance :D.

Latest posts