Spark SL6-740NW

KLowD9x

Banned
I just received my Spark SL6-740NW.

Here is a quick comparison between a Yezl Z1X, Streamlight PT2L, 4Sevens Quark MiNi AA2 and the Spark SL6-740NW. I spent some time trying to match the white balance to make the light tints seem as real as possible. Even so, the Spark seems to be far past neutral white and well into "warm white". Especially on lower modes. Another odd thing is that on power off, the LED slowly fades away to nothing. I wonder if they use a capacitor to smooth out any PWM because there is absolutely zero PWM on any mode.

PI0ZM.jpg

Size comparison.

KRB2F.jpg

Spark SL6-740NW

WoYNB.jpg

Yezl Z1X

bvTce.jpg

4Sevens Quark MiNi AA2

DuGzB.jpg

Streamlight PT2L

GRvQY.jpg

Outdoor control shot.

8az3D.jpg

Spark SL6-740NW

34Obg.jpg

Yezl Z1X

ZTjhS.jpg

Streamlight PT2L

kJLfF.jpg

4Sevens Quark MiNi AA2

I hope this quick review was enlightening for you all. I would have added more but I am very tired. If you have questions, please ask away and I will answer them to the best of my ability.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the report! The Spark looks like a very nice light; I'm planning on getting one as soon as I can afford it.

One thing I notice of the Spark in the white wall shots though, is that it looks a little purple. Is that what it really looks like, or is it just a camera artifact?

KLowD9x

Banned
I think it is the white balance in my camera. The beam of the light is very yellow. The only light I have that is certainly purple is the Streamlight PT2L. It is the same color as my walls, which are a very creamy beige color. It has taken me a little while to get used to because I have never owned anything other than cool white LEDs but now that I have seen the colors on the wiring that I have to deal with at work come to life, I think I am going to appreciate this light a lot just because of that.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool... good to know. I seriously want one of these but have to save my pennies right now to do so... the wife'll kill me if I run the CC up with another gadget...

"What do you mean you bought another (insert one: flashlight, multitool, folding knife, etc.)!? What's wrong with the half dozen (dozen) other ones you already have!?" :whoopin:

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review and beamshots! Thanks a lot.

The light shows lovely nice wonderful neutral white tint really.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review and beamshots! Thanks a lot.

The light shows lovely nice wonderful neutral white tint really.

Indeed. The output, tint, and the size are all excellent. I also really like the dual switches as well; awesome to be able to use either grip style with the light...

My only gripe is the tail-cap design... not very lanyard friendly, and I put lanyards or neck-cords on ALL my lights... I paid to much for them to lose them accidentally...

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, the neutrals and warms are much better at contrasting colors than cool. I can imagine it's almost impossible to distinguish the various blue, purple, pink wires with a cool light.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Is it just that a photo can't do it justice or does the Spark look cheap or cheesy? Like the Trust looks much better in that picture yet I know the Spark is a quality product.

ryguy24000

Enlightened
I think the Spark color looks the best. deffinately makes things look more natural.

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it just that a photo can't do it justice or does the Spark look cheap or cheesy? Like the Trust looks much better in that picture yet I know the Spark is a quality product.
I didn't appreciate how small or solid the SL6 was until I received it. In person and in hand makes a huge difference, at least it did for me. The design may not be for everyone but I think it's a pretty sweet looking light.

KLowD9x

Banned

I actually can't stand that light. I never should have bought it. The only thing it has over the spark is square threads and even then, the threads on the spark are very nice, just a little dry.

I wouldn't mind selling it off for like 20 bucks.

yowzer

Enlightened
I have one and like a lot about it -- the looks, size, output levels, the side clicky, the tint, beam shape, the brightness on max!.

On the downside, quality is merely okay (Mine came with a couple of tiny bits of anodizing missing, which is annoying.) It feels lightweight compared to other lights), the tail switch is recessed enough to make it awkward to use, most of my batteries are too big to fit in it, and I still don't know if I like the UI or not. It takes too long to cycle through modes when pushing and holding the switch, and I'm swinging back and forth on the press for less than 1 second for momentary on thing.

KLowD9x

Banned
After using this light for roughly a week, I have two gripes.

First and foremost, the lack of glow in the dark o-rings and tail cap bugs me for some reason. I guess I got used to seeing the light on the table in the dark if I needed it. Now I have to feel around in the dark till I find it.

The second thing is the battery springs are REALLY tight. Of course, there is absolutely zero battery rattle but my AW 2900mAh 18650 takes a lot of force to close the tail cap and screw it on. This could be a problem with people with arthritic joints because it just takes that much force along with a good twist to get the cap started. Also, every thread on the light came to me without lubrication. Luckily I have tubes of silicone grease at work so everything is nice and smooth now. The quality of the threads is great but they were still just dry.

maxv

Newly Enlightened
After using this light for roughly a week, I have two gripes.

First and foremost, the lack of glow in the dark o-rings and tail cap bugs me for some reason. I guess I got used to seeing the light on the table in the dark if I needed it. Now I have to feel around in the dark till I find it.

The second thing is the battery springs are REALLY tight. Of course, there is absolutely zero battery rattle but my AW 2900mAh 18650 takes a lot of force to close the tail cap and screw it on. This could be a problem with people with arthritic joints because it just takes that much force along with a good twist to get the cap started. Also, every thread on the light came to me without lubrication. Luckily I have tubes of silicone grease at work so everything is nice and smooth now. The quality of the threads is great but they were still just dry.
Yea I was wondering if it was just mine. I think it's a posible desing flaw. I cut about 2 rounds off the spring. What differrce! Now it IS LIKE MY OTHER LIGHTS.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
I actually can't stand that light. I never should have bought it. I wouldn't mind selling it off for like 20 bucks.
I appreciate your remarks about the LP Trust2. I was about ready to get one from Batt Junction after I compared it to the LP Encore. I wonder if I'm better off with the Encore?
It claims half the lumens of the Trust 2. yet that in fact ,might exceed the actual output of the Trustfire 2. I probably will get the upgrade for my LP Incendio v3 as I reconsider my next slim 18650 rocket.