Need 1AA Light Advice

BARBARIAN-X

Newly Enlightened
I've got a LED Lenser P7 and I was wondering if there are any 1AA lights between 3-4 inches with similar specs?

-High luminance 140-200 lm*
-Adjustable luminance
-Adjustable beam focus

Thanks!

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy BARBARIAN-X and welcome to CPF,
Be sure and click on some of those links at the bottom of Norm's post. Lots of great info to help you get started.

The old Jet 1 Pro comes close to your criteria, but it's 4.37 inches long. Here's a link to a used one that is for sale over on the CPF Market Place:
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?252360-Screaming-DEALS-Jetbeam-E3S!-Jet-1-Pro-WARM!-One-and-only-PRICE-DROP

And here is a link to a review of that light:
http://www.cpfreviews.com/JETBeam-Jet-1Pro.php

I'm not endorsing the light or the seller, just trying to give you something to look at while getting started.

Here are 3 more flashlight review sites:
http://www.sliderule.ca/flashlight.htm
http://www.lygte-info.dk/review/Reviews UK.html
http://www.light-reviews.com/reviews.html

And of course my favorite...... a site to learn all about rechargeable batteries:
http://batteryuniversity.com/

Don't be in a hurry. Spend some time browsing CPF and those review sites and pretty soon you'll find just what you're looking for.

Have fun :)!

yliu

Enlightened
The Fenix LD10 or Thrunite 1A would be close to your requirements.

With a 14500 battery you can get similar brightness to the 2xAA Fenix LD20 (180ANSI lumen)
Although you are welcome to try a 14500 in a LedLenser T5:)

Otherwise I can't think of a single AA flashlight, that uses standard batteries (no Li-ion), that can produce 200 lumens.
There aren't a lot of torches that has a focusable system like LedLenser does (Maglite...).

You might want to consider the Led Lenser M1, 170 lumen, focusable, but I heard that it gets hot quickly.

yowzer

Enlightened
Otherwise I can't think of a single AA flashlight, that uses standard batteries (no Li-ion), that can produce 200 lumens.

Zebralight SC51 comes too close to 200 for the naked eye to tell the difference. It's quite a bit smaller than the OP was looking for, though.

There's quite a few choices for an AA light in the given size range with a 140+ max and adjustable output. Adjustable focus, on the other hand... there just aren't that many such beasts outside of Led Lenser's catalog.

Jackasper

Enlightened
The Fenix LD10 or Thrunite 1A would be close to your requirements. Neither use a focusing system.

With a 14500 battery you can get similar brightness to the 2xAA Fenix LD20 (180ANSI lumen)
Although you are welcome to try a 14500 in a LedLenser T5:) Don't do it !

Otherwise I can't think of a single AA flashlight, that uses standard batteries (no Li-ion), that can produce 200 lumens. Zebralight does.
There aren't a lot of torches that has a focusable system like LedLenser does (Maglite...). Romisen makes several...RC-29 to start with.

You might want to consider the Led Lenser M1, 170 lumen, focusable, but I heard that it gets hot quickly.

Last edited:

BARBARIAN-X

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys I'll look into these but from a quick look & I can tell I should have said around 3 inches instead of 3-4 inches. Forget the focusable beam and I am willing to come down on my luminance. I don't want anything with CR123A because I can't buy them locally which is why my Surefire G2 sits in a drawer. Thanks!

- 1x AA
- Approx 3 inches
- 100-140 lm*
- Adjustable luminance

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since you are in law enforcement, do you also need a rear clicky switch with momentary on feature as well? Otherwise the Zebralight SC51 seems to be the most efficient in terms of using AA alkaline batteries but I would advise you to go with Eneloop rechargeable instead. Thrunite 1A is very bright if you run it off a 14500 Li-Ion battery, but it uses a reverse clicky instead of a forward clicky so there is no momentary on feature, and also professional judgement in handling is needed when using Li-Ion batteries.

BARBARIAN-X

Newly Enlightened
Yeah I'm leaning towards the Zebralight SC51 but I would prefer a tailcap switch. Momentary on is nice but it's not a deal breaker.

henry1960

Enlightened
XM-L XENO EO3

Modes and Runtime (Aproximate):

Ni-mh cell:

Low: 20mA, 10 lumens, 20hrs+
Medium: 135mA, 60 lumens, 4hrs+
High: 500mA, 200 lumens, 1hr+

14500 Li-ion:

Low: 300mA, 90 lumens, 2.5hrs
Medium: 1000mA, 320 lumens 45min
High: 1560mA, 490 lumens, 30min

You Can`t Go Wrong With This Light!!!!
Price:$33.00 Shipped :twothumbs

Last edited:

ianq

Newly Enlightened
XM-L XENO EO3

Ni-mh cell:

14500 Li-ion:

I just bought a 4Seven Quark AA for EDC, but this light sounds very promising for work use (Also LE)

I assume someone has done a review on it already....?

SirJohn

Newly Enlightened
The problem with both the Neutron 1A and the Xeno E03 XM-L is that they are very floody. Depending on what the OP wants, this may or may not be a problem. However, using regular AAs, they just don't provide any sort of distance at all. With a 14500, all that power makes up for it. I should also add that a Xeno E03 on nimh is nowhere close to 200 lumens. I'd estimate it at about 140 lumens, which is within the Op's request, but as I said, its so floody, there is just no distance at all to the beam. Here's my review of the light. Both the Neutron and Xeno are much closer to 4" than 3".

To the OP: You have now said you want a 3" light. I don't think there are any 3" AA lights that still use a tailswitch. Most of the ultra short AA lights use a twisty, such as the Quark Mini and the ITP A2.

BARBARIAN-X

Newly Enlightened
XM-L XENO EO3

Ni-mh cell:

14500 Li-ion:

Which LED option should I go with...cool, neutral or warm?

BARBARIAN-X

Newly Enlightened
Ok I ended up ordering a Zebralight SC51. I was going to get a XM-L XENO EO3 too but I have decided not to bother. Thanks for all your help guys! :thumbsup:

BARBARIAN-X

Newly Enlightened
Jetbeam RRT-0 with an AA extender seems pretty bad ***...any other contenders. I should have mentioned that price is not my main concern, performance is! Are there any 1xAA lights that can compete with this one that are no bigger? If not I'll have to order one of these too.

thom1960

Newly Enlightened
Have you tried Google?
Norm

No disrespect but isn't this forum for asking fellow flashlight enthusiasts for help and advise? Telling members to use google seems contrary to this forums purpose. Just my 2 cents.