4Sevens Quark MiniAA issues - Help me decide on a replacement light

mckeand13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently decided to purchase a 4Sevens Quark MiniAA to replace my Fenix E01. I was looking for a lot more output and the variety of modes sounded nice.

When I received the light I immediately noticed that the threads of the head were really sloppy. As I turn it on and off it wobbles around. This gives it a really cheap feel. It's also somewhat hard to get the correct mode selected as any side movement turns it off and on again so quickly it switches modes.

I've contacted 4Sevens about the problem and they have stated that the loose fitting threads are "part of the design" and it is what it is. Based on that, the light will be going back.

As I look for other possible candidates, I'm thinking Fenix LD15.

I know the LD15 has only 2 modes which I'm fine with. The sizes are almost exactly the same.

My E01 feels very solid and well built, I just wish it had more output. The LD01 also looks nice but for this application I'm looking for an AA light. Other brand lights seem to get quite a bit larger even in the AA size and I don't want to go any larger.

Can anyone commend on the quality, build differences, or output between the LD15 and the MiniAA?

The lights use different LED's. The MiniAA uses an XP-G R5 and the LD15 uses an XP-G R4. I've never seen the R4 before. What are the differences between these LED's?

Thanks.

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
The lights use different LED's. The MiniAA uses an XP-G R5 and the LD15 uses an XP-G R4. I've never seen the R4 before. What are the differences between these LED's?
The R5 & R4 designations are for the flux (brightness). The R5 is a slightly more efficient bin than the R4 (about 7% brighter). Since they are both Cree XP-G's, they will mostly be the same & you can't really generalize about the tint without more information.

In order to keep my Flashoholic status, I feel I must suggest another more expensive option for you to consider. Check out the Zebralight SC51/SC50. If you look at the photo in Selfbuilt's review, they are only slightly bigger than the Mini AA. Personally, I find them much more pocket friendly due to the clip. The SC50+ & SC50W+ are both on clearance at Zebralights right now which brings them closer in price to LD15. If price is less of an issue, the SC51 & SC51W offer increased performance.

I think all the output options & excellent user interface make them worth the extra cash.

Hope this helps.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on the SC50/51.

I have both a neutral Mini AA and an SC50w+ and by far I prefer the ZL as my EDC pocket light.

I love being able to keep it clipped in my pocket so it doesn't rattle around with other stuff that I might be carrying. The greater range of modes (particularly the moonlight mode), the outstanding UI, and the slightly warmer tint (although I have come to appreciate the slightly cooler tints of the new neutral XPG's) are all reasons why I prefer it. I tried a suspension clip with the Mini but it still bangs around in my pocket, so there's no real difference than just keeping it on my keys. I've been carrying my SC50w+ as my primary EDC for nearly 8 mos. now, and of the small 1xAA lights on the market, the only thing I could see myself replacing it with would be one of the new SC51c high CRI models that ZL just came out with.

Napalm

Enlightened
...When I received the light I immediately noticed that the threads of the head were really sloppy. As I turn it on and off it wobbles around. This gives it a really cheap feel. It's also somewhat hard to get the correct mode selected as any side movement turns it off and on again so quickly it switches modes....

If you're looking for a solid well designed and built 1xAA light check the Sunwayman M10A.

Nap.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix Store has THIS posted .......... for LD15

This product is out of stock and cannot be back-ordered.
~

Fenix-Store.com is owned by 4sevens. 4sevens (fenix Store) was a big Fenix dealer before they became a manufacturer. They are ending their relationship with Fenix so that is why 4sevens will not re-order any Fenix inventory that is low or out. You can get that light at many other places and for less money too.

mckeand13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anybody have both the MiniAA and the LD15 who can make a comparison of the two?

Thanks.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know but I have had three MiNi AA which performed flawlessly and has very well fitted threading that does not wobble. Mode switching has been accurate and predictable on all three MiNi AAs. In fact this wobbling issue that you have encountered seems more prevalent in the 123 models than the AA models. Maybe you just lost out on the lottery.

mckeand13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the suggestions on the Zebralight. I did look at them but I don't care for the size and shape. Just not my thing.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I also have a QMini WW and a SC50w+ and much prefer the Zebralight. Ease of operation, greater efficiency, and a clip are the main factors.

Geoff

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also have a QMini WW and a SC50w+ and much prefer the Zebralight. Ease of operation, greater efficiency, and a clip are the main factors.

Geoff

I have a mini AA and an SC50+ and sc51w. The Zebralights are in a totally different class. For the slight amount of extra money, they are well worth it over the mini IMO.

T45

Enlightened
I don't know but I have had three MiNi AA which performed flawlessly and has very well fitted threading that does not wobble. Mode switching has been accurate and predictable on all three MiNi AAs. In fact this wobbling issue that you have encountered seems more prevalent in the 123 models than the AA models. Maybe you just lost out on the lottery.

I have a Quark Mini 123 XM-L model and a Maratac AA in Stainless steel. I was surprised to find out the Mini XM-L does have looser threads than the Maratac. I wish 4Sevens would re-consider their design and tighten up the thread specs for all their twisty models as it seems to be an issue a great many people are dissatisfied with. I was going to suggest you getting a Maratac AA model, but it seems you would prefer a different UI all together.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I find it hard to believe that loose threads are part of the Mini AA's design. No way......No how..... I just can't see this with any light and with a twisty at that! In any case I have a Mini AA and the threads are prefect. I know iTP makes the A2 (almost same as the MiniAA) and the one I got didn't have loose threads either. I think they're in the 20ish range.

larry1302

Newly Enlightened

Geoff

I agree, the fit and finish of the zebralight are a+, the issue I have with it is the switch, the light tends to turn on in my pocket and it gets :eek:HOT:eek:. I've tried loosening the tail cap but then occasionally it comes totally off. If this light had a little more pressure behind the switch it would be my favorite EDC.

cm_mtb

Enlightened
You could experiment with wrapping a thin strip of masking or painter's tape around the threads. I have a thin strip wrapped around about 3/4 of the threads on my Mini 123, and there is no thread slop. I don't think the level of slop from the factory is justified, but this simple mod makes it a decent light for the money.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could experiment with wrapping a thin strip of masking or painter's tape around the threads...

Try the teflon tape designed for pipe threads and sold in the plumbing department of most home center stores. It does not leave an adhesive residue because it does not use an adhesive.

Hobbs

Newly Enlightened
"part of the design"
pofl.gif
Thanx, I needed a laugh!

cm_mtb

Enlightened
Try the teflon tape designed for pipe threads and sold in the plumbing department of most home center stores. It does not leave an adhesive residue because it does not use an adhesive.

I was originally going to try that, but I went with painter's tape in the mean time. I've been using the tape for several months and it does leave a little bit of residue, but it's easy to clean off. Teflon tape is certainly the optimal option, though.

Ian2381

Enlightened

I also have three Mini AA and one is titanium. I cant interchange the bodies of my two aluminum MiNis so maybe they have issues on body fits. my 3 MiNi AAs has been perfect for me.

For reliability its better to go for a twisty light and I believe the LD15 fits your bill...

Last edited:

Lightman2

Enlightened
Gutted to hear 47's saying that is part of the design. I have a nice Quark Mini 123 and the threads are ok to me and I cannot see how a sloppy thread would make any differance to the lights function (unless I am missing something here). Tut Tut 47's. Therefore (as I own one too) a Zebra SC51. You say it ain't your thing cause of the shape but you too, like us all who own them, will come to love it and if not then a great present to someone you know. Teflon tape is a thread sealant tape and used in places where there is no repeated turning. For repeated turning (such as with the bezel) you would need a non setting thread sealer from an engineering supplies outlet. If the head is sloppy in it's threads then no amount of fix will make it a permanent one.

Last edited: