fenix tk 15 vs klarus xt1o

sleep creeper

Newly Enlightened
Hi i have narrowed my choice to 2... i have seen both your videos but i want to get the fenix tk15 or klarus xt10...im more interested in throw but i seem to like the interface of the klarus and runtime of cr123s..is there really a big difference in throw and brightness between the both of them???? thank you

Robocopmurphy

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
I hope you figured out which was the best choice and help me with my choice. I like the look of the and feel of the Klarus XT10 and the toggle modes on back and the lm output. I also like the power of the Fenix X15 but not sure which is better. I am looking for concentrated Beam nar.row with lots of throw less spill.

And I think I like the XT11 Klarus even more than the x15.

Not sure is one LED bulb better than the other/ Xxm-L or 2LED or the TL-?????

any ways thanks if any suggestions

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check the "Throw/Output Summary Chart" here for the XT10 and XT11.
Then check "Throw/Output Summary Chart" the here for the TK15.
The TK15 seems to definitely have better throw but the XT10 and XT11 are not that much behind.
If I were you I would factor in more features and capabilities to make your decision: UI (as you already mentioned), operation, output levels and runtimes per battery type.

Hope you get hands-on feedback by somebody who also owns both lights.

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
310' for the XT10

190' for the TK15

2 hrs 18 minutes of run time on high for XT10

1 hr 32 min minutes on high for TK15

I'd call it in favor of the XT10...in every category...it beats the TK15 soundly.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check the "Throw/Output Summary Chart" here for the XT10 and XT11.
If I were you I would factor in more features and capabilities to make your decision: UI (as you already mentioned), operation, output levels and runtimes per battery type.

You should also check the JetBeam PC25 which seems to be in the same category and also has a dual switch just like the XT10. Throw is not its strongest point unless JetBeam specs are underestimated.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
You should also check the JetBeam PC25 which seems to be in the same category and also has a dual switch just like the XT10. Throw is not its strongest point unless JetBeam specs are underestimated.

The PC25 is not even close in performance.....check out the reviews.

:D

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
The PC25 is not even close in performance.....check out the reviews.

I couldn't find a review with independent runtimes and beamshots for the PC25, just general reviews. Maybe I didn't look well enough! It's at least 15 euros cheaper than the XT10 so it makes sense.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
310' for the XT10

190' for the TK15

I'd call it in favor of the XT10...in every category...it beats the TK15 soundly.
Where did you find 310? XT10 has 6500 lux/1m, TK15 - 9000 lux/1m. That difference is really noticeable. And that's only for a few minutes because XT10 has a thermal stepdown. After that brightness decreases and TK15 not only beats it in terms of throw even more, but it's also brighter. So the only category Fenix can't beat the Klarus is runtime.

spc smith

Enlightened
Phantom23,

Your telling me that the Klarus XT10-11 dont throw as far as my M20X which I sold to upgrade in brightness and throw for the Klarus XT11? I guess with CR123's @t 12,400 lux it beats the Olight M20X. The M20X states 10,000 CD on the box itself. I dont think that represents throw though. On selfbuilts review, the Klarus XT11 w/ 1X18650 battery puts out 7,600 lux. Is this going to be a not only a jump in brightness but also throw?

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. XT10 and 11 are different flashlights.
2. XT10 is both dimmer and throws less than M20X (yes, 10k cd represents throw - it's 10000 lux/1m). XT10 is brighter than Fenix TK15 for 5 minutes and dimmer after 5 minutes. Always throws significantly less than TK15. It has good runtime though.
3. XT11 is different but it's bright only with 2xCR123 batteries (and for 5 minutes - before stepdown). Throws nice just because of sheer power. If you plan to use it with 18650 think again because with single Li-Ion cell it's neither very bright, nor throwy.

spc smith

Enlightened
Phantom23,

I beg to differ on your opinion of the XT11 not being bright. From what ive heard (not experienced of myself) and read, first and foremost from Andy and Marshall at goinggear (reputable sources of intel), The Klarus XT11 is no slouch in performance in terms of brightness. I cant speak for the Fenix TK15 or newer version that might be out though. Madecov has the Olight M21X, and a number of other lights, and he quite likes his Klarus XT11 compared to the more throwy, brighter light M21X. I had the M20X, and I have the XT11 on order, If the Klarus pairs in performance to the M20X, that would be awesome!

TEEJ

Flashaholic
The XT11 has a floody beam...it is not maximized for throw...but it does throw due to shear horsepower. The X10 has a narrower beam than the XT11, and throws harder than it, but with less flood.

In use (I have all of these lights), the XT11 is best when you want to see more at once, as it lights up a large area at a time with a large flood of light with a hot spot at center....as opposed to say a ZL SC600, which does the same thing, with no hot spot at center, but a much smaller distance from you than the throwier XT11.

The XT10's narrower beam throws that light further away, but lights up a smaller target area at a time...so you can SEE a target further away with the XT10 than the XT11, but the circle of light will be smaller to get that concentration.

This difference in beam type tends to confuse people when focusing on Lumens, etc....as they are distributed differently.

From Review #1 - (XT11)

"an estimated ~750 ANSI FL-1 lumens and ~700 ANSI FL-1 lumens, respectively, initially (with a common estimated ~530 lumens right after step-down at 3mins).
ooo.gif
"

From Review #2 - (TK15)

The TK15 was rated at a MAXIMUM of ~ 380 lumens on max output - LOWER than the XT11 is AFTER its step down to 530 lumens...from ~700 lumens.

The TK15's beam profile though, akin to the XT10 - is designed to focus the beam down range too.

So, anyway...the type of beam profile that works for an individual will mean that any of the lights can be the right choice...and its just a question of choosing the right tool for the job.

When reaching for a socket...I might see two 22 mm sockets, but one is for a 1/2" drive, and one is for a 3/8" drive ratchet....

The lumens might be OK, but the beam SHAPE might be different...and so forth.

Last edited:

spc smith

Enlightened
Hey Teej thanks for the input. Well dang then! I sold my M20X to get the XT11. However I do like the UI and overall build. Maybe both lights will throw the same. Who knows and I havent got my Doggon order in yet! but again thanks for the explanation TEEJ!

Smith out:thumbsup:

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
Phantom23,

I beg to differ on your opinion of the XT11 not being bright. From what ive heard (not experienced of myself) and read, first and foremost from Andy and Marshall at goinggear (reputable sources of intel), The Klarus XT11 is no slouch in performance in terms of brightness. I cant speak for the Fenix TK15 or newer version that might be out though. Madecov has the Olight M21X, and a number of other lights, and he quite likes his Klarus XT11 compared to the more throwy, brighter light M21X. I had the M20X, and I have the XT11 on order, If the Klarus pairs in performance to the M20X, that would be awesome!
XT11 IS bright. Thing is - it's very bright on 2xCR123 batteries only. And only for first 3 minutes. After that (or powered by 1x18650 cell) is just average. Average means it would probably be as bright as your M20X but with more floody beam=less throw.
The X10 has a narrower beam than the XT11, and throws harder than it, but with less flood.
XT10 has almost the same beam pattern as XT11 - both are quite floody.
From Review #1 - (XT11)
"an estimated ~750 ANSI FL-1 lumens and ~700 ANSI FL-1 lumens, respectively, initially (with a common estimated ~530 lumens right after step-down at 3mins). :eek:oo:"

From Review #2 - (TK15)
The TK15 was rated at a MAXIMUM of ~ 380 lumens on max output - LOWER than the XT11 is AFTER its step down to 530 lumens...from ~700 lumens.

The TK15's beam profile though, akin to the XT10 - is designed to focus the beam down range too.
One more quote from the same review:

"1x18650 mode is an estimated ~550 ANSI FL-1 lumens initially (estimated ~370 lumens after step-down at 3 mins)"

If you plan to use 18650 cells - get TK15. It will be as bright but with much more throw. About beam profile - that's what I was talking about. Fenix has tighter beam and throws nicely - better than XT11 in most circumstances. Klarus throws better in one situation - for 3 minutres when powered with CR123 batteries. Otherwise it's worse. And that's the thing, there's no simple answer which one's better. If you want "wall of light" (not literally of course) with limited/moderate throw, get a Klarus. But if you want some throw as well - get Fenix.

PS. And if you can spend a little bit more (about $100) you may be interested in Eagle-Tac G25C2. 640 ANSI lumens with no stepdown and 15000 lux/1m (outthrows both XT11 and TK15).