What's the best way to take apart a Novatac Storm?

dmz

Enlightened
What's the best way to take apart a Novatac Storm? I want to dissassemble all the pieces and send them out to be coated. What are the best tools to use for dissassembly?

dmz

Enlightened
Can you take apart a Novatac Storm with snap ring pliers instead of using a pair of hemostats?

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a co-worker who's son typically uses a hammer to take anything apart. He's moving to Beijing for 3 years, planning on living "downtown" (okay that is a big area) so I presum he will have less tools and his son will have to find another tool....

Flucero28

Enlightened
The sole of my shoe for the bezel, and snap ring pliers for the retaining rings!

midget

Enlightened
howdy.

i've taken apart a novatac 120P, as was mentioned in a previous post.

here's how i did it.

take apart the head, battery compartment, and tailcap. you'll have three pieces. the trick is to remove the retaining ring on the inside of the head without damaging too much. if you look inside, against the threaded edges, you will see a ring with two notches opposing each other along the diameter of the ring. you can use hemostats to remove them. a pair of needlenose pliers may work as well. or a pair of calipers. or you can fashion a spanner to get the job done. i've once used a fork, which i cut/bent to accommodate, as a spanner. just some ideas.

once you unscrew the retaining ring, which is probably the trickiest part, the pill will fall out (it's red). then take off the bezel and let the lens drop out, and you'll have your novatac in pieces. makes sense?

if you really need help PM me. i'll give you my phone number and you can call me and i'll walk you through. if it comes to desperate times, you can mail it to me and i'll disassemble it for you no problems.

best of luck.

kevinm

Enlightened
I have opened a Classic, 120P, and 120T. The method depends on how much glue they used on yours. Here's the plan for the worst case.

1. Remove the bezel with the handle of a pair of pliers and a good rubberized glove.
2. Pull out the lens, reflector, and o-ring.
3. Put the head in a ziploc bag and boil for 5 minutes.
4. Pull the light out of the boiling water and put in the freezer. Leave there for 30 minutes.
5. Try to unscrew the retaining ring inside the head with retaining ring pliers. It matters; get good ones.
6. If you fail at 5, go back to 3 and try again.

I have had to do this 3 times for one of the lights. Good luck!

Kevin

dmz

Enlightened
Thank you for all the great advice on dissassembly.

How do you take apart the tail area? I would like to remove the clicky switch. I want to dissassemble all the pieces and send them out to be coated.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Coat the innards of a tailcap? :eek:oo: I'm lost now, why in the tailcap?
My storm has very little in the tailcap, the flush switch is quite compact, my guess would be a metal pick and unscrew the washer? I'd leave the tailcap alone if you can.

Last edited:

dmz

Enlightened
No, I'm going to send out the tailcap along with all the other dissassembled parts to have the exterior chemkoted.

Is it just a large washer holding the clicky switch in place? I have not purchased the Novatac Storm yet.

midget

Enlightened
i checked out my novatac and it looks like another retaining ring (just like what's in the head) that's holding things together in there. i didn't take it apart, and have no experience taking apart the tailcaps, so don't take my word for it. but from what it looks like, it should be pretty simple. remove the retaining ring with hemostats or pliers and i bet it'll come apart.

dmz

Enlightened
Has anyone had their flashlight sandblasted and coated with Cerakote?

What is the best led upgrade for a Novatac Storm?

midget

Enlightened
i just upgraded mine with a LUXEON K2 TFFC COOL WHITE 180L luxeon k2 tffc cool white LED. 180 lumens is what it's rated at, and i believe it. it worked, was an easy mod, and is reliable. the only thing i thought was tricky was trimming down the square base of the LED to fit the round base in the pill.

dmz

Enlightened
Can someone recommend a led emitter in the 200LM to 250LM range?

kevinm

Enlightened
The XM-L and XP-G will both give you that output (at least). The thing in the tailcap is another retaining ring. You get it out the same way you get the one in the head out.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh Cerakoting the exterior, well your probably better of taping off the innards, lens and tailcap. Rather than gutting it, If they spray inside you'll need to clean all those threads ?

Last edited:

dmz

Enlightened
Can someone provide links to an affordable XM-L or XP-G led emitter?

Latest posts