HDS 120 clicky --verses-- HDS 170 clicky for $60. more ?

dcbeane

Newly Enlightened
Hi! I have not been on this board for a long time.:wave:

I'm looking for a pocket light with a click switch in the tail cap that can be used with one hand. I have a Ra-85-Tr and a EDC-140-Tw and have been carrying the EDC-140-Tw lately. I have a CCW permit and the twisty is just not the light for this.
So.... how much difference am I going to see between the 120 and 170 in brightness and throw?
My Ra-85-Tr out throws the EDC-140-Tw .....and has plenty spill too.
I am wondering if there is another $60. worth of pissing the wife off :shakeheadin the more expensive light? I'm guess not but was interested in some opinions.

I'm thinking the 120 lumen HDS lights are priced at $99. to close them out?
They compare favorably to used lights on the buy and sell forum. It seems like a good deal ....even more so when compared to the current Rotary for $200.:eek:oo:

scout24

Flashaholic
Personally, $60.00 is a whole lot of batteries... I think the 120's are a steal at $99.00. IIRC from having my Ti Clicky, the 170lm. beam is definitely tighter than the 120 or my lone remaining Ra, the High-CRI Clicky. I stated my very humble opinion before regarding CCW and our wonderful lights: They'll reach farther than any of us have any business pulling the trigger... My $.02... :)

Mtbmurf

Newly Enlightened
Got into hds by buying a New version 120e to try..... Then ran out and got a tactical one too cause they are just awesome... I have over 30 lights and atleast 20 edc size and the hds rarely ever leaves my pocket... I have tcr ti sunway v10r ti etc with alot more lumens but for a hundred bucks the new hds are a STEAL.... I rarely ever need more light than the 120 has to offer..... I debated the same as you but got 2 lights for 200 instead of 1 for 160.....lol

Kyle K

Newly Enlightened
I have a 120T and it's bright enough for me. I love the beam pattern of the Golden Dragon emitters. I find the beam as useful as many of my lights in the 180 -200 lumen range. In fact, it's one of my favorites. I think the practical advantage of the 170 models for me would lie in the ability to dial the output down to the same level as the 120 while increasing runtime.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
To make your wife less mad, you could sell a light to make up the difference towards the nicer light ;)