Kinda impressed with the Cree Maglite 3D

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wanted to share my impression of the new Maglite 3D LED with Cree LED.

I read some of the previous posts about the latest Maglite 3D with Cree LED and it grabed my attention. The specs looked pretty good and the price was right. I think it is a very nice light for the price and does a "suprisingly" nice job.

I have two of the original Mag 3D lights with the "upgrade" LED module. These were Luxion LED modules that did OK in there time. The new Maglite LED is much better.

The new Maglite 3D LED is listed as 131 lumens and a very impressive 33,000 candle power spot which is one of the best throwers I have. This thing will pounce some of the more lumen output lights with 18650 cells. The reflector is deeper than the original mag and does a nice job with the variable focus.

For someone looking for a very decent amount of output, long runtime, and a very impressive throw, this light does it very well.

For the money - this light is a home run.

Last edited:

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, it's not quite like "the good ol days" when your pocket sized led light would pretty much trounce any stock Mag of any size...

In a way it's not a bad thing; if Mag (and other companies) step up their game, then all the cutting edge companies will up their game also in response. (None of them want to get beat by Maglite for heaven's sake!! lol!)

Most people don't carry any light at all anyway, though, so whatever you've got on hand is going to beat what they've got (a cell phone or i-pod screen backlight!)

CheepSteal

Enlightened
I was impressed when I used the new Maglite LED too. It's a crazy thrower but with somewhat compromised flood. Very cool toy to play with at night though, looks more like a lightsaber than any light I've personally seen. :p

SgtCuts

Newly Enlightened
could you or someone else here post a picture of the packaging so I can see the difference with the old packaging to know which to buy?

cccpull

Enlightened
(None of them want to get beat by Maglite for heaven's sake!! lol!)

It's possible but unlikely anyone could beat you if you have Maglite 3D at hand.:D

But seriously, I have the 2D Rebel and I'm going to be picking up a couple of these.

Last edited:

Jay611j

Enlightened
Anybody have a picture comparing beams on the 1st gen LED to the Cree model? I have the 1st gen LED 3D Mag and figured the new ones wouldn't be THAT much brighter to justify the purchase. The way you all are talking about it, they sound much brighter. :eek:

Illum

Flashaholic
it's just too bad that their lights don't seem to be regulated at all and that Mag stubbornly refuses to use better lenses. heck, i'd even settle for a polycarb lens. if not for those two issues, i'd totally buy this light.

This does not surprise me, since the earliest reviews done by NewBie has determined that the driver is only a DC-DC converter with high losses. Its boost only, giving it a "semiregulated output" with a shallow slope down and an abrupt decrease in output towards the end of its life cycle. Their distinction from the application of better optics may have something to do with the price point target they are trying to achieve. Perhaps the QC do not consider it to be a major determinant in light output [this is a maglite after all]. I personally wish Maglite would eliminate their "lamp tower" design and make advantage of the aluminum stock on the body for other, perhaps more powerful LEDs. Reinventing the PR can works for hurricane lights, not so much for medium duty excursions more than 30min to an hour running.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I would love a light like the maglite that could use D sized lithium primaries allowing decent output from an xm-l....if only someone made D sized lithium primaries!

I don't like charging batteries because I don't use flashlights enough to require frequent battery changes.

Fresh Light

Enlightened
I believe I read that the 2D was driven a bit more than the 3D. I have a 2D that I did a comparison to, a really good reflector light, the Tiabo A10, running a single 18650. So impressive as it seems by itself, regular Mags have a ways to go. But they are much better than they used to be.

L Tiabo A10 2D Mag R
a10mag.jpg

Last edited:

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wanted to share my impression of the new Maglite 3D LED with Cree LED.

For someone looking for a very decent amount of output, long runtime, and a very impressive throw, this light does it very well.

For the money - this light is a home run.

Preach it brother!

A 2D Cree MagLED is all the flashlight most people will ever need.

More than enough output for use around the house.

Long runtime for power outages.

Impressive throw for checking out things out across the backyard.

Durable construction with lifetime warranty.

Amazing that you can just walk into a big box store and grab one of these off the shelf for less than 30 bucks!

The whole lineup of MagLED lights is a signifigant accomplishment.

Mag is bringing excellent lighting technology to the masses who shop in big box stores, and is doing it at very reasonable prices.

Gryffin

Enlightened
The whole lineup of MagLED lights is a signifigant accomplishment.

I just wish they'd put their new LED tech into their C-Cell lights. Some of us like the big reflector and big performance, in a lighter handier package.

But since they don't even make their C lights in colors other than black anymore, it's obvious i'm in the minority.

uknewbie

Banned
Mag do have some plus points:

Cheap
Readily available to buy and replace parts
Simple construction
Trusted brand, warranty

However there are some obvious flaws with this value of light:

Cheap to buy, but this means cheap components; plastic lens, reflector, switch etc
Rubber switch cover seems to get lost easily
Low power
Large size - poor size/output ratio
Type II ano not III
Somewhat messy beams

For the money they do fill a large hole in the in store market, but they are far far from cutting edge. They just do nothing for me...

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just wish they'd put their new LED tech into their C-Cell lights. Some of us like the big reflector and big performance, in a lighter handier package.

But since they don't even make their C lights in colors other than black anymore, it's obvious i'm in the minority.

Oh ye of little faith!

It has long been prophesied that Mag will soon bring forth a whole new line of C-cell MagLEDs.

As 2C, 3C, and rechargable C models appear in the big box stores even the unenlightened masses will rejoice!

Seriously, I know what you mean about 2C form factor lights. Those have long been a favorite of mine due to their superior ergos compared to the 2D form factor. Sort of a happy compromise between 2AA and 2D with some of the advantages of both.

The new 2C MagLED looks terrific. Runtime is very good. High level is 120+ lumens from a big head making over 20,000 cd worth of throw. Low level is 25% of high. Has strobe and SOS, but those can be locked out so you never see them.

I don't know if the new C-cell lights will be offered in colors, but I'd guess so since Mag gets around to offering everything else in colors eventually.

Last edited:

Gryffin

Enlightened
The new 2C MagLED looks terrific. Runtime is very good. High level is 120+ lumens from a big head making over 30,000 cd worth of throw. Low level is 25% of high. Has strobe and SOS, but those can be locked out so you never see them.

Wha-what? The 2C MagLED is out?!?!? Why was I not informed???

Seriously, this is the first I've heard of it. There's nothing about it on the Maglite site, that's for sure.

Gryffin

Enlightened
Last edited: