CPF business cards needed

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I was at Hamvention last weekend when I stopped by a booth where they were selling LED flashlights. As I was examining the LED inside a particular light, a fellow walked up next to me and was examining another light. I mentioned to him that I had that particular light and I liked it. He said that he worked in emergency services and was really into lights. I asked him if he knew about CPF, and he said no. So I told him the CPF URL, but neither of us had anything handy to write it down, so I fear that he's long since forgotten it.

I had the sense that he would've gotten a lot out of this place, and I walked away feeling like I'd missed an opportunity.

I know we've discussed CPF business cards before. Is there any interest in producing these?

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I in no way work for this company, but I get my cards printed at Vistaprint and they're super cheap...

OCD

Enlightened
I'm looking for some consensus and approval from the CPF admins for a design that will best represent the CPF community.

I think this would be a good idea as well. If an approved design was available, I would probably print a few myself just to have on hand.

bstrickler

Enlightened
I in no way work for this company, but I get my cards printed at Vistaprint and they're super cheap...

I vote we just use the CPF logo on the top left of the page for the front of the business card. The logo would be perfect for a business card, in my opinion. Logo on the front, link to CPF, CPFMP, and CPFG on the back, and a space for you to put your username on CPF, so they know who to talk to, to show them around.

I would buy 50.

~Brian

Greta

Flashaholic
As I am the only 'employee' of CPF, I feel it is improper for anyone but me to have a CPF business card. That being said... I know quite a few people who have their own personal 'business cards' with basic contact info, etc. They use those to write stuff on such as websites, etc. I am not going to approve of anything that someone might use to represent themselves as representing CPF. Unfortunately that has not worked out well for CPF in the past... ie. someone calls a manufacturer or distributor and throws around the CPF name... and for all intents and purposes they behave like a total ***. Yes, I have had manufacturers and dealers tell me to my face that they have had very bad experiences with 'my people' acting like they represent the whole of CPF... which they don't.

So... with all of THAT being said... and the fact that the CPF logos are mine and protected somehow by IP or copyright or trademark or something.... :shrug: ... well... that's all I have to say about that...

bstrickler

Enlightened
As I am the only 'employee' of CPF, I feel it is improper for anyone but me to have a CPF business card. That being said... I know quite a few people who have their own personal 'business cards' with basic contact info, etc. They use those to write stuff on such as websites, etc. I am not going to approve of anything that someone might use to represent themselves as representing CPF. Unfortunately that has not worked out well for CPF in the past... ie. someone calls a manufacturer or distributor and throws around the CPF name... and for all intents and purposes they behave like a total ***. Yes, I have had manufacturers and dealers tell me to my face that they have had very bad experiences with 'my people' acting like they represent the whole of CPF... which they don't.

So... with all of THAT being said... and the fact that the CPF logos are mine and protected somehow by IP or copyright or trademark or something.... :shrug: ... well... that's all I have to say about that...

Fair enough. I see your standpoint on the situation, and will have to side with you there.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Ok, perhaps the term business card is a bad choice of words. I'm not suggesting that we "represent" CPF in the sense of trying to imply some clout with manufacturers or vendors, however I feel there might be a happy medium somewhere. Perhaps a card that lists "My favorite flashaholic links." This could not be mistaken for a business card and would still convey the information. And it wouldn't even be specific to CPF.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I always just carry a small notepad and at least one pen on me at all times. You never know when you might have to write down something important.

For minimalist carry, a tiny pen on a keyring and an index card folded in half.

Ishango

Enlightened

Well said indeed. I think you're right, we don't want anyone giving CPF a bad name. A business card wouldn't be appropriate I think.

A better idea might be some sort of promotion card with the same size, but Greta would have to approve of this and it should make very clear the person giving it is not representing CPF.

I myself use my "personal businesscard" and can write anything on the white backside of it (adding a personal handwritten touch), if needed. But to really put this in style, we should have fauxtons with the CPF URL on it :) But that would be difficult with the "not-representing CPF" rule :)

Last edited:

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Simple Google search for "flashlight forum" or variations of a branded flashlights turns up CPF as top choice. CPF is pretty hard to not find.

Greta

Flashaholic
Ok... so I've come up with this design...

businesscard.gif

Now... even though I'm not real keen on getting into the 'shipping' business... I can get a bunch of these printed up and you all can order however many from me and I will send them out to you. Or... anyone have any other ideas?

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok... so I've come up with this design...

businesscard.gif

Now... even though I'm not real keen on getting into the 'shipping' business... I can get a bunch of these printed up and you all can order however many from me and I will send them out to you. Or... anyone have any other ideas?

Very cool. I'm not sure the "and become one too" should have a capital A, as it's the continuation of a sentence.

If you could provide it as a PDF, people could print their own as required.

Greta

Flashaholic
Very cool. I'm not sure the "and become one too" should have a capital A, as it's the continuation of a sentence.

Fixed. I didn't like it either but got distracted and forgot to fix it.

If you could provide it as a PDF, people could print their own as required.

Well... my thought on that is if people wanted to do that, they'd have come up with their own design and been doing it already and this thread wouldn't exist... right? ;) As suggested in this thread, it is incredibly cheap to have them printed up in bulk and then divide them up amongst members in batches of 50 or whatever. Cost would be whatever the actual cost per card is plus a minimal shipping charge for a padded envelope.