Gerber TX 3AA + XM-L T4

Hill

Enlightened
Picked up a Gerber TX 3.0 3AA host off CPFMP recently. I never heard of this particular model but for $18 (goes for ~ $50 new) I took a chance and was pleasantly surprised. This light is built like a tank, much like my Inova 2AA bolt, but even heavier. Threads are thick and smooth once sufficiently lubricated, and the forward tail clicky requires very little movement to activate the light. Made a custom heatsink by grinding down a copper bushing I had sitting around and used my penny trick to create a nice recessed base for the XM-L. Powered by 3AA eneloops with SB 3-mode 2.8A driver and XPG optics. Huge amount of light which is mostly flood, but not unexpected given the match up between the emitter and optics. Tint is on the warmer side (4000K) – very pleasing to the eye. Have not done any runtime tests, but don't expect it will be too long on full power, nor sustain the 2.8A output.

Specs

• Gerber TX 3AA host
  • Custom copper heatsink
  • XML T4 4000K
  • SB 3-mode 2.8A driver
  • XPG optics
  • Lampfix silicone sleeve