Flash Light Chess Board Challenge?

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was looking a some of my lights standing on a table and I had the notion that they looked like chess pieces and if you had the right lights you could make a whole flash light chess set. Now, obviously I couldn't be the first person to think up this idea so I did some searching and sure enough there are a few old threads about this. Without a doubt the best one I came across (there are not many) is from 8/2009 where ElectronGuru created an amazing Surefire chess board and did a spectacular photo. There's only one problem, though. Both sides of the board are black and that could make for a pretty confusing game even if the finishes are matte and gloss, so I got to thinking.......(always dangerous).

We need a chess set made with black HA lights on one side and stainless/titanium lights on the other. It could be a mixture of brands or one manufacturer but both sides of the board have to have matching game pieces.

Solarforce comes to mind as the single manufacturer to offer enough lights and lego options in the same hosts in different finishes that it may well be the only brand that could have its own set, but maybe not. The other option would be to mix brands. I'm thinking stainless Preon Revos and black Preon Revos as pawns as a starting off place and there are a couple of 4Sevens models in black and titanium that would work for a few of the pieces and then build the set from other suppliers. There's some ITP and Maratac options that come to mind that are available in black and SS or Ti finishes. Obviously, there are many, many other brands and possibilities. You get the idea.

I wish I had the budget to just go out and create the perfect chess set but, alas that is not in the cards, or in the wallet at the moment. Maybe someone else here has all the right lights. Well, at least we can come up some possibilities for the ultimate flash light chess board. That's the challenge. Any ideas?

P.S. I like what ElectronGuru did with the tail caps as pawns and other parts but this challenge is a little harder. You need to use complete lights for each individual chess piece!

Last edited:

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey that's really nice Beamhead! You've definitely got the right idea, but that was quite awhile ago. I'll bet you've got a few new pieces to add to the set by now. Time for an update!.......(wink,wink) :)
Come to think of it I know ElectronGuru's got some cool new chess pieces sittin' around too that he didn't have in 2009! (more wink, wink) :D

Beamhead, you should consider reposting that old photo over here for a point of reference if this thread gets some good entries.

Last edited: