Clip on MD2?

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
So has anyone figured out how to get a clip on a Malkoff MD2 body? This is the one thing this light is missing to make flashlight nirvana.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah. Sometimes I wished it had a clip since I would like to EDC it in my back pocket when not holster carrying. At least a clip would also provide some kind of anti-roll feature since there isn't one on the host.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wouldn't this work?

Pjandyho,

Which holster do you use? Did you purchase it locally?

Thanks!
Woodentsick

Isn't that clip made only for the older MD2 host only? Not sure if it would work in the new MD2 with tail cap.

As for the holster, it's a Blackhawk nylon holster which I bought from Sheares Marketing. I think it has been discontinued. Could not seem to find the exact model in Blackhawk's website. Mine does not have a flap and rides diagonally at about 45 degree to my belt so drawing the light is fast. It has a Velcro strap around the holster for fastening the light in place but I don't bother to tighten it so I could draw the light fast enough. Not secure though if you do a lot of crawling and proning as the light may fall out.

Last edited:

woodentsick

Enlightened
Isn't that clip made only for the older MD2 host only? Not sure if it would work in the new MD2 with tail cap.

As for the holster, it's a Blackhawk nylon holster which I bought from Sheares Marketing. I think it has been discontinued. Could not seem to find the exact model in Blackhawk's website. Mine does not have a flap and rides diagonally at about 45 degree to my belt so drawing the light is fast. It has a Velcro strap around the holster for fastening the light in place but I don't bother to tighten it so I could draw the light fast enough. Not secure though if you do a lot of crawling and proning as the light may fall out.

Hmmm.. AFAIK it should still work...I think the switch diameter has stayed the same, so I'm guessing it still will fit.

Thanks for the info, I'll check out the holsters next time I go to Sheares!

Woodentsick

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Malkoff clip and shroud would probably work OK, but the newer tail switch is recessed, which might make it hard to reach. I was hoping someone had come up with a ring type clip that would fit under the tailcap.

Nachtwacht

Newly Enlightened
The Malkoff-'pocket clip and tail shroud' in Woodentsick's link also works with the new MD2-tailcaps. I installed one two days ago on one of my MD2's. You just have to boil the clip in water for two to three minutes and push it over the tailcap while it's hot. It's easy to do.

It's correct that because of the tail shroud the switch is recessed even more. On the other hand the shroud prevents it from slipping out of your hand.

nbp

Flashaholic
I've never handled one of the MD2s but if they are the same size as the C2, I found that the moddoo clip for my HDS + an o-ring goes under the tailcap really nicely. A pretty good alternative IMO. Maybe someone can confirm if they fit.

Here's what it looks like on my C2 in post 381.

syncytial

Newly Enlightened
Have a look at a previous thread showing one member's approach to adding a clip to his MD2 here.

I'll try out the Moddoo HDS/Ra clip later tonight. It wouldn't work with the old-style MD2s since there is no tail cap.

<EDIT> OK, I've tried the Moddoo clip. As expected, it installs very easily between the tailcap and the body. It also is very solid - it gets clamped between the two. If you have the new-style tailcap with a McClicky, you can also install the clip on the tailcap, like installing one on a Z59. This makes for a deep-carry clip. Two things to consider for that configuration... you'll need to add a washer of the same thickness as the clip, since the delrin ring clamps the switch in place, and you'll have about two full turns of threading the delrin ring into the tailcap to hold the clip in place. I've also seen a reference that suggests the delrin ring is going away - maybe an aluminium retainer instead, with an idea to securely holding a Malkoff issued clip in place? (Speculation on my part!)

<EDIT 2> There is a picture of the new tailcap without the delrin ring in the "Official Malkoff Junkie" thread. From the picture, and a description elsewhere, there is no external ring - the McClicky threads in place from the inside, so we're back to the add-on delrin ring with clip or other custom (e.g. drill/tap) options for clips.

Note: This was done on an MD4/Hound Dog/Wildcat since I don't have one of the new MD2s with the McClicky. I expect it applies though.

b3hOUzhvb86chWuGxTYdHmStoFtS6Uun1_4L5zrf-HA
Moddoo%252520MD3%252520A19.jpg

Moddoo%252520MD4%252520tailcap%2525202.jpg

- Syncytial.

Last edited:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Syncytial, how does one remove the delrin ring on the tail cap? I tried removing mine but it doesn't bulge.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't even know it came off, so I tried to remove mine. It just unscrews. You have to grip it pretty tight.

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like I need a new MD2 host, I loved my 6P/Z59 set up with the clip installed on the tailcap. If the new MD2 can be done this way too it's the next one I'm getting. Thanks for the pics!

syncytial

Newly Enlightened
The delrin ring just unscrews normally. There was no thread-locker on mine, but it was tight. I used a silicon sheet to aid in grip.

I'm surprised no one has commented on the previous thread that I linked to.

- Syncytial.