Malkoff        

Thread: Clip on MD2?

Default Clip on MD2?

So has anyone figured out how to get a clip on a Malkoff MD2 body? This is the one thing this light is missing to make flashlight nirvana.

Default Re: Clip on MD2?

Yeah. Sometimes I wished it had a clip since I would like to EDC it in my back pocket when not holster carrying. At least a clip would also provide some kind of anti-roll feature since there isn't one on the host.
    The love of light is the reason why I don't walk in darkness. But darkness has it's beauty...Sadly, my lights are much more beautiful!!
    Beam shots Night Trekking with HDS high CRI and McGizmo Haiku & Mule high CRI

Wouldn't this work?

Pjandyho,

Which holster do you use? Did you purchase it locally?

Thanks!
    Woodentsick
    Remember that life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, covered in scars, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ‘YAHOO! What a ride!' -- Bear Grylls My Lights

Quote Originally Posted by woodentsick View Post
    Wouldn't this work?

Pjandyho,

Which holster do you use? Did you purchase it locally?

Thanks!
    Woodentsick
    Isn't that clip made only for the older MD2 host only? Not sure if it would work in the new MD2 with tail cap.

As for the holster, it's a Blackhawk nylon holster which I bought from Sheares Marketing. I think it has been discontinued. Could not seem to find the exact model in Blackhawk's website. Mine does not have a flap and rides diagonally at about 45 degree to my belt so drawing the light is fast. It has a Velcro strap around the holster for fastening the light in place but I don't bother to tighten it so I could draw the light fast enough. Not secure though if you do a lot of crawling and proning as the light may fall out.
    Last edited by pjandyho; 05-29-2011 at 09:56 AM.
    The love of light is the reason why I don't walk in darkness. But darkness has it's beauty...Sadly, my lights are much more beautiful!!

Quote Originally Posted by pjandyho View Post
    Isn't that clip made only for the older MD2 host only? Not sure if it would work in the new MD2 with tail cap.

As for the holster, it's a Blackhawk nylon holster which I bought from Sheares Marketing. I think it has been discontinued. Could not seem to find the exact model in Blackhawk's website. Mine does not have a flap and rides diagonally at about 45 degree to my belt so drawing the light is fast. It has a Velcro strap around the holster for fastening the light in place but I don't bother to tighten it so I could draw the light fast enough. Not secure though if you do a lot of crawling and proning as the light may fall out.
    Hmmm.. AFAIK it should still work...I think the switch diameter has stayed the same, so I'm guessing it still will fit.

Thanks for the info, I'll check out the holsters next time I go to Sheares!

Woodentsick
    Remember that life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, covered in scars, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ‘YAHOO! What a ride!' -- Bear Grylls My Lights

The Malkoff clip and shroud would probably work OK, but the newer tail switch is recessed, which might make it hard to reach. I was hoping someone had come up with a ring type clip that would fit under the tailcap.

Enlightened

The Malkoff-'pocket clip and tail shroud' in Woodentsick's link also works with the new MD2-tailcaps. I installed one two days ago on one of my MD2's. You just have to boil the clip in water for two to three minutes and push it over the tailcap while it's hot. It's easy to do.

It's correct that because of the tail shroud the switch is recessed even more. On the other hand the shroud prevents it from slipping out of your hand.

I've never handled one of the MD2s but if they are the same size as the C2, I found that the moddoo clip for my HDS + an o-ring goes under the tailcap really nicely. A pretty good alternative IMO. Maybe someone can confirm if they fit.

Here's what it looks like on my C2 in post 381.

Have a look at a previous thread showing one member's approach to adding a clip to his MD2 here.

I'll try out the Moddoo HDS/Ra clip later tonight. It wouldn't work with the old-style MD2s since there is no tail cap.

<EDIT> OK, I've tried the Moddoo clip. As expected, it installs very easily between the tailcap and the body. It also is very solid - it gets clamped between the two. If you have the new-style tailcap with a McClicky, you can also install the clip on the tailcap, like installing one on a Z59. This makes for a deep-carry clip. Two things to consider for that configuration... you'll need to add a washer of the same thickness as the clip, since the delrin ring clamps the switch in place, and you'll have about two full turns of threading the delrin ring into the tailcap to hold the clip in place. I've also seen a reference that suggests the delrin ring is going away - maybe an aluminium retainer instead, with an idea to securely holding a Malkoff issued clip in place? (Speculation on my part!)

<EDIT 2> There is a picture of the new tailcap without the delrin ring in the "Official Malkoff Junkie" thread. From the picture, and a description elsewhere, there is no external ring - the McClicky threads in place from the inside, so we're back to the add-on delrin ring with clip or other custom (e.g. drill/tap) options for clips.

Note: This was done on an MD4/Hound Dog/Wildcat since I don't have one of the new MD2s with the McClicky. I expect it applies though.

- Syncytial.
    Last edited by syncytial; 06-16-2011 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Edit 2 - update re: new tailcap design

Interesting idea. Thanks.

Syncytial, how does one remove the delrin ring on the tail cap? I tried removing mine but it doesn't bulge.

I didn't even know it came off, so I tried to remove mine. It just unscrews. You have to grip it pretty tight.

Looks like I need a new MD2 host, I loved my 6P/Z59 set up with the clip installed on the tailcap. If the new MD2 can be done this way too it's the next one I'm getting. Thanks for the pics!

Hmm, looks like I may need to order a couple clips!

The delrin ring just unscrews normally. There was no thread-locker on mine, but it was tight. I used a silicon sheet to aid in grip.

I'm surprised no one has commented on the previous thread that I linked to.

- Syncytial.