Help - Tiger, Magcharger or Ultrastinger?

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking for a rechargeable incan that is easy to use (recharges without removing battery packs). What to get, which is best? I would appreciate all help here from those that own more than one of these. My limited understanding is that the Mag has more runtime than the Tiger, but the Tiger has a bigger hotspot? Posts seem to favor these two over the Ultra. Comments? I'm also interested in bulbs for these lights. Are there any better ones on the market to replace the stock ones?

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's it going to be used for?
Bulb changes? Not for the US, or the TL. A Welch/Allyn (bulb manufacturer) bulb replacement is available for the MC but has its drawbacks.

--dan

turbodog

Flashaholic
I like the magcharger because you can pull the battery and use 3 D cells in a pinch. The "new" design focusing is better than the regular C and D mags also.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i'd go with the tigerlight. amazingly bright, good throw, ha3, small...
i have an ultrastinger, which is nice, but i wish i would have waited for the tigerlight...

phaedrus

Newly Enlightened
I just got a Tigerlight FBOP yesterday and added a UCL from Flashlightlens.com. I am really impressed with the throw and volume of light out of this thing as well as the build quality. It makes my C2 SureFire Centurion with a P61 look pathetic by comparison.......

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
phadreus - where did you get it? There's only one model of Tigerlight without the pepper spray, right?

Dano - I'm going to use it as a walking light. Are you saying not for the US or Tiger because they already have the best bulbs, or because there aren't any others? What would the drawbacks be of replacing the mag one? My bulb knowledge is pretty far behind. I've been in LED land for sooo long!

Roth - What's better about the Tiger? Have you found the runtime of 1 hour limiting?

I see the Tiger has NiMH. Doesn't the Magcharger have Nicad, and what is the operational difference in this application? How did Mag make the focus better? Despite their famous ringy-ness, the focus was always pretty tight, I thought.

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you are going to find it really depends on the person. My advice would be to go somewhere that has all 3 (or 4) and handle them. Personally I sometimes like a light just because of how it feels, even if it is slightly less bright than another or lacks a certain feature. Just my opinion.

-Mike

phaedrus

Newly Enlightened
I got the TigerLight from Tactical Warehouse. There are just two models, one with pepper spray and one without. The FBOP is the one without the pepper. The primary advantage on the NiMH is it does not have a charge level memory the way NICAD does......

turbodog

Flashaholic
Ohhh, watch out for the train wreck. Please let us ALL agree to NOT talk about the words battery and memory in the same context.

As far as ringyness with the mag, the bulb is a bipin design. Possibly that has something to do with the better beam/etc. Also with bipin, you can bend it around to improve the beam.

phaedrus

Newly Enlightened
Ummmm ooops! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif I searched on battery and memory and I see why you're warning about the wreck.....
I humbly withdraw the asertion /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Choose Tigerlight for greatest total output combined with a relatively wide beam, impressive throw and short profile. It is my personal choice for general use.

Choose Magcharger with "brighter" stock bulb for longer burntime, greater throw and self-defense potential. The Magcharger is the longest and heaviest of the three lights. It is my choice when longer burn with stock stick or extra long burn with PowerStream cells is required, along with extreme throw.

Choose UltraStinger for excellent brightness, long throw, light weight and slim body. Despite being longer than the Tigerlight the US feels unusually comfortable in the hand because of its slim design.

Brightnorm

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recommend the Tigerlight. I had an Ultrastinger but I didn't like how long it was, wereas my Tigerlight will fit in my coat pocket and in my back jeans pocket in a pinch. The Tigerlight I have puts out more light and throws farther than the Ultrastinger. I also like the NiMH batteries better. I work with some guys that use the Magcharger so I'll have to compare it to the Tigerlight. From messing with the MC, I didn't notice to be any brighter, and it sure is bigger than the Tigerlight.

FYI,
This was sent to my by Michael from Tigerlight concerning various generations of Tigerlight lamps:

[ QUOTE ]

Officially:

First generation lamps had a wider center spot and some bat wings but 50% of them were very acceptable, very impressive, with smooth transitions and no glaring dark spots. The other 50% had misshaped center spots and more dramatic transitions from dark to light throughout the total beam coverage area.

