Which fishing knot do you use?

tomp

Newly Enlightened
palomar knot is best but be sure to lick/wet the line before you cinch it tight. This will prevent friction from causing heat damage to the line.

john-paul

Newly Enlightened
Usually Palomar or snell depending on my mood. Rapala knot for lures, and usually a blood knot for leaders. As already mentioned, always wet the line before you pull it tight.

DaveyJones

Newly Enlightened
fishermans knot for joining lines, classic noose for fixing hooks.

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
Geez, didn't know there were so many knots.

Before learning the 2 knots I mentioned above, I usually tied the hook the way I tied a rope to a tree. I think that knot is call a dead knot???

PapaLumen

Enlightened
Grinner knot usually.

*edit* No I don't, turns out its a palomar knot that I have been calling a grinner knot for 20 years lol

Last edited:

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
Generally I tie off with the Trilene knot, it retains 100% of line test strength. I tried a palomar knot when using 20# flourocarbon line and it performed flawlessly at Lake Fork. Just be sure the chosen knot does not weaken the line in the process.

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really depends upon what you are tying the knot to and what pound test the line is. Generally speaking for artifical lures with light light line (#10 to #40 mono) I will use an improve clinch. If you are using heavier line with hook, I would go with a palomer or snell.

A palomer knot will slip out with braid.

Different knots are better in different situations.

MSax

Mr Bigglow

Enlightened
Improved clinch knot is the one I use for most all flies, both because it's strong, because it can be tied intuitively, because it's the only strong one I learned when I learned when I was first learning as an adult and I used it for decades after that (before that, I used a turle, as learned at my father's knee, but those really don't hack it with modern materials). For almost every other purpose in day-to-day life, the fisherman's knot is the king- unless you happen to want to untie the knot afterwards.

Last edited:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Uni

a bit more involved, gives 100% line strength and its what I'm used to tying.
Also, do Uni-Uni knot for Fireline to Fluorocarbon leader

Shimano Spinning reels :thumbsup:

siggy

Newly Enlightened
I use the palomar when tying directly to the hook but when I'm using a mono leader tied to braid I use the improved albright.

beerwax

Enlightened
a large measure of the success of any particular fishing knot in any of braid flourocarbon or nylon has to do with the execution. friction and untidyness are the enemy. cheers (beerwax- knotmaster class 1b specific detailed knowledge of the theory and practise of a small number of knots and knot technique.)

jc32754

Newly Enlightened
Really depends upon what you are tying the knot to and what pound test the line is. Generally speaking for artifical lures with light light line (#10 to #40 mono) I will use an improve clinch. If you are using heavier line with hook, I would go with a palomer or snell.

A palomer knot will slip out with braid.

Different knots are better in different situations.

MSax

Using braid requires good knot tying. As a professional captain in Alaska fishing for huge halibut, it was apparent that the knot was the weakest link.

I used the double Palomar. Never had one slip. I also used the improved Uni-knot.

To back up my comment, I landed a 160 lb. halibut using 50 lb. test braid.

Last edited: