Did your Flashlight save you from a dangerous situation?

anylau

Newly Enlightened
I did~ kinda...

i never actually know it's that effective....

It goes like this... on a dark Saturday night 1150pm... i ask my little sister to join me on the beach walk so i could have some play of my newly bought fenix tk21u2 and to compare the light run time of the led lenser p7 with the m7...
Then we saw a dead sea otter... it was killed by the dogs near by... so as we walk to investigate... one of the dog run back and started to bark... As usual.. i tot it's going to continue to bark.. and not going to harm us... but this time... it keep on coming near us... (i know i could not run cos it will just provoke them) and its a sandy beach.... movement its not at the most optimum here... my sister was afraid.. i need to protect her and need to do something fast... there was no stick or anything around... So it came to my mine... MY LIGHTS!! I turn on to turbo mode... all 468lumens and shine to the "ferocious man eating dog: :p but this did not even do anything to it.. and the worsting.. another "monstrousness" :p dog join in... i try use all the lights i have and shinning at them... but nothing... they r still coming at us... finally i remember the defense of a strobe light... i just give it a try... a quick switch on at the fenix tk21 strobe and two tab for the M7 strobe mode... AMAZINGLY.... both of the dog stop barking... and stop moving forward... we took this opportunity.. slowly back off to a safe distances...

so this is my story... i never really knew the effectiveness of the strobe mode... now i "see"...

so.. do u have any encounter where ur flashlight do help u in someway?

Last edited:

Burgess

Flashaholic
Re: Do you have your Flashlight safe u from some dangerous situation?

Glad this story had a happy ending, for you & your sister !

:twothumbs

BTW -- where did this event take place ? ? ?

anylau

Newly Enlightened

On a beach at penang malaysia... kinda between a fishing village and a 4 star hotel beach resort.... :)

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very interesting. I've read several stories where people tried shining a light at an agressive dog with mixed results; most dogs did not really care and some dogs stopped, but none of these guys had used a strobe or more than half that many lumens.

Lumenocitor

Newly Enlightened
I can attest to the effectiveness of a high output light in strobe mode. A while back I was showing my wife how to operate her new light (quark AA tactical running a 14500). I told her that the strobe mode could be used defensively, she was skeptical as usual. A friend of mine happened to be over, so we put on a demonstration for her. We went to the back yard and I instructed my friend to come at me like he was going to attack me. I turned on the light in strobe mode and he was immediately disoriented. We switched roles and I can say myself that it is indeed rather mind numbing. While a light alone may not be the perfect defense, it can certainly be enough to buy you a few seconds to escape.

Tazzdad

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info. I've been trying to think of something to carry since my dog was "charged" by a much larger dog a while ago. I was concerned about the legal implications of pepper spray, maybe a strobe would work, at least at night.

Napalm

Enlightened

Very interesting. I've read several stories where people tried shining a light at an agressive dog with mixed results; most dogs did not really care and some dogs stopped, but none of these guys had used a strobe or more than half that many lumens.

Their effectiveness increases dramatically when attached to a Mossberg Persuader.

Nap. :devil:

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Long story short: About 40 years ago I was on a tug boat that lost all power one night in the freezing water of the Gulf of Alaska. We were also towing a barge that was slowly sinking. Amazingly, I possessed the only working flashlight. I gave it to the engineer who finally managed to get the generator up, and then the mains. He even fixed the barge's bilge pump that night with the same light.

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would be cautious about relying on a flashlight to shoo away dogs. Dog owners should really watch Ceasar Millan and digest the basic principles he teaches. Dogs are not people. talking to them and coaxing them with a conversation really doesnt do a whole lot. Especially if you are disciplining a dog. Dogs really react to, what Cesar calls, Energy.

Short simple commands. shoo, shhh, a finger snap and pointing help project your intentions so much more than talking "Go away" "get out of here" doesnt mean anything to a dog.

Your feelings, like a jedi, will aid or betray you with a dog. Dogs are incredibly sensitive to the way other dogs feel or act and to people. If you notice, dogs dont really communicate vocally. it is body posture and right behind it, energy.

Calm and Assertive. Being calm and assertive wins every time. It sounds simple but far from it. Usually I associate assertiveness with anger or raised levels of excitement. But trying to be calm and assertive takes a little awareness and practice. Also repetition. you need to be consistent and persistent. It helps to stand up straight, dont be tense and stick your chest out.

Pack Leader. as a responsible dog owner you should be a pack leader for your dog. If another dog comes in barking and seems threatening likely it is nervous, neurotic or is aggressive and feeding on weaker energy. If you stand your ground and step in front of your dog, like you are protecting the dog as a leader and calmly assert yourself the other dog will respond.

I hope these may help some of you. Remember, it is a dog. You are a human. You are in control. Think of it as you are mine. You do as I say cause im in charge. think that in your head. Like bossing a kid. No need to have a conversation about it. You are the parent they are the child. You know what is best. Dont argue about it. Best thing is dogs wont argue back like kids might. You tell them who's the boss, and if you do it right they respond very quickly.

curtispdx

Enlightened
Well said. I deal with dogs all the time at work and those tips are right on the money.

By the way, those tips often work on people too. ;-)

Last edited:

Mdinana

Enlightened
Thanks for the info. I've been trying to think of something to carry since my dog was "charged" by a much larger dog a while ago. I was concerned about the legal implications of pepper spray, maybe a strobe would work, at least at night.
I have never heard of a dog pressing charges after being mace'd... :)

GPS Rider

Newly Enlightened
Agree with 007 and Curtis, the best posture to take with an aggressive dog is the "bring it on, baby!" Square up, make yourself huge, and show him you are ready for all he's got and more. I've found this works for most dogs that aren't trained (or bred) to attack. They almost always back down and retreat.

But you were right to be alarmed. Dogs can be very dangerous. Even if you win the fight, you'll likely have some nasty wounds that need professional care.