Looking for LED flashlight with very long battery life, using C or D cells

aab

Newly Enlightened
I posted about a coleman LED flashlight that was perfect other than the fact that the switch started working really bad after a few weeks.

I asked about other AAA/AA flashlights, but I'm realizing I use my flashlight enough that I'd like longer battery life, I need to charge my 3 AAA coleman batteries every 1-2 months, I'd like one that uses C or D batteries so I have to charge only 1-2 times a year but that's still not too big, so ideally C batteries, or even something that uses lots (such as 6 or 8) of AAs to get longer life.

I also like the style to be very plain and cylindrical much like the coleman I have, if I could design my own flashlight it would have been exactly like this, which is why it sucks so much that it doesn't actually work (all reviews complain of the same problem):

31aURFcXDRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Thanks

aab

Newly Enlightened
Hmm looks like the new coleman models are the same without the flimsy rotary switch. I might give them a try as it was an awesome flashlight other than the switch. They even have a model that runs on 2D for $15 on ebay, is there any reason I shouldn't get it? It uses a normal switch so it won't have a switch problem, though it's "only" as bright as my 3 AAA model (60 lumens), it's still very bright but I was hoping for a bit more in a bigger flashlight.

thumb2.php

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
How many lumens are you really wanting? If you focus on that first then you can decide what battery solution and runtime to match your expectations. I personally like the 2AA format myself even though the runtime is a lot less than 2C or 2D I have chargers and LSD nimh AAs already while LSD C and D cells and a charger would add up a lot in cost.

aab

Newly Enlightened
Well let's say the 60 lumens of my Coleman is the minimum I would want, so I'm happy with 60 but more would be good, especially with an option for a lower lumen output for longer life, but I am looking for a low cost ($30 or less) flashlight.

Actually, looking at my coleman, I think I prefer to stay with the smaller format, and noticed they have new versions of the one I have without the rotary switch (which only served to change to the red or blue LEDs, but you need to position it *JUST* right for the white LED to work, and often within seconds it reverts to off or being very dim or flickering). I might get one of those new revised ones.

regulation

Newly Enlightened
".......or even something that uses lots (such as 6 or 8) of AAs to get longer life."

Fenix tk41, the exact one you are looking for.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Do you want/need the colored LEDs? 60 lumens these days is nothing special. the newer 2AA magLED does that easily with 2 modes. I recomend the 2AA format at least as it gives you a decent size with more runtime than 3AAA and not having to deal with reloading battery holders.

aab

Newly Enlightened
The Fenix tk41 is way out of my price range but looks impressive.

I don't need the colored leds at all, that model just happened to have them, in fact I wish it didn't have them as it's the button to choose which led works that is faulty.

I'll look at the magLED, are there any other choices?

BTW are there any LSD D batteries? If not then I'm definitely forgetting about a D model, but already LED allows really great runtimes even from AAAs, and I still only need to charge my AAAs every several months, so it's rather silly to want even more run time, but I'm used to my AAA/AAs lasting about a year in most devices so 1-2 months seems rather short.

aab

Newly Enlightened
Wait a minute, do the maglites still turn on by twisting the head? If so that means no one handed pickup & turn on like with my Coleman.

I prefer the power button on the flashlight's rear end (opposite to the bulb end) so I can pick it up and press the button at the same time.

Lamont

Newly Enlightened
You might try the Duracell Daylite 2-C. I purchased one a couple of months ago and really like it. It is very bright and I haven't had to change the batteries yet. It seems really well built and has a lifetime guarantee.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want something that will truly light up anything you need it too..the 255 Lumen D cell Tk50 offering from Fenix seems right up your allley.

its also cheaper than the Tk41.

here are some LSD D Batteries

and you really dont want a 2 D cell light with a rear switch. It'll be really awkward to hold. May I suggest if you want a rear swith, get a smaller light, such as a quark or something.:)

lights use up quite a bit of power, so depending on how you use them, dont be surprised if you need to charge the batteries regularly anyway.

Crenshaw

Last edited:

aab

Newly Enlightened
That Duracell 2 C looks fantastic and small enough that it's still sort of pocket size, plus I love the duracell brand.

Are there any LSD C cells? If not that kind of eliminates it as an option.

Wow they even have the Duracell in 2 AA format, I think one of those 2 will be the winner.

Edit: Where is the power button on the 2 C / 2 AA Duracell? They also have a 4 AA, does anyone know where the power button is on that one?

Thanks

Last edited:

aab

Newly Enlightened
Seems like the Duracells, other than 3 AAA model, are regulated, that's another big plus. Does anyone know if the new coleman 2 AA is regulated?

I don't think mine is as it gets dimmer after a few months without charging. Does a regulated one die suddenly from 100% power to off? I would prefer that as it makes it more than obvious when the batteries are dead, but you don't get a warning it's about to quit do you?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
The Fenix tk41 is way out of my price range but looks impressive.

I don't need the colored leds at all, that model just happened to have them, in fact I wish it didn't have them as it's the button to choose which led works that is faulty.

I'll look at the magLED, are there any other choices?

BTW are there any LSD D batteries? If not then I'm definitely forgetting about a D model, but already LED allows really great runtimes even from AAAs, and I still only need to charge my AAAs every several months, so it's rather silly to want even more run time, but I'm used to my AAA/AAs lasting about a year in most devices so 1-2 months seems rather short.

They make LSD D cells, the good ones cost about $10-12 each plus shipping online. I am not sure why it bothers you so much to charge batteries every few months if you are using the light often going 2 months without replacing/recharging batteries is not that bad. If I am using a light often I have to recharge it every month or so but since the batteries are paid for in advance I just smile and think of the money I save and use it as often as I want to. I quit using my 3AAA lights when I got decent AA lights as changing the batteries was more annoying than changing the batteries in AA lights that don't have battery holders.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the Duracell Daylite is a pretty decent option if you don't want/need multiple levels. It's built like a tank considering the price and is brighter than the 2D Mag LED... probably not quite the same runtime though.

Would just ordering a set of 4 good NiMH cells and a decent charger be an option?

aab

Newly Enlightened
I think the Duracell Daylite is a pretty decent option if you don't want/need multiple levels. It's built like a tank considering the price and is brighter than the 2D Mag LED... probably not quite the same runtime though.

Would just ordering a set of 4 good NiMH cells and a decent charger be an option?

I have lots of AAA/AA NiMH Duracell Precharged batteries as well as low cost "Powercells" from eBay for high drain devices where LSDs have no benefits. It's the C/D cells I don't have, other than the fraudulent fake energizer D batteries that are really an AA in a plastic shell at 4 times the price (I knew they were a fraud when buying them but it was the only rechargeable option, and still nowhere near as stupid as buying non rechargeables).

So far the Duracell seems like the top choice though it's not cylindrical all the way like I like but that's no deal breaker (actually it would have been awesome for Duracell to use the same Coleman cylinder shape as the flashlights would look like big AA batteries!). I will check the new Colemans also also since they removed the faulty switch and have new models.

aab

Newly Enlightened
I've read about a Coleman Max 6 AA on this site but can't seem to find anything about it. Does anyone know where I can see this model? It sounds perfect.

Edit: Found it, it's not cylindrical as I hoped, I'll look at other Coleman Max's, it looks like there's a 115 lumen version of mine without the faulty switch, that would be perfect, but does double the lumen mean half the run time (it's also 3 AAA)?

I actually like the 3AAA format even though it means you're left with one useless rechargeable (I know I should cycle them) and the extra trouble to replace them.

Last edited:

yliu

Enlightened
A 6D Maglite with the 50 lumen TerraLux replacement bulb will give you some serious runtimes.

The Fenix TK50 is also has great runtimes.

aab

Newly Enlightened
A 6D Maglite with the 50 lumen TerraLux replacement bulb will give you some serious runtimes.

The Fenix TK50 is also has great runtimes.

I really don't like Maglites, I hate their on/off switch that requires unscrewing for 15 minutes until it turns on/off which also means losing your beam setting each time, their ugly/weird shaped uneven spot, etc.

Maybe the new ones are better but I really didn't like the maglites I used to have compared to my Coleman LED, even though it's switch never works, I still prefer it to a reliable but mediocre and relatively dim Maglite (I had a 3 or 4 D non LED model).

Anyway I think I prefer to stick with a smaller AAA/AA model.

Last edited:

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix LD20, Quark AA2, Thrunite Nuetron2A, and Eagletac p20a2 are all great 2 AA lights. They have low modes for even longer runtimes and are very well built