IS There a replacement of the Fenix PD20 R5 coming soon?

anylau

Newly Enlightened
I'm planning to get this Fenix PD20 R5... but i wan to know is this light going to replace or newer version coming out soon?

and when this PD 20 R5 was release in the market...

thank you in advance...

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
The PD20 R5 came out some time last year (don't know what month though.) I don't think there is anything within the next few months that will replace this light because none of the manufacturers have announced a new LED that can replace it. Fenix (as far as I know) does not have any plans of putting the larger XM-L LED in it because it would turn the light into a total flood light (a larger head is required to focus this large LED.) The smaller R5 LED gives this sized light a good balance between throw & flood, and fenix (along with other manufactures like 4sevens) want these type of lights to maintain good balance between flood & throw.

I was excited when companies came out with small lights with the XM-L LED's in them. I bought a Thrunite 2A just to try one out. It has roughly the same sized head as the PD20, but with the larger XM-L in it, the light was almost a pure flood light. I didn't like it. Others love the floody little light, but I just didn't (YMMV.) I think this is why you won't see companies like Fenix or 4sevens use the XM-L in many of their small lights (maybe a few lights, but not a whole line of their lights.)

Last edited:

anylau

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the info!!! ya, even my fenix tk21 xml U2 also have strong flood....

going to wait for my online to to open later... and then it shall be mine!!! hahaha

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the R5 came out late last year, later than september I believe. It is a really nice small work light to me and the only thing I can see that could really improve is if Fenix updated the driver so using RCR's wouldn't override the driver and go for direct drive.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
The PD20 is pretty new. I don't know but I would think it will be around for a while yet.

anylau

Newly Enlightened
HI ALL... yesterday i proceed to order the PD20 r5!!! which is this unit...

2011119172529201.jpg

but then.. at night i was looking at youtube and only to notice THIS UNIT?!!!!

2008912101646462.jpg

oh man.... did i get the wrong unit??? 2 pd20!! >.<
expert out there... which one would u get?? :(

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've owned a Pd30 r5 and still own a PD10 titan.
The r5 will probably come with a smooth reflector, which may give a bit of a donut hole in the beam (only noticeable on white walls) looks like a great cr123 light. If they come out with an orangepeel reflector I'd buy one in a heartbeat

The pick at the bottom says Q5, which means an OP reflector :thumbsup:

Last edited:

stoli67

Enlightened
The bottom one is the earlier model.... Q5 LED..... I prefer it and I have both .....

The top one is the newer one..... the white diffuser tip does not fit this model.

anylau

Newly Enlightened
the earlier one kinda look more nicer to me also.... but give and take... the newer one looks a little bit like 4seven mini series... alittle... :p

do the R5 have OP reflectors?

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Q5 should have a nicer tint (more neutral), but the R5 will have a bigger hotspot.

Cerpentry Hero, isn't the Q5 rated at 180 lumens as well?

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, 180 lumens

When the Q5 came out it was 180 lumens OTF (Out The Front.) The new R5 edition is a 180 ANSI Lumens (more strict,) so maybe the R5 is slightly brighter. I have the LD20 Q5 and the LD20 R5. Same thing happened with these. The Q5 is 180 OTF lumens and the R5 is 180 ANSI lumens. To tell you the truth though, I really can't tell much of a difference. The Q5 has an OP reflector, so it has a smoother beam. But I like them both about the same.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the original PD style as well I have no idea why they decided to make it bland like every other light. Marketing mistake if you ask me. Since I don't like black lights any more that's two strikes against them.

anylau

Newly Enlightened
I gotten my PD20 R5 already!!! love it... i still am looking at the size and be amaze... i miss this cooler white colour... as my tk21u2 are more to the natural to yellowish light...

PD20 R5... will be my edc for a long long long time... gonna get 24 pack surefire cr123 soon...

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love mine too; It's just the perfect size. I EDC my PD20 along with a quark 123 as a backup and because I actually need the low low for work, but the PD20 just has a nicer beam for penetration.

Just so you know, you CAN use RCR123's in your PD20, but you'll loose the lower modes (goes into direct drive), and it warms up pretty fast.