The next generation had a very bright, more focused and more cylindrical center spot. We would consider those our best to date, although some preferred the first batch because of the brighter flood, assuming they received one of the good ones. We stopped shipping lamp modules from the first batch, except as promotional items, after we received the second batch. When the second batch ran out, we waited to receive the third batch.

In stead of the third batch matching the second generation a we specified, the third batch (not generation) was a cross between the first and second generations with many of the lamps sporting significant aberrations in the beam pattern. The center spot was not as small, cylindrical and hot as the second batch and the flood not as bright as the first batch. The center spot had a sort of "8" shape, similar to the first generation center spot, but smaller. We scrapped most of them.

Sales picked up substantially and we were without lamps that we were happy with. So, we elected to send either the third batch (bad second generation) or the first generation lamp modules out so we could fulfill orders, but with the free replacement letter. We were, of course, sold out of the second generation (the best).

We then received the fourth batch (we'll call these third generation), hoping again that they would mimic the second batch. These are the ones with the lip. They are a big improvement on the third batch but not quite equal to the good second generation (the first batch of the second generation). These third generation (with the lip) have somewhat of a diamond shaped center spot. It's not as hot as the second generation center spot but is larger. We are not where we intend to be yet, but we think what we have it quite phenomenal. I believe all of these lamp modules put out much more light than the lights they are commonly compared to, with the possible exception of the 500L SF. I've seen TigerLights that out throw it. However, it probably puts out more light at 20 minute run time. That's a very apples to oranges comparison, I think. The most important thing from our perspective is that as good as some of our competitors lights may be, none of them, not even the M6, can stop multiple attackers intent on inflicting bodily harm or save lives as the TigerLight® Non-Lethal Defense System has already done. I think the M6 is a cool light, but value wise, it doesn't hold a candle to the TigerLight, in my opinion. Not even close. We are on a mission to continually improve it and pass on those improvements to our customer at

I know one thing for sure. Everybody should have a TigerLight® Non-Lethal Defense System flashlight. I don't care what other lights they have, but no wife or kids should drive the roads without one in the car nor be left at home without one by the bed. That's my "unbiased" opinion /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Have a great day.

Michael

Michael H. Teig
President/C.E.O.
TigerLight, Inc.
473 West 910 South
Heber City, Utah 84032
Phone: 435-657-9529
Fax: 435-657-9686
http://www.tigerlight.net

[/ QUOTE ]

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sean, thanks for that info, that really cleared that whole situation up. And thanks also to Brightnorm and size15s for pushing me in the right direction. Phaedrus, is the UCL you ordered w/LDF? How does it perform, can you tell the difference from the stock lens?

I just bought a Tigerlight FBOP from this_is_nascar on B/S/T and ordered the UCL with LDF to go with it! Can't wait!

phaedrus

Newly Enlightened
I went for the UCL without LDF since I wanted the most light and throw and didn't care about seeing imperfections in the beam. I could see the difference as the beam looks crisper.... I haven't tried to really compare one lens against the other in any scientific way....
By the way be patient with the O-Ring around the lens cap when you put in the UCL. As you thread the cap on just keep pushing the o-ring in with your fingertip and take your time.... If you just twist the cap on quickly you can pinch and damage the ring /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

chr00t

Newly Enlightened
I can get your feet sweep off! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tigerlight FBOP 8" with UCL lens. Usually rough runtime 1 hr and 10 mins. It's a rechargeable flashlight.

tigerlight3.jpg

few picture took. You can check at http://fasty.i-sphere.com/flashlight

full recharged tigerlight battery.

tigerlight1.jpg

phaedrus

Newly Enlightened
My UCL fits just fine in the Tigerlight. The O-Ring routine is something you have to deal with if you have to change the LA as well. It really has nothing to do with the lens itself. The problem is the o-ring is just the slightest bit loose between the head of the light and the screw on cover which holds the lens on and keeps the light assembly in.......

Latest posts