Cobra 7 LED vs Tektite observations

hirby

Newly Enlightened
Just received the Cobra "Glowmaster" 7 LED flashlight and am comparing it to my Tektite 14 LED. The Glowmaster costed $15 compared to Tektite's $65.95 for their Expedition 300 7 lED model. Although I don't have the Tektite "7" LED model myself and instead have the "14" LED model, I have closely examined the 7 LED Tektite model before and other than the number of LED's, isn't any different. The Cobra site lists this as an "AA" battery model, but is incorrect, it is a "C" cell like the Tektite.

Case construction-wise, they are EXACTLY the same. The only difference in the external housing is that Cobra puts a sticker on the side instead of molding Tektite nomenclature directly into the plastic. Same plastic body and twisting lexan lens cap. They even have the same great lanyard. Internally, I can see no apparent differences in housing quality either.

The main difference between the Glowmaster and the Tektite is quality of details in how the LED's and reflector are put together. The Glowmaster is basically the "old" version of the Tektite before they upgraded the lens/reflector. I don't know if Tektite has a regulating resistor in their newer 7LED lights like my 14 LED model has, but there is none in the Glowmaster.

The reflector on the Cobra is not chromed, nor are the LED's potted with silicon like the Tektite is. The Cobra does have the catalyst pellet in the reflector. I think quality of the LED's is also not as good as the Tektite's I have seen. One of the LED's is slightly tinged yellow and another is tinged pea green while the rest look good and white. I have never seen anything other than perfect white LED's on Tektites (albiet I have only looked closely at 3 of them). The Tektite's also come well lubricated on the O rings which the Cobra didn't and was super stiff to turn. I let my daughter play with both in a hot bath and noticed no water leakage.

Brightness-wise, I don't have a light meter, but from my mark-one eyeball meter, the Glowmaster looks to be right where it should for 7 LED's as compared to my 14 LED model.

That differences being noted, a $50 dollar price difference is too much to ignore. I wish I had bought more as the Cobra Glowmaster's $15 price makes it a good gift as a working man's light to friends who need a good hard-use, waterproof flashlight. The off color LED's do not affect brightness or functionality in the slightest. The Cobra model did not come with the external rubber lens glove thingy that the Tektite does, but I don't really use it anyway and can always be purchased seperately if needed (I never use it myself).

If they (Cobra) continues to sell these at $15, I cant see a reason to purchase the 7 LED Tektite or CCrane models at vastly higher prices (As much as I love my 14 LED Tektite). You don't get to choose colors, don't get perfect LED's, don't get chrome reflectors, don't get silicon potted LED's, don't get grease on the O-rings, and don't get a rubber lens cap thingy. What you do get is "4" Cobra 7-LED Glowmaster's that are 95+% equivilent to "1" real Tektite 7-LED Expedition 300 with change for extra batteries. That's good value to me. I know Tektite has a patent on their stuff, so I wonder if they are letting Cobra undersell the heck out of them.

BruiseLee

Enlightened
Hirby, I just wanted to say I think your review is right on. I just received my order from Cobra, which included their 4 led "Glowmaster." Pretty much everything you said about the 7 led version applies here. I agree that although these lights might not be the best of the best, they are certainly a lot of bag for the buck. For $10, makes a great gift!

Bruise

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Trek 7 light (now sold) had a snow-white beam, which was its major standout feature. But in general, the Tektite lights cost far too much for what you get, unless you need them for diving. Those Cobra knockoffs sound like a good deal.