Lummi WEE vs Lummi RAW vs McGizmo Sapphire - newbie looking for a miniature light ;)

kubus_pl

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone!
Im Jakub and im newbie here, so do I in flashlight subjects.
Im looking for a miniature but powerful flashlight and ive got about 120$ to spend on it. Ive ridden here most of the review/overview/tests/beamshots etc topics about miniature flashlights like: Drake, Draco, Raw, Wee, Sapphire, Arc-aaa, Aeon, MJP Ext. Micro, EZ Cr123, Nano etc
Ive decided to consider only three of them: McGizmo Sapphire, Lummi Wee and Raw.
Im going to use original Lummi batteries and nano charger to power Lummi's or Eneloop AAA batteries and good quality charger to power Sapphire, no worries ;)

Well, so far I like Raw the most, especially the 100/20 option(100 lum. would be very good for a overnight walks when Im going back home after parties and 20 lumens e.g. to look for something under the furniture or under the car seats). But 25 lumens/1,5hr worktime coming from Wee arent that bad for aims like above, especially when you get so powerful light from such a small package.

Does anybody knows how much lumens/work-time got McGizmo Sapphire 25 or the previous model?(yep, ive tried to search for it here but without any results).

So, finally, Im looking for a miniature(smaller = better) efficent flashlight with enough power for overnight walks(dark city parks, sometimes forest or dark places in "city jungle" when Im going back home after parties and sometimes to look for something under the furniture/bed or under the car seats etc
The size is important because im going to carry that in jeans/slacks/suit pockets(Im half of the time wearing a suit so I dont want the light to be visible in internal pocket of my suit - I like when others cant recognize that Im carrying things like flashlight, knife(crk mnandi), lighter(dunhill gatsby), ballpoint pens in my suit pockets - the feeling that my suit pockets are empty.

Which one would YOU pick and why?

Thanks for help in advance :devil:

Last edited:

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might want to have a look in the Lummi sub forum, and cheers and jeers section of the marketplace.
Quite a few people have had extended wait times, or not received their Lummi lights at all.

You may be able to find a second hand one in Custom and modified BST or over on the marketplace.

I can reccomend the Muyshondt Aeon, mine arrived recently, and it is well made, the 2 levels are well spaced, and the runtime is supposed to be excellent (haven't had it long enough to form an opinion on runtime yet, although it supposed to be 40hrs/15 lumens and 90 mins/100ish lumens)
It's also very small and light, the aluminum version would be lighter than the TI one I have.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why not look at the stainless steel Preon ReVO by 4Sevens? I have one and it is fantastic. It has 3 output levels and seems to cover most general use. When loaded with an Energizer AA lithium battery, it seems to last for ages. It is definitely a very well built light. The advantage of stainless steel over titanium is that it has better heat sinking properties and is a lot tougher so things like scratches won't appear anytime soon when carried in your pocket with all the coins and keys. Stainless steel is heavier than titanium but at such small size the extra weight is negligible.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been running for a while a pair of ThruNite Tikey titanium lights on 10180 li-ion cells with good results. Since this light uses 3 x LR44 batteries the voltage of the 10180 is not too high.

Have a look at Tikey, it's not very powerful but definitely very compact.

BTW Kubus_pl: :welcome:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
You've chosen three disparately different lights to choose between and their inclusion in the same list would be more logical if it was a list of lights you expected to complement each other. Of the lights listed by either yourself or other posters in this thread, the Drake, Draco & Wee alone can be grouped together as super tiny lights, although the Wee has only one level of 25, 50 or 100 lumens and is not really available since the maker/seller has been taking money from customers and not delivering product. The Drake and Draco offer three levels of light ranging all the way up to 100/160 lumens respectively, but are both out of production and seldom available.

Given your desire for a light that is undetectable, a single AAA light makes the most sense and your Sapphire, Arc-AAA, MJP Extreme, along with the also mentioned, and highly recommended SS ReVo would all fit into the same size group, although the first two are very easy to use single level only lights, the third one is a very difficult to master programmable wonder from a few years back, while the ReVo stands alone as an easily understood UI that offers a wonderfully usable beam pattern, and particularly with the neutral, beautiful tint, in a robust and addictive package that attaches to anything easily and can also tailstand.

Next up you would have the Aeon, Raw, EZ-123, and since you've mentioned the Aeon, the EZ-CR2 belongs in this list as well, as the CR2 lights, although barely measurable, will be incrementally slimmer than the CR123 lights. All of the lights in this grouping a two level only lights, and that would be up to you to determine if that's enough levels for you. It's not for me, but I do have a pile of NiteCore EZ-series lights and they are very addictive.

The single most useful and undetectable light, with the best combination of widest range of output, most reasonable price, easiest access to purchase, nicest beam pattern and virtually universally loved on CPF has to be the neutral tint SS Preon ReVo.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed. I have two neutral white SS ReVO. One for EDC carry, one for spare just in case. I have another with a cool white XP-E R2 which was made before the XP-G neutral white and S2 edition were even available. The XP-E throws slightly better but the XP-G gives out more light overall and is more floody making close range use a real breeze.

apurva

Newly Enlightened
Hi Jakub,

I have had the same quest as you, to find a tiny light and have been seduced by the lummis and drakes out there. However for starters I would recommend getting a light that's in production. I have bought the preon revo ss, preon2, the ITP EOS A1 and the Zebralight SC31. Of these the smallest in volume would be the revo and the shortest would be the ITP. The Zebralight however is my favorite. It has the best beam of all, the UI is amazing and the side mounted clicky is ergonomic. It might look bulky in the pictures but check out some videos to figure out how tiny it is! I recommend taking a look at the ZL SC31 or the SC51 if AAs work better for u

You said that you want to use the high mode for walks, but let me warn you, in all tiny lights the high mode drains the small batteries rather quickly. You would be lucky to get an hour on hi out of any small battery in the lights I mentioned. (I haven't tried energizer lithiums in my preons though) so IMO you would be happier with a light that has 3 levels and use the medium for walks and the hi to impress your friends :D

hazna

Enlightened
As mentioned previously, you have picked lights in very different categories.

Not too sure what the current mcgizmo sapphire offering is, but I believe it used to use a 5mm LED. I would assume the output to be around ~10 lumens, but should give you quite a long runtime. ~10 lumens might be less bright that what you want. Lummi wee and raw are hard to get your hands on at the moment. If I were getting a lummi wee, I would get one of the brighter ones and throw in a QTC pad to vary the brightness.

When I look at what you are after some of your needs conflict slightly. It sounds like you want something that can be very bright, gives a reasonable runtime and small as possible.

If you want something small as possible, you will generally sacrifice either runtime or brightness. Things like the drake and lummi wee, if run at the brightest mode/light-engine, will only giver you ~15minutes. If you run it around ~20 lumens you'll probably get around 1-2 hours out of it. If this is an acceptable brightness/runtime ratio for you... maybe you could look at getting a peak eiger 10180 at the appropriate level? These seems to be only 10180 flashlight in production at the moment.

If you want something that gives a reasonable runtime when very bright (70 lumens plus), look into some of the AAA or Cr2 flashlights. Some good examples have already been mentioned. AAA will be longer but slimmer. CR2 will be shorter but fatter.

To throw something else into the mix, maybe you could have a look at the klarus mi x5 AAAA? It will be a fraction slimmer and shorter than most AAA lights, offers 3 modes.

joe1512

Enlightened
There is a roundup of small lights on this forum somewhere. Try the Sticky.

In it, they review the Wee, Drake, Draco, Photon, and various other tiny lights. There is also the 38DD. I personally carry an itp A1 which uses an RCR123 on my keychain. It is huge by comparison, but at 2.3 inches long it fits just fine and goes along with my keys.

For me the problem is economics. Sure I want a bright tiny light but once you start going smaller than a AAA light, it gets REAL expensive! Either that or the output is weak.

Honestly if you are wanting it for extended walks, then you should at least use a AAA sized light. THe smaller lights simply won't have the runtime.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Although a beautiful light, I think you may find the McGizmo Sapphire too dim for your stated needs.

Peak Eiger (or the ShastaX, which runs on an N-cell) may be a good choice, and well under your listed budget. There has also been a limited edition Titanium AAA Peak, if you really want to spend more for that.

The Klarus X5 mentioned above is another excellent thought, if you want the slimmest possible light, but it runs on AAAA ("quad-A") batteries which are a bit difficult to source.

kubus_pl

Newly Enlightened
Gosh, Im really amazed that so many users gived me so many helpful hands!
Thats really impressive. Ive never met with so much attention at forums for just a one guy ;)
Well, that makes me think that its the most friendly and helpful forum ever ;)
:thanks:

So, Wee NS(25 lumen NS too?) is hard to get nowadays? Im considering to take one next year as a backup key-chain light after I get a dual-level(smtg like 100/20 lumens) carried in a pocket.
Well, the Sapphire is a slim, great looking light but it isnt powerful enough for mine purposes, does it?

And just a small thing -> the size and power >>> runtime for me. 1,5hour is enough because those nightwalks never take more than 1-1.5hour but 50 lumens is a min. output for mine purposes or am I wrong?

blackfly

Enlightened
The Wee doesn't get 1.5hrs of runtime. I did my own runtime test & got about 35 minute of usable light with the 25 lumen emitter. After that the brightness rapidly deteriorates. The Wee uses Li-Ion batteries & you can't let them run all the way down between charging. 1.5 hrs is claimed but you really don't get that much runtime. If you decide to buy a Wee, or a Raw, & want to avoid the wait, you can always buy one in the B/S/T section. As for the Sapphire, I haven't owned one. But I have had multiple AAA lights that are similar. They get more runtime & operate on more common batteries. Take a look at the Muyshondt Aeon also. I just sold mine, but missed it, & had to buy another. It operates on a CR2 battery & has two levels of light. It is similar to the Raw & has a price in the range you specified.

G.H.

Newly Enlightened
Hi Jakub,

two years ago I was thinking about the same question you are pondering about today. Not satisfied with the bulkiness of even the (then) smallest possible CR123-powered light (it was a FENIX P1D, which I still carry as backup in my backpack), I was looking for something REALLY edc-able. Something that easily fits into the small pocket of my jeans and which comes in handy in nearly the same cirumstances you are talking about.

At this time Rob (that's the guy behind the LUMMI-lights) was talking here on CPF about his newest project - the RAW SS (solid steel). I e-mailed him, asked for a 20-200 version without any fancy glow-in-the-dark applications and less than two monthts later I had my light in the mail. Nothing to complain about the deal - and if you ask what to choose, that's my recommendation.

As you must have studied the pictures, you already know that the light looks very cute. The 200 lumens are really bright. Very nice to impress your friends - and to light your way, of course. Tiny as the torch is, so easily the battery is depleted on high. I would say it lasts not more than 15 minutes, so better get a spare one.

From a German internet shop I got a WEE (100 lumen version) half a year later. This one is even smaller, but because of the full flood beam pattern and lacking brightness I wouldn't recommend it for edc.

Please note that I bought my RAW before some ugly posts appeared on the Cheers and Jeers section. Today I have some mixed feelings about doing business with Rob. But again - our deal went smooth as silk.

Best regards,
Gunnar

shado

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about Photonfanatic's Rainbow Killer I picked one up last year and love it! Fred's work is amazing and he's great to deal with!

p1040122.jpg

hazna

Enlightened
And just a small thing -> the size and power >>> runtime for me. 1,5hour is enough because those nightwalks never take more than 1-1.5hour but 50 lumens is a min. output for mine purposes or am I wrong?

If you need 50 lumen+ for ~1 hour, you'll need to get a AAA or CR2 light