Tigerlight bulb module(s)

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I replaced the bulb module in my 11" Tigerlight that I received several days ago from GTDistributors. The bulb/reflector combination that came with it had a beam with batwings and some other distortions. The new module that I ordered direct from the Tigerlight site ($13.95) resulted in a large improvement in the beam, eliminating the batwings and greatly smoothing it out in general. So, there must be at least two different bulb modules out there in these lights.

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ummm, let's see....I bought the light from GT Distributors, and I ordered and paid for a spare new bulb module from Tigerlight. I tried the new bulb module, and the beam quality improved significantly. That's my story and I'm sticking to it (smile).

Zeppert

Enlightened
Shouldn't Tigerlight replace it for free? It's brand new and under warrantee?!?!?! NO!?

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm replacement of a lamp assy that doesn't project a perfect looking beam is not in the list of warranty claims by Tigerlight I think....

larry

Newly Enlightened
Sotto,
You say the beam quality was improved, but what about the light output, was it improved. i also bought one from GT.
Larry

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zeppart:

Well, at no point did I conclude that the beam or the light was in any way "defective in workmanship or materials". In fact, I would've been perfectly happy if the beam had stayed the way it came forever. However, I'm pleased to provide the info to this group that apparently the newest bulb modules from Tigerlight are substantially improved. I suppose I could've screamed and hollered and maybe got a free replacement module, but generally my relatives from Iowa wouldn't have approved of that (smile).

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, Larry, I had the distinct feeling that the overall light output did improve, and also it seemed like the beam sharpened up, too. I just didn't want to make too many claims beyond the fact that those damn batwings disappeared (hallelujah).

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
My TL has a beam that had a few blemishes, but I don't consider it defective. Someone mentioned they put some WriteRight on theirs to "clean it up", so I did & it did. There was nothing wrong with it before for being functional for it's purpose, it just looked better with the cleaner beam. I have no complaint. TX

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
My Tigerlight from GT arrived today and has the batwings as well. I remember an earlier thread where Tigerlight pro commented on the price from GT and I believe he said due to the price they were probably the older ones with the previous issue bulb/reflector. He also said the new bulb/reflector would work well in the old housing. Sounds like another REV1, REV2 candidate. I knew this going in but the deal was too good to pass up and would not expect Tigerlight to send me a new bulb/reflector. Even with the batwings it is a terrific light. Too bad we are giving it away but it is going to a true American hero. See "Tigerlight Christmas story"

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I recently purchased a 8" Tigerlight from Dan. It has the "batwings" beam, flat and wide. Does anyone know what the difference between the new and old bulb assembly versions are? Also, I got the white battery pack too.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Here is Randy's detailed description of the difference betwen gen 1 an gen 2 lamp modules.
(reposted by permission from Randy)

"THe specifications of the the Gen 1 and 2 are identical as far as the lamp goes. The gen one is more of a flood design and has a very bright spill over. at 50 feet there is about a 50 foot spill over beam that is quite bright. The center spot usually will have two distinctive pie shape shadows. That reflector was released because it was liked by tacticians who did close quarters or confined area searches. More periferral vision.

The easiest way to tell is to look at the bottom of the reflector, where the lamp is mounted. You will notice that the 2nd generation lamp has a smaller radius. this causes the bottom of the reflector to appear as though it coms out more sharpleyu from the stem and when it turns up toward the two inch rim there is a very small ridge, almost not noticeable.

Other than that, there is a dramatic difference in performance. the second gen has a tighter focus, further reach and the center spot is cleaner. If you bought directly from TigerLight then you get the new version."

Randy Teig

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks brightnorm, sounds like I have a gen one assembly. I ordered from Dan under his special sale, but he direct shipped from Tigerlight. I may have to get the newer version and compare. I just got my light and have not had a chance to try it outside yet. Thanks again.