Suggestions for small-mid size AA-D Cell.

U

user1016

Hi there guys,

I'm in the market for an EDC flashlight. I used to just carry one of the new Minimag LED models, and also trialed a Led Lenser but wasn't happy with them either (the button in the end was too hard to push, being set in a tiny hole, you'd have you use your pinky finger or have small fingers to be able to turn it on and off.

What I'd like to get:

* Small-mid size light (anything from the size of a Minimag 2AA, to a Mag 2D/Lenser P14) for EDC

* Runs on AA, C or D cells (even if just standard Duracells, would invest in NimH's if I really liked it)

* Tailcap pushbutton to turn on and off

* Focusable from flood to spot

* Reasonably bright.

* At least more than 200 lumens? Not sure if this is asking for too much on these specs.

Basically if the Led Lenser P14 had a decent button I'd be happy. I can't say I'm a huge fan of having 50 modes like "strobe" and "low power", as I'd prefer it to just turn on when I hit the button every time instead of cycling around to different modes as the MiniMagLED does. I would've been tempted to try the Maglite XL50 had it not been given the extra modes, but I still might one day.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy James,
There are a lot of lights that might work for you, except for the focusing part, as those seem to be few and far between. Here is a link to a recent thread discussing a similar request for a new EDC light:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?315853-Need-1AA-Light-Advice

I tend to think that one of the Zebralights (like the SC51) would suit you well:
http://www.zebralight.com/SC51-Flashlight-AA-200Lm_p_43.html

Do notice that Zebralight also offers that same torch with a warmer tinted LED, although will slightly less lumens. A lot of folks find the warmer LEDs better suited for outdoor lighting, if that makes a difference to you.

However, you mentioned C or D cell sized lights as possibilities, so I wonder if the upcoming (not yet released) 4xAA Zebralight Q50 might be just the ticket. The Q50 is the 4xAA version of the about to be released SC600, so probably about the same specs and price:
http://www.zebralight.com/SC600-Cree-XM-L-750Lm-Flashlight-18650_p_55.html

Same thing with both the Q50 and SC600, Zebralight will be releasing those in both cool white LED (maximum brightness) and neutral or warm tints (slightly less bright).

I will mention that both the Q50 and SC600 are using the new XM-L emitter which will probably be a bit more floody, so keep that in mind.

Here is an older (late 2008), but still meaningful roundup review of some 2xAA lights:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...nix-Nitecore-Olight-ITP-Eagletac-Jetbeam-Mag-...

I mentioned the Zebralight SC51 because for the moment it seems to put out the most lumens from a single AA NiMh cell, but there are many others small AA lights that can put out a lot of lumens if they are using a lithium-ion 3.7 volt rechargeable 14500 cell. Thrunite, 4 Sevens Quark, Sunwayman, Eagletac, etc.

I'm sure others will chime in with some good suggestions. Spend some time reading here and I bet you'll find what you are looking for.

Lightman2

Enlightened
Agreed with Derek re the Zebra SC51 which I have however I note a couple of requirements that being the end cap push button and focusable from flood to spot. The Zebra's do not have a push button tailcap and I personally do not know of any focusable LED light other than the LedLenser (some model??). May I suggest the Eagletac P20A2 MKII. You may want to look at my (needs to be adjusted) spread sheet on my signature which may help. I am also looking at the Fenix TK50.

uknewbie

Banned
Wolf Eyes Krait R2.

http://www.heinnie.com/Flashlights/Wolf-Eyes-Flashlights/Wolf-Eyes-Flashlights-Krait/p-97-299-4988/

* Small-mid size light (anything from the size of a Minimag 2AA, to a Mag 2D/Lenser P14) for EDC - 2 x AA, check.

* Runs on AA, C or D cells (even if just standard Duracells, would invest in NimH's if I really liked it) - Alkaline, Nimh, check.

* Tailcap pushbutton to turn on and off - check.

* Focusable from flood to spot - Push/pull aspheric with reflector, check.

* Reasonably bright. - Check, good throw too.

* At least more than 200 lumens? Not sure if this is asking for too much on these specs. - 225 lumens, check.

U

user1016

Wolf Eyes Krait R2.

http://www.heinnie.com/Flashlights/Wolf-Eyes-Flashlights/Wolf-Eyes-Flashlights-Krait/p-97-299-4988/

* Small-mid size light (anything from the size of a Minimag 2AA, to a Mag 2D/Lenser P14) for EDC - 2 x AA, check.

* Runs on AA, C or D cells (even if just standard Duracells, would invest in NimH's if I really liked it) - Alkaline, Nimh, check.

* At least more than 200 lumens? Not sure if this is asking for too much on these specs. - 225 lumens, check.

Sounds like a great option, thanks to all above who've posted.

Quick question about the Wolf Eyes model, how are the strobe modes and other modes achieved?

Alternatively I guess I could try the P14 (My mistake, I had tried the smaller AAA P7 model). If it's a bigger flashlight I'd assume the button on the end is bigger too.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
The one requirement that really narrows the field is the flood to spot adjustable focus. That alone rules out 95% of the nice lights on the market. If you can live without that, there will be a whole world of lights to choose from.

U

user1016

The one requirement that really narrows the field is the flood to spot adjustable focus. That alone rules out 95% of the nice lights on the market. If you can live without that, there will be a whole world of lights to choose from.

Technically I could, but it's nice to know it's there. I just find sometimes I like to spread it out a bit for things such as cave exploring or abandoned building exploration, rather than have it focus everything into a super bright dot the size of a basketball when I'm only looking at things a few metres away. I can definitely live with it though =) So far I've got a Mag 4D with a Malkoff dropin, and if it didn't have the large dark spot in the middle, it'd be casting the perfect light (anyone know off hand how many lumens the Malkoff D cell dropins are?)

uknewbie

Banned
Sounds like a great option, thanks to all above who've posted.

Quick question about the Wolf Eyes model, how are the strobe modes and other modes achieved?

Alternatively I guess I could try the P14 (My mistake, I had tried the smaller AAA P7 model). If it's a bigger flashlight I'd assume the button on the end is bigger too.

I got my Krait not long ago and like it a lot. The spot to flood is a fantastic feature I think, really makes it stand out from the crowd and very versatile.

Modes if I am right go

Press for high, then soft click for sequence, which is:

High > Medium > Low > High > Strobe > Medium > Low.

Napalm

Enlightened
I just find sometimes I like to spread it out a bit for things such as cave exploring or abandoned building exploration, rather than have it focus everything into a super bright dot the size of a basketball when I'm only looking at things a few metres away.

I'd say take a look at higher powered but floodier lights. At longer distances they'll do as well as better focused but lower powered lights, and they will provide some good spread too. Something like the Sunwayman 40A. 4xAA eneloops, half the size of a Maglite 2D. No tail switch but if you examine how it works you realize you don't need one :thumbsup:

Nap.

SirJohn

Newly Enlightened
You sound like a good candidate for a Jetbeam BA20, reasonably cheap two mode light, running on 2xaa with 260 lumens on high. It doesn't have the flood to throw adjustability but does provide a nice beam with a lot of spill and reasonable throw in a compact light.

uknewbie

Banned
I'd say take a look at higher powered but floodier lights. At longer distances they'll do as well as better focused but lower powered lights, and they will provide some good spread too. Something like the Sunwayman 40A. 4xAA eneloops, half the size of a Maglite 2D. No tail switch but if you examine how it works you realize you don't need one :thumbsup:

Nap.

Depends how much throw you need or want. Lumens don't make up for lack of focus though.

Just look at the deft.

My Krait out throws my Elektrolumens Firesword. Of course the Firesword lights up a huge area and is some 3000 emitter lumens, but in terms of pure throw, the really tight focus wins out, despite much much lower output.

Hawkman

Newly Enlightened
Wolf Eyes Krait R2.

Nice. Run time of 70 minutes kills it for me, though. :(

uknewbie

Banned
Nice. Run time of 70 minutes kills it for me, though. :(

Yeah I kinda know what you mean. Bear in mind though that it runs 225 lumens from just 2 x AA, and thre are three modes if you want less light and more time. I don't know either what that runtime is based upon, alkaline or NiMH? I am running XX Eneloop 2500mAh in mine and would not be surprised if it ran for longer than quoted.

silentlurker

Newly Enlightened
Lots of people seem to like the Zebralight SC51, but the UI scares me. Not only does it seem like a chore to select the light level you want, but it's unclear to me how to switch around from one mode to another. I'm worried that I'll end up fumbling for my desired light level. Does anyone have this problem with fancy UIs like that?

Also, why aren't all of the modes current-regulated? Must be a technical limitation, but what is the limitation?

Last edited:

Deal4

Enlightened
Lots of people seem to like the Zebralight SC51, but the UI scares me. Not only does it seem like a chore to select the light level you want, but it's unclear to me how to switch around from one mode to another. I'm worried that I'll end up fumbling for my desired light level. Does anyone have this problem with fancy UIs like that?
I have the Zebralight SC51, and I understand what you are saying about how the UI sounds scary. I thought the same thing till I got this light. I now have to say that this is by far the best light I have ever used for EDC. The amount of light is just amazing off of one AA!:faint:
The discription of the UI is a little confusing till you get it in your hand and have a couple min to play with it. I promise it is really easy to use once you play with it for a couple min.
I don't think I have any great ability to explain the UI, but I'll give it my best shot.:eek:
The first way I adjust the levels is like this:
low- a slow push
medium- double click
high- quick push
The other way that may be a little easier to understand is it to just push down on the button and it will automatically scroll through the modes.
I also like how all modes have a high and a low as well which means you actually have 6 modes. When in a certain mode you just double click and it will either switch to the higher or the lower of that mode.
Well, I don't know if I have cleared things up for you or just made you completely confused,:tinfoil: but either way I can assure you that you will love this light!

Lightman2

Enlightened

Also, why aren't all of the modes current-regulated? Must be a technical limitation, but what is the limitation?

Your'e kidding me right?? I have a SC51 and think it is a very nice light. Didn't take long at all to master the UI's. Long hold press for low, keep it pressed to scroll through from there (low) to med and high. Fast/quick single press goes directly to high. Press and hold anywhere you are to scroll through from there to low and through to med then high etc. On any mode (low, med, high) stop and then quick double press to see the alternate mode. Fast/quick double press when the light is off to go straight into med mode. There you have it.

silentlurker

Newly Enlightened
After reading both of your explanations I think I got it. Thanks! And sorry for the thread jack, but hopefully the info is pertinent to the OP (or others) choosing a light!

Napalm

Enlightened
Your'e kidding me right?? I have a SC51 and think it is a very nice light. Didn't take long at all to master the UI's. Long hold press for low, keep it pressed to scroll through from there (low) to med and high. Fast/quick single press goes directly to high. Press and hold anywhere you are to scroll through from there to low and through to med then high etc. On any mode (low, med, high) stop and then quick double press to see the alternate mode. Fast/quick double press when the light is off to go straight into med mode. There you have it.

What's next? An iPhone controlled flashlight? Need it to go to "SOS" mode? There's an app for that! :nana:

Nap.

silentlurker

Newly Enlightened
This is going to be a problem for my wallet. I had my heart set on a Fenix LD40 and a pack of four eneloops. If I get a Zebralight SC51 and another pack of four eneloops that will leave three eneloops to spare, and I must put them to use. All of my existing AA lights got corroded and it will be some time before I get to cleaning them out. What are my best options for using the remaining three eneloops (i.e. what do I buy)?

OP: What did you decide on finally?

Lightman2

Enlightened
This is going to be a problem for my wallet. I had my heart set on a Fenix LD40 and a pack of four eneloops. If I get a Zebralight SC51 and another pack of four eneloops that will leave three eneloops to spare, and I must put them to use. All of my existing AA lights got corroded and it will be some time before I get to cleaning them out. What are my best options for using the remaining three eneloops (i.e. what do I buy)?

OP: What did you decide on finally?

Get the SC51 and the Eagletac P20A2 MKII wit the S2 LED at approx 320 lumens. That will leave you with one spare cell for the SC51 when you rotate it to charge. Oh and by the way I was not being smart when I mentioned about your issue with the SC51 UI's.