Help with Olight M20S S2 please

jaqattack02

Newly Enlightened
I recently purchased an Olight M20S S2, and it arrived today. After taking it out of the package I loaded up a pair of Titanium Innovation CR123s and it fired up and seemed to be working well. A co-worker and I were taking a look at it, and he wanted to see the inside so we took off both the head and tail cap, and then reassembled it. After reassembling it's not nearly as bright as it was when I first fired it up. I have tried 2 other sets of batteries, and that made no difference. I have also cleaned the threads with a cloth, which didn't help any either. Testing it side by side with my EagleTac P10C, the P10C on Low has a brighter beam than the M20C does on high. Is there anything I should check on the light before I contact the company I purchased it from to get it replaced?

jaqattack02

Newly Enlightened
I've done that. It cycles through the settings just fine. The issue is that the low setting is barely visible, and the high isn't as bright as my P10C. That's definitely not right.

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try another set of new batteries (votage is 3.2v) for cr123 or a 18650.
Tighten the clip ring.
Take the head off, touch see if the modules loose.
Take the bezel off, screw the reflector out, then use a needle nose plyer to tighten the modules tight.

jaqattack02

Newly Enlightened
Tighten the clip ring.
Take the bezel off, screw the reflector out, then use a needle nose plyer to tighten the modules tight.

I've tried a couple different sets of CR123s, both from the set I just bought, and from a set I've had stored for a while. I don't have any 18650s to try.

Forgive my noobness, but what is the clip ring?

I removed the head, and everything there seems tight. I removed the bezel and the reflector, and everything there is tight as well.

I'm thinking I may have just gotten a bad one, I guess I'll have to get in touch with the seller about an RMA to get it replaced.

herosemblem

Enlightened
Tighten the clip ring.

Great and true advice.

My M20 R2 had many weird problems. I finally figured out that nothing I could do by hand, would fix the problem.
I had to order a special pair of long/sharp tweezers (since all the needlenoses I had were actually too fat) and I unscrewed everything, including the heatsink and pill and all the tailcap components...reinstalled them and that fixed everything. Light works great now. The problem started occurring after I unscrewed the reflector by hand. Somehow that loosened the LED pill or something. But the special tweezers fixed it all.

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last thing.
Try a paper clip as a tail cap, if it bright then using a needle nose plyer tighten the inside of the tail cap.
A clip ring is the ring that hold the clip, if it tight then you can close the tail cap more.
Sometime the batteries came with the light or stored cr123 die for no reason, check it if it have 3.2v

jaqattack02

Newly Enlightened
I tried the paperclip and it wasn't any brighter than it is with the tail cap.

I tested the batteries with my multimeter and they were both just over 3v.

jaqattack02

Newly Enlightened
Me too, I've emailed Battery Junction to get an RMA so I can exchange it. It's a really nice looking light, I hope I just got a bad one or something. If the second one doesn't work out, I may return it to get a Fenix, or maybe another EagleTac.

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad it work out for you.

Great and true advice.

My M20 R2 had many weird problems. I finally figured out that nothing I could do by hand, would fix the problem.
I had to order a special pair of long/sharp tweezers (since all the needlenoses I had were actually too fat) and I unscrewed everything, including the heatsink and pill and all the tailcap components...reinstalled them and that fixed everything. Light works great now. The problem started occurring after I unscrewed the reflector by hand. Somehow that loosened the LED pill or something. But the special tweezers fixed it all.

herosemblem

Enlightened
Jaqattack, I'm not sure if I missed you saying that you attempted this fix or not, but...

Did you try tightening all the retaining rings, heatsinks, and all those items in the head---using a special needlenose pliers?