Rayovac roughneck

sand1303

Newly Enlightened
I was at ace hardware the other day and I saw a Rayovac roughneck. It is a small 3aaa light and it has a tailcap switch. Three settings, high low and strobe. Package said 200 lumens and cree led. Anybody have one of these. It was 25 bucks and I'm thinking about picking one up.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't really like the 3xAAA lights from any manufacturer, but yeah... I saw one of those last week and it looked like a solid light. I've had a few of the older Roughnecks and they all run like tops.

sand1303

Newly Enlightened
I don't really like the 3xAAA lights

U are like most. I have a couple. I really don't mind them. One of mine I got online came with a sleeve allowing an 18650 battery. The other 3aaa light I have is a maglite xl100 and I can't do that with. Any idea if it would be possible with this one. I have many harbor freight lights but they don't count.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think an 18500 is what most folks use to replace a 3xAAA carrier. No idea if it's safe in any given light, but I've used them in a couple lights. Something that cost $25... I'd probably charge the 18500 and let it rest for a day before popping it in the light and I'd hope for the best. My guess is it will be OK but DEFINITELY don't take my word for it.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a good price for the Rayovac Roughneck. It's a well made budget light, its good bang for your buck. Much nicer than the Costco techlites

LioNiNoiL

Newly Enlightened
Re: Rayovac Roughneck

I bought a Rayovac Roughneck RNR2D last year for my evening trail-walk, it had a rubber-cushioned headpiece and tailpiece, seemed sturdy, and had good output and beam. Getting out of my car one night, I dropped it on its tailpiece, cracking the plastic and rendering it inoperative. I removed the (useless) rubber cushion, and duct-taped the tailpiece parts together, restoring its operation for a few weeks, but it eventually fell apart under very light (twice per week) use.
I replaced it with an Energizer Industrial 2D LED (IN2DLEDM) with not as good (but adequate) output and beam, and eventually dropped it by accident exactly as I had done with the Roughneck, stepping out of the same car, in the same parking lot. No damage, no diminution of light output, no nothing.
My one-sample conclusion is that the Roughneck is not "rough" at all, and the Energizer is much better for the purpose.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Rayovac Roughneck

:welcome:

First post, after ten years! I hope it is not too late to say Welcome to CPF!

If it is worth being the subject of one post every ten years, I'm gonna have to check out the Rayovac Roughneck RNR2D! :